Pengwenn's hemorrhagging money

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:20 am

I did it. I'm now in debt up to my eyeballs for the next 30 years. I think the only thing they didn't ask for was a pint of blood, a stool sample and my first born child. Maybe that stuff has to be included with the first mortgage payment.
Is this my reality or yours?
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:35 pm

That's in the fine print.... 8)

Your first born on the day of thier 13th birthday must be handed over...wait that was the movie I was watching today...never mind...

Congrats, my dear...make sure you have a good plumber, electrician and handy man...for the never-ending Honey-do list...
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:09 am

Lessons in Home Ownership #1:

Even the simpiliest fixes will have their difficulties.

We tried to hang some blinds up in one of the bedrooms today and that took about 2 hours. Almost everything that could go wrong did, but we finally jury-rigged a solution for the time being. Until I have the money for proper fitting blinds it will have to do.
Last edited by pengwenn on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:54 am

Welcome to HOME OWNERSHIP~ lol
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm

Lessons in Home Ownership #2

It takes two visits from a professional to get anything fixed

I had to have the cable guy, phone guy, plumber, refrigerator delivery guys, pool guy, and my dad all come out twice to fix a single problem for each of them. Now I've had a roofer come out once for an estimate and he'll be back on Monday for repairs.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:22 pm

My sister-in-law had her baby last night. It's their 4th kid. It's a girl, but they already knew that. They can't decide on a name yet. Because they thought they might be in the hospital on Christmas morning my brother had his kids write a letter to Santa to ask if he would come yesterday before mom went into the hospital. They had their xmas early and now they've got a little sister. I don't know if I'll get to see her for awhile because I've been battling a very nasty cold for the last week and I wouldn't want to make mom or baby sick. We'll see.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:51 pm

congrats dear pengwenn. The role of Aunt is the best! All the fun and none of the aggravation...grin
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:34 am

Thanks. I could see her but I couldn't hold her. My mother did all that. Sheesh, grandmas. :roll:
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:32 am

I got a dog this weekend. A German Shephard mix. His name is Meko. It's been interesting as I get use to the dog and he gets use to me and my house. He's about 2 years old. I don't have a digital camera so I can't post a pic yet. Last night be kept waking me up every 1.5 hours. I'm so tired.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:51 am

Well a lot has happened. I took Meko for his vet checkup and found out 1) he has already had a broken hip in his life, 2) he had kennel cough, 3) neither one of his hip bones are properly alligned, 4) he will need constant medicla attention and help throughout his life and 5) he will need hip surgery sooner rather than later just to keep him mobile. After putting him on some antibiotics and cough suppresent for the kennel cough (which would go away) and a pain killer for his hips (which would always be a problem) he was a completely different dog. So much more life and energy. And then I realized that to keep him that way (the way a dog should be, IMHO) would take a lot of medical care and money. And I wouldn't be able to provide him that. I eventually decided to take him back after talking with the shelter and them telling me there are rescue groups who would take him and care for him. I was heartbrokwn but I did what I thought was best for both him and me.

After a couple of weeks back in the lonely silence I still wasn't sure I would be able to get another dog. I didn't really want a puppy and I wasn't sure I could go through something like this again with an older dog. But on Monday I went back to the shelter on a gut feeling and found a great dog. She's a 3 year old Beagle mix. All black with just a little bit of white on her chest. She's sweat and lovable, but she thinks she's a lap dog. And if you get up from your chair to go the bathroom or get a drink you're more likely to find her sitting in your spot. I have the first vet checkup on Monday so I'm hoping everything goes okay. I'm trying to name her Zoe (she was a stray so the shelter didn't know her name) but she's not really responding to it.

On top of all of that my computer at home is nonfuctioning (more about that in my writing blog). I've been using my computer at work more (like now) and occassionally I've got to my parent's house to use theirs (like to do my taxes). I feel like I'm living in the stone age without a working computer at home.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Wow Pen... that's too bad about Meko but you made the right decision because you're right... there are rescue groups for dogs like him.

Sounds like Zoe will work well for you and hopefully your vet visit will confirm it.

My dog is a yellow lab that my brother gave to me when she was about 8 weeks old. She is now two years old. She has already had one knee surgery and is scheduled for another next week. Thing is... there isn't anything wrong with her genetically. They've done Xrays and found out that, if we had wanted to, we could have bred her because her line is great. For some reason, she's just a rocket puppy and injured her first knee. A few months later... the same thing happened to the other knee. The doctor warned us that it would probably happen and sure enough.

So we now call her our FREE $4000 DOG. Plus, we just had her fixed because we didn't want to put her through breeding if she has an injured knee and we really can't afford it nor justify it because I do wonder how many people are spending lots of money on pure bred dogs right now.

Any way... I hope it all turns out great for you!!!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:04 am

The vet check was good. Zoe is sweet and lovable. I took her to my parent's house on Sunday to celebrate my mom's birthday and my nieces and nephews were there. They loved her. And she loved them. They ran her ragged and she slept like a log that night. Of course yesterday she expected the same attention but there was only me so I was constantly having a dog's face inches away from my own. My family has all commented that they think Zoe is a better fit for me personally than Meko was. He would have been a handful (medical conditions not withstanding) and Zoe is more laid back (once she's gotten some attention).
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:02 pm

I've got my tax refund and I'm hopefully going to get a computer this weekend. It's hard to get really involved in any site when all I get is a few stolen moments here at work. Like now.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:49 pm

I want a new computer. But as I figure I owe the IRS $4000 +, prolly not gonna happen.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:24 am

Well, I was suppose to go out shopping for a new computer this weekend with my brother. He's the computer geek of the family and I could use his help getting the write kind of set up. Unfortunately he wanted to take a nap instead. :roll: After I listed all the excuses he gave I realized they didn't fit in the timeline. My guess is he wanted to play some more World of Warcraft. He says his guild usually plans massive raids for Saturday afternoon. The Saturday before he was suppose to bring over a temporary computer for me to use until I got my refund but that never happened either. I think I'm just going to have to go out and get one by myself and hope for the best.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:32 am

I finally got a temporary computer from my brother. It's a basic model, outdated by today's standards, but it will do. I tried to get a case to make my old hard drive into an external hard drive for the temp computer and it took me three trips to find the kind of case I could use with my hard drive. That's how much I know about computers. :roll:
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:06 pm

I had a not to good yesterday. When I woke up to take the dog out it felt like someone had punched me in the left yee (the one I had the transplant on). I took my drops and went back to bed. I already had an eye apointment at 1:30 that day so I waited. When my mom came over to take me (I wasn't going to wear my contact lense so I couldn't see to drive) my dog got out when I was letting her in. We spent 15 running around the neighborhood before I get her back home. I wasn't wearing my sunglasses either and my eyes are sensitive to light so they started to hurt really bad before we left for the doctor.

Once at the doctor's he said my pressure looked good in both eyes, but that I was starting to show signs of rejection with my transplant. He took a needle and shot cortazone in my eye and then another needle for more cortazone in my arm. He gave me a RX for predisone pills to take and put me back on Pred Forte eye drops but I have to take them every 1/2 hour while I'm awake. The last time we had a scare it was a shot in the eye, the predisone pills and eye drops 6x a day. Since this time seems much more aggressive it really freaked me out.

One problem I have is that I can't wear my contact in my eye while I'm using the drops. The drops are a milky solution that leaves a film on the lense. They can also damage the soft outter ring on my contacts. So I'm sitting here trying to work with just one contact lense in my right eye which doesn't see all that well because it hasn't been fixed. I go back next Monday so hopefully things will be better by then.

(And hopefully this isn't littered with typos because I can't see. So go easy on me Mlou.)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon May 18, 2009 5:17 pm

I've been back to the dr two times since my last post. He says I'm getting better, but he thought I wasn't back to where I should be after the rejection. I have to go back the first week of June. Now every little twinge of my eye makes me wonder if something's wrong. I guess it will take a while to get over the fear again.

On a brighter note my swimming pool is now swimable. Ever since I've moved in I've been working on the pool equipment, cleaning the pool. or balancing the chemicals, but I haven't had the chance to get in and enjoy it. Now I can. It's amazing how therapuetic just floating around in a pool can be.

My dog, on the other hand, finds it terrifying. I want her to be able to swim so I've taken her in for swimming lessons. She won't go in on her own so I have to carry her in. The first week her heart would race, she'd start breathing hard and she clung to me like her life was in mortal peril. When I let her go to swim to the steps she'd thrash around and really wouldn't use her back legs. Now her stroke is much more controlled, her heart doesn't race as much and her breathing remains under controll until I start to let her go. She will crawl all over me if I let her and she almost dunked me once because she tried to crawl ontop of me head. I know she likes being cool afterwards, but I don't think she'll ever be a "water dog" like our family's last dog was.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue May 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Somehow a rock managed to find it's way through my front bedroom window last night. The police said it must have been kicked up by a car, but I don't buy that. The road was too far away and there's a tree in the middle of the yard but right in front of the window so it would have had to be a perfect shot to make it around the tree. Plus I didn't hear a car drive by when it happened. The whole thing sent Zoe into a tizzie. She barked at the breaking glass and then wouldn't stop barking at the hole in the window when I found it. Then there was some lightening and thunder last night and she started growling and barking at that all night long. She wouldn't go more than 2 feet away from me until we went to bed. I should be thankful that I've got her as some kind of protection (such as she is) but I think she was more freightened by the whole night than I was. Zoe likes her routine. Now I've got to leave work early to be there for them to fix the window. Where does the joy of homeownership start to kick in?
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu May 21, 2009 10:36 am

On my fifth house. If/when those "joys" show up, I'll let you know.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu May 21, 2009 12:49 pm

I also had to add a slidding bolt lock to the back yard gate this last weekend. I already had one at the top but this one I had to add at the bottom because my dog figured out that she can pull at the bottom of the gate and it will come open a little bit. Almost enough to get her head through. It would have just been a matter of time before she got it open enough to escape. I've called her Hudini many times.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:51 am

I went on an Alaskan cruise the week before Labor day and I came back with pnuemonia. I guess I deserve that for frolicking around in 50 degree weather without a jacket. Coming from 113 degrees before I left it just felt so good. Ever since then I've been concentrating more on just breathing, without wheezing or gurgling, than anything else. Who knew breathing could be so exhausthing. Once I get my pictures from my dad I'll post some.
Richard Howardson
Master Tripper

Postby Richard Howardson » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:59 pm

Ouch! you shouldn't have done that, seriously. So how are you now?

Just now i was reading a post by Elle that she wanted to visit alaska to see if it's really cold out there like they say....

Well i say give her some advice so she won't end up having pneumonia :-P

Will be waiting for the pictures.

and take care.
We think we have learned how to care for someone if we know what makes them smile....but if we really care for someone, we should know what makes them cry!
©2008 Richard Howardson
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Hasn't been a great couple of days for me.

1) I left work early and went home sick on Monday. I would have liked to have left eariler but I stayed to get permission.

2) I stopped off to buy milk and bread at the grocery store and had to run to the bathroom to throw up . . . twice.

3) When I got home I found out someone had broken into my house and robbed me. All my video game equipment was gone along with all my games for PS, PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360 (275 all total). Half of my DVDs were gone. And worst of all, they stole a safe out of my bedroom that had my birth certificate, naturalization paper, passport application (with social security number), tax forms for 4-5 years, college diploma, high school diploma and other personal items in it. I keep a record of all my video games (& if I have the guide and my brother has it) and I have a partial out-dated list of DVDs so that helps but figuring every thing else out has been a pain. Especially since I was born overseas while my dad was in the Air Force.

4) Because my bank delayed clearing my water bill payment the water company says I'm deliquent. When I called they said they received the check in time but my bank didn't clear it until ONE DAY LATER. Now their charging me almost $20 in "late payments". I found this out the day after the break in. I didn't argue as much as I should have (I'll probably call back to do so) because the fight just wasn't in me for that issue at the time.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:48 pm

Oh, and . . .

5) my dog is loving all the excitment and visitors this whole mess has generated. Some guard dog she is. :(

Return to “Personal Blogs”