Pengwenn's hemorrhagging money

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:48 pm

I didn't have to turn my A/C on until last week. I noticed it was coming out a little warm but I thought it might be because it wasn't really that hot outside yet. Well last night when I got home from work it was running and the apartment was hot. Three hours later it was still running. I turned it off and called maintainence. They brought over a portable A/C unit that made the bedroom cool for the night. But behind the unit where the exhaust heat pipe was was very hot. I couldn't snake it through a window so we had it dump the hot air into the bathroom and turned on the bathroom fan hoping to draw some of the heat out that way. I haven't heard if they've fixed it yet; I might have to wait until I get home. As miserable as I was last night I'm glad it happened now instead of when the temperature is up to 110+ instead of the high 90s we had yesterday. Even happier that I'm still in an apartment and they have to pay to fix it instead of in a house and I would have to. Makes me NOT want to buy a house this summer.
Is this my reality or yours?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:30 am

Life is so much better with air conditioning!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed May 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Oay hurt my back yesterday and this is the first time I've had a chance to sit without my right leg going numb. Just checking in to see how things are going.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed May 14, 2008 7:14 pm

Huh.. my back has been hurting bad for a couple weeks now to the point of missing work... and my allergies went to my lungs and now i have a small case of walking pneumonia. Plus... i get these heart flutter things that is probably from the coughing.

So my chiropractor tells me my back muscles are doing this due to stress and my regular doctor tells me the heart flutters can also be brought on by stress and anxiety.

Oh joy!!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
gnomenapper
Wordtripper

Postby gnomenapper » Wed May 14, 2008 8:32 pm

Allergy season is kicking my butt. (This lovely little whine brought to you courtesy of your blog title ;)
"That" addict.
If you like quirky odd-ball humour: http://lesterandeunice.livejournal.com/
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu May 15, 2008 1:05 pm

It's been a tough season for my allergies too. Normally the stuff I take works just fine but not this spring. It's almost like I haven't taken anything at all.
gnomenapper
Wordtripper

Postby gnomenapper » Thu May 15, 2008 6:11 pm

pengwenn wrote:It's been a tough season for my allergies too. Normally the stuff I take works just fine but not this spring. It's almost like I haven't taken anything at all.

I'm doubling up on 24 hour allergy tablets.. and eye drops, and nose sprays and and and.

Last year was fine for me though, so I shouldn't whine too much I suppose.
"That" addict.

If you like quirky odd-ball humour: http://lesterandeunice.livejournal.com/
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:50 pm

I met with a realtor for two hours yesterday and then we went out to see houses. I saw 4 but I didn't like any of them enough to want to buy them. I want a house because I don't want to share walls anymore, but I'm not thrilled about having to upkeep a yard. The ones I looked at were from bad to horrible. I got so overwhelmed just looking at them that I felt discouraged because I wouldn't know where to begin just to make them presentable. I'm starting to wonder if I really should get a house or just try to find an apartment with thicker walls. :(
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:59 pm

How about a townhouse?
"There is no intergalactic plot to keep you from being published."

"So stop whining and get on with it."
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:04 pm

The dilema is I don't want to pay all that money to share walls only to have loud neighbors again and then have a harder time getting away from them. With an apartment at least you know you can leave when your year is up.

The whole process is making me numb and paralyzed. I can't function without thinking about this, yet I don't have the words to describe exactly what I'm thinking or feeling. Not good for a writer type, you think?
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Sit down and write a list of just what you want in a house and another list of the bare minmum you want.

Buying a house is a traumatic experience that all of us who own houses have gone through.

You're not the first and won't be the last. I absolutely hated going through houses and looking them over, especially when the seller is there. That is the worst, because you really don't want to say anything that will hurt their feelings.

Once you have your lists, when the realtor suggests looking at a house that fails the list, say No.

:)
"There is no intergalactic plot to keep you from being published."

"So stop whining and get on with it."
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:35 am

I like looking at the houses (except for the fact that it just discourages me) it's the making the decision and making sure I can afford it and the "wonderful" responsibilities of future home ownership...... great now I've got a headache.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:31 pm

A house came on the market lst Thursday. I saw it Saturday and loved it. I made an offer on Saturday. Had to make a "best and final" offer on Sunday. On Monday the bank reviewed a total of 8 offers. On Tuesday I found out I didn't get it. Oh well.

This whole house hunting thing is sucking the life right out of me.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:46 am

pengwenn wrote:This whole house hunting thing is sucking the life right out of me.

.....and my creativity.

My realtor told me I need to expand my search for a house into other areas because I'm not going to find a nice home at my price range where I'm looking (and because I won't (and can't) raise my budget). The thought have going from my current 8 mile commute to a 30+ mile commute is horrible.

This whole experience is wringing me out and I honestly don't know how much I have left in me to keep looking.

And then I go see my eye doctor yesterday.

This is my regular eye doctor. He was just suppose to give me an updated prescription for glasses. Instead he tells me my right eye is getting worse and that I should have another laser surgery on the left eye. I'm not scheduled to go back to my surgeon until October so I might have to bump that up.

After my doctor visit I went and looked at a larger apartment just in case I can't find anything house-wise. It was a really nice place but after walking through it and standing on the balconey ("Romeo, Romeo wherefore art though Romeo") I was disapointed. It wasn't private. And it wouldn't be mine to do with as I please. Unfortunately if I have to pay for another eye surgery sometime soon buying a house is probably not the best thing to wipe out my savings doing.

I'll cope and live through all of this because that's what I do. I just wish I wouldn't have to get all numb to do so.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:37 pm

My parents have offered my a week of their time share. They have to use it before the end of September or they have to pay to extend it. The problem is I'm house hunting and I won't go anywhere until I've found a house or I have given up completely. Hopefully I can find one in the next week or two. If that happens then I just need to figure out where I'm going to go.

I either have to pick somewhere close where I could drive to or somewhere I could fly cheap. If I'm getting a house I'll need to save money as much as possible. I was lamenting to my mother that since I won't have any money to spend I wouldn't be doing anything once I got there. She said I could just stay in the condo and write my novel. Well, if that's all I'm going to do then I could just stay at home and do it. It's cheaper that way. Except that there's always laundry to do, dishes to wash, bathrooms to clean. Staying home for a week is not longer a vacation.

I thought about getting a cheap flight to New Orleans, but my dad doesn't think it's a good idea to go there just yet. It's still having issues from Katrina and it's not a safe place for a single gal to be at night. Then I thought about Las Vegas. It's close enough to drive to but when you go to Vegas you HAVE to spend money. It's either to go see a show or to gamble. Of course if I was lucky at the tables I could come home and pay cash for my house, but with my luck I'd lose everything I own on one bet. San Diego is an option to drive to but I don't know if I want to deal with all those California drivers.

Any suggestions?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:55 am

I made an offer on a house on Saturday. It might be awhile before I hear anything but maybe, just maybe this whole stinking process will be all over and I can relax. Or start stressing about home maintainence.....
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Well, the bank made a counter offer (bank owned property) and I accepted it last friday. I'm just waiting to hear the bank approved it and we can open escrow. Then I've just got to hope the inspection passes then maybe I'll have a house. The close date is set as 10/22. I said I'd close sooner if we could. My lease is up 10/31 so hopefully I can be out before than and things don't run late. Either way this whole process has been draining.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:21 am

Well, my heart's still beating and lungs are still breathing so I guess I'm still alive. Other than that there isn't much left in me at the moment. I had the inspection for my house on Tuesday and there were some big electrical concerns along with a bunch of other stuff. We're trying to decide which stuff we ask the bank to fix (knowing they might not) and which ones I could do later after I move in. The only problem with doing something later is that I'm not going to have any money to fix things. I should be getting the FHA appraisal from the bank today or tmorrow so I might want to see what things come up on that as well. If it's not an acceptable appraisal the bank won't lend me any money so this could all be a mute point (especially if the bank refuses to correct anything). Either way I feel drained and exhausted every second of the day. And will probably stay that way and this thing is all over.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:48 pm

I'm having serious doubts about buying this house. The REALITY of buying a house has just met up with the DREAM for buying a house and things aren't looking so good. I have a hard time trying to remember why I wanted to go through all of this in the first place. The "dream" seems nonexistent and the "reality" just left a big old pile of !@#$ on the floor. Somebody's gonna have to clean that up.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:36 am

Well, I might closing on my house sooner than I thought. Maybe by next weekend instead of the following Wednesday. Even though I feel overwhelmed I'm getting excited at finally getting in there and having a place all my own. It helps that my loud neighbors are gone this week. I'm sure they'll be back sometime this weekend so I'll have one more loud week until I get some peace, but it's been nice and quiet this week and that's wonderful.
Saphyre
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Saphyre » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:07 pm

We moved not so long ago Peng, and it was a headache, but it got better. I'm really glad we did (especially since I'm in a bigger room now) but it was heck getting here. Sorry about your neighbors. :**( just think... it won't be long until you're rid of them. Did the bank finance you then I take it?
~Saphyre
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…
For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:59 am

Wow Pen... I've been missing a TON of stuff from your blog. Not sure how I missed all of this, sheeeeesh! Sorry about that... guess I'm too wrapped up in my own stuff. :?

It's hard not only to find a place you love but then to deal with problems in the place once you've made that decision. My thought has always been that if you don't feel right about it, then don't do it. Course, I haven't been paying attention to posts as much as I should lately and didn't' see all of this, so it may be too late to turn back now. Hopefully you can or did get it straightened out.

We've found little things in our place that make us cringe because we can't tell why anyone would do certain things... like "sort of fixing" things. Nothing major... just annoyances. When those things come up... just shake your head and eat some chocolate. LOL :D
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Saphyre
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Saphyre » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:32 pm

I know what you mean by annoyances... none of the walls in our house are straight. No, I'm not kidding you. Whenever we hang a picture the level shows the wall to be slightly bowed in one way or another. It's kinda funny but hard to work around when you're painting.
~Saphyre

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…

For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:46 am

Well, I submitted some repairs that I wanted done on the house based on the inspection. When I hadn't heard anything I had my agent talk to the listing agent. He said the asset manager in charge of getting the estimates and repairs done on homes for sale is "unavailable" for two weeks. Since I close in two weeks it was recommended that I get my own estimates and submit them to the bank so they can decide if/what repairs they'll do. After calling to a few places no one will do a free estimate anymore so I would have to pay for someone to go out there and after the estimate is submitted to the bank they might not fix it anyway. The whole point of having the bank (it's a bank owned house) fix things is that so I wouldn't have to worry about it or pay for it. I'm not going to pay a $200-$300 to get a plumber, electrician and roofer out there for estimates now if eventually I'm going to have to do it myself later. I can't handle the stress right now. I just want to get in there and be done with the whole thing.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:29 pm

Get the estimates. Take if from someone who walked this line w/ two other friends....you want it done before closing or at least something in writing stating that they will pay for it.

A friend of mine tried to get repairs reimbursed later and talk about stress. He eventually won out and got the $, but I think he now has an ulcer. :shock:
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"

Return to “Personal Blogs”