Anblick's Anamorphosis

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:25 pm

Reason #932 why I'm not married:

It's a Friday night, so what am I doing? I'm baby sitting for married friends so they can go to a party...
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:06 pm

LOL... don't feel bad... I'm at home too... doing nothing...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:10 pm

OK, what is "Cocktail Attire"? Dockers and a button up shirt? Suit and tie? What?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:23 pm

An olive?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:53 pm

I'm pretty sure I don't want to go to my apartment complex's cocktail party wearing only an olive...
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:20 pm

and a toothpick? maybe a little umbrella?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:22 pm

ok, hahaha, anyone other than Charles that can help me?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:45 pm

which is much the same as asking if anybody can HELP you... as I'm obviously not being of any help. As I've never BEEN to an apartment cocktail party (or any cocktail party for that matter... somehow the punk rock crowd nor the church crowd are very big on cocktail parties... hmmm)... all I can offer up are some smart-@$$ remarks... sorry.

CharlesP

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:52 pm

I'm guessing Dokkers/Button-up but I don't have a clue... (But I do appreciate the sense of humor Charles!)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:14 am

which is much the same as asking if anybody can HELP you... as I'm obviously not being of any help. As I've never BEEN to an apartment cocktail party (or any cocktail party for that matter... somehow the punk rock crowd nor the church crowd are very big on cocktail parties... hmmm)... all I can offer up are some smart-@$$ remarks... sorry.

Punk rock crowd :shock: I can't really picture you in that, Charlie.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:12 am

Picture it or not I ran a punk rock record label (Breastfed Records) for 3 years when I was... your age (:shock:)... from 94-97... bands camped out on my floor when they were in town... went to 1-2 shows a week. Gave it up when Jake (named for the band Less Than Jake) came along as I couldn't justify spending money on records and shows when there was somebody needing feeding. Punk and Ska are still the music I listen to when I listen to what I want (the stacks of classic wax in my hideout downstairs... Queers, Screeching Weasel, Ramones, sex Pistols, Vindictives, etc)

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:54 pm

Now I really can't picture it.

BTW Blue loves Less Than Jake...
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:58 pm

Their old Sax player used to play in a band called The Holsteins out of central Florida that I saw play several times in Orlando (once when they were all wearing only large diapers)... used to hang out after those shows and e-mailed back and forth for a few years.

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:03 pm

OK, the fee for talking about Punk Rock in my blog is a REAL answer about the 'Cocktail Attire' question!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:28 pm

Well, "cocktail attire' for women is usually a little black dress. Shirt and tie for men perhaps (and pants too :D ).
Last edited by pengwenn on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this my reality or yours?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:30 pm

What? I have to wear pants? That probably is best since it's a mingler for single residents (married ones can attend, too, but it's primarily for singles).
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:41 pm

Well, if it's for singles not wearing pants might be to your benefit.....or not. :D (sorry I couldn't resist)
Is this my reality or yours?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:46 pm

Well, maybe for the short-term, but I want a long-term deal...
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:56 pm

Their old Sax player used to play in a band called The Holsteins out of central Florida that I saw play several times in Orlando (once when they were all wearing only large diapers)... used to hang out after those shows and e-mailed back and forth for a few years.

Charlie, tell me how you managed a label at the age of 20...
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:57 pm

Well, maybe for the short-term, but I want a long-term deal...

Baby steps, anby, baby steps... go without your pants for now... we'll work on long term later...
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:00 pm

lol, though I'm concerned that it might not be a good short-term plan either...
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:02 pm

Haha, it might be!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:05 pm

I actually started it right after my 19th birthday. I had a friend in Orlando who ran a label called Inbred Records and had put out a couple singles at the time but was shutting it down to start up a little independant paper and he gave me the contacts for the mail-order part of the business and contacts for having records pressed (because vinyl is still the best medium for punk singles... well CD has become cheap enough it's a valid way to go now... at the time it was still cheaper than CD pressings). I ran the mail-order part for the entire time... took me about a year to get anything released (the first and only release we had was an EP cassette for the Orlando grindcore punk/ska band the Spitvalves (who later opened up for Beastie Boys and were a pretty big regional band in FL until just a couple years ago)). When Jake came along I had a compilation record and a split 7" single in the works (the 7" was from two ska bands with female vocalists, One band had done the recordings but I hadn't gotten the masters when I had to shut down for the family reasons... The Compilation was a mixture of punk and ska from bands I liked and I only had about half of them lined up when I shut it down.

I did a good bit for getting people out to shows and a couple good friends ran a venue in Augusta GA... and I pointed bands their way (and when I knew of guys coming into town I had a few contacts to help them find a place to crash). I had a good friend J Scott Beacher who did DJ for one of the college punk/ska shows around.

I basically put ALL my money into it at the time, and when I started working as a maintenance man at an apartment complex in atlanta where I had most of my rent paid as part of my employment I had a good bit of disposable income to throw towards it (and of course ANY profit I made went right back into my buying more records or going to shows... and frankly I didn't make that much... which is kind of the way of punk rock labels unless they stumble into money).

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:06 pm

I don't think I'm quite ready to be THAT forward... Heck, I'm almost certain to be a wallflower...
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:13 pm

Well, at least I can picture THAT... any mosh pit stories? :wink:

Return to “Personal Blogs”