Sitting in the corner (critique welcome on everything)

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:37 pm

Is your story abour warriors perchance? Or where is all this grimness coming from. Hey, c'mon back to the poetry challenges. We miss you. :)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
tearsonroses
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby tearsonroses » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:20 am

The song does not have anything to do with my story, and is not really supposed to be grim either. It is about a warrior's spirt, strength, pride and honor. It is that last determination not to be forgotten by this world when once gone from it.

I stopped by the poetry challenge just for you Mlou and managed to crank out poems for the first two. It really supprised me, because my muse has not been into poetry much of late, maybe there is a new wave coming.
Hope, Love, Dream
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:06 am

Vive la New Wave!

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
tearsonroses

Postby tearsonroses » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:57 pm

My muse is back with a vengeance! I was off work today and got to waste the second half of my day sitting in my favorite coffee shop writing. I wrote about six pages front and back (though it was wide rule). It annoys me a little because most of it was a tangent of my main story that I may not be able to use at all, or it could become a prequel of sorts. Either way it has gotten the ink flowing and mapped out some background. Maybe I will get to do the same tomorrow.

I have decided that I really like to do Fast Fiction. I have just finished one and am more satisfied with it than I thought I would be. Maybe it is because I know that I will not have time to go back and work out kinks so I make more of an effort the first time. Whatever is the case, I had fun.
Hope, Love, Dream
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:07 am

Any writing that makes you feel good and excersises your muse is time well spent. You might be surprised too that the stuff you feel is unusable now may be useful later.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:17 am

Cardinal rule: never throw away any writing. :)

tearsonroses

Postby tearsonroses » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:12 pm

I definitely will not throw it away. So far, it looks like I am going to have to finish before my muse will let me write anymore on my main story. I am mostly just slopping it onto paper so I can get it out of my head. Later I will sort it all out and make it fit together. I know that is bad form, but my writing happens like that.

I finished the third poetry challenge, and though it is a bit rough, I think I like the result. I may do another piece along the same lines later.

I am off to the coffee shop again after I have a shower. The place seems to feed my muse.
Hope, Love, Dream
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:44 pm

As I said, looks like you're on a roll. So pull up some of the past Tues. poetry challenges and see what happens. :-D

tearsonroses

Postby tearsonroses » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:19 pm

My brain is still vomiting my backstory onto paper. There seems to be more of it there than I originally thought there would be.

I got the first of the poetry challenges down, but I am not sure about the other two. I might have something coming about the third.

I also started the SS Challenge. I picked the "Three Sides to Every Story" prompt, and I have the first bit of it started.
Hope, Love, Dream
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:03 pm

tearsonroses wrote:I also started the SS Challenge. I picked the "Three Sides to Every Story" prompt, and I have the first bit of it started.

Cool! That's my favorite story idea. I'd love to see what you do with it. I have at least 9 more weeks of titles to challenge you with too!
tearsonroses

Postby tearsonroses » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:19 am

I finished writing out the back-story, which ended up with an estimated 16,000 words, and I am now back to the meat of it. I makes me kind of sad though to have that much writing that will probably never seen the light of day. If it ever does, it will be in a completely different form. I am glad I did it though; it makes me feel better having a foundation for the rest of the story.

I took a break from writing for a few weeks, and now I really wish that I had not, because school is starting again on Tuesday. I plan to continue my writing through the semester, though it may be only a small amount.

I have started counting my words, and this week I have about 800. I have been trying to write a little each day, even if it is only a few sentences. This seems to make me stair down my roadblocks, because I will not put the pencil down until something goes on the paper.

We will see what happens.
Hope, Love, Dream
tearsonroses

Postby tearsonroses » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:45 pm

I have been trying to write at least a little every day, but it has not completely worked. Therefore, to keep up my motivation I started counting my words, but that has not entirely worked either. Maybe I write my word count on my calendar everyday it will help. If I put big zeros on the days I miss it might make me work harder.

I started back at university this week, and have been to all of my classes except for my English Literature class on Monday nights (class started Wednesday.) So far, it looks like statistics and business math will be the most difficult.

Thursday when I got out of business math, I felt like my brain should have been oozing out of my ears. He spoke too quickly and never listed points in any order; he just randomly spouted them out, and then connected the all of the dots in the last ten minuets of class.

I am taking more classes this semester than before with the hopes that I will not get board and stop studying. Between that and keeping up with my hobbies, I hope I do not end up squishing my muse. The future is yet to be determined.
Hope, Love, Dream
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:03 am

Good luck with the balancing act. It's never easy, but always worth it.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
tearsonroses

Postby tearsonroses » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:06 am

I am still among the land of the living, despite the great efforts of some of my professors. I looked over some of the previous fast fiction and poetry challenges and am currently planning to take a stab at them soon.

I cannot truthfully plead lake of time though. On Friday I had the day off work and I don’t have any classes on Fridays so I read The Scarlet Pimpernel even though I have already listened to it on audio tape and read it once before. I do defend myself by saying that I was coming down with a cold and did not feel like doing anything else.

My British Literature class has been a lot of fun. This week we are analyzing Shakespearian sonnets and it is much easier than I thought it would be. After I get past my statistics test and finish the most recent paper for my management class, I think I will try to brave the world of sonnets myself. I think I may have had to write one for a class in high school, but other than that I have not experimented in that field. We will see were it leads.
Hope, Love, Dream
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:26 am

Hi, tears...maybe I should put up a sonnet as a challenge one week soon. :-D

tearsonroses

Postby tearsonroses » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:15 am

I revamped and finished Death Day. I was running through my mind and yelling at me until I did. Here is the new version:

The fog rolls in, Death’s at my door,
So I’ll ride into battle once more.
I’ll gird on my armor without fear.
Death will not find me waiting here.

I’ll die in the midst of blood and blows,
Striking fear into the hearts of my foes.
I’ll be taking them with my last breath.
I’ll die with the honor of a warrior’s death.

I’ll not die sick in my death bed,
Waiting to be leached and bled.
I lived by the sword, I’ll die in war.
My last breath will be the stench of gore.

My skin grows sickly and pale.
The strength of my sword begins to fail.
But I’ll die with my brothers in the field,
Not even to Death, will I yield.

Cold creeps in, and I feel Death’s sting.
I’ll spend my last day fighting for the king.
For the Black Star, I’ll shed my last blood.
Death will find my body in this field of mud.

I die in the midst of blood and blows.
Hope, Love, Dream
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:44 pm

Well done, tears!

tearsonroses

Postby tearsonroses » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:41 am

It is hard for me to believe that it has been so long since I have posted here. I was consumed by life for a while and I guess that I still am, but I feel like I need to start writing again.

I never got to finish the book that I was writing. I had nearly two composition notebooks full, and they were in my laptop bag when it got stolen. I have most of what was in the first one typed up on my desktop computer, but the rest was on the laptop and I hadn't transferred them yet. I haven't felt up to trying to rewrite it.

I am starting to think that maybe I should just stick to poetry. I have had enough hurt and tough stuff in the last year that I think I need to comb it out into lines of verse to stop myself from kinking up into a ball of misery. We will see how that goes.
Hope, Love, Dream
tearsonroses

Postby tearsonroses » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 am

It is hard for me to believe that it has been so long since I have posted here. I was consumed by life for a while and I guess that I still am, but I feel like I need to start writing again.

I never got to finish the book that I was writing. I had nearly two composition notebooks full, and they were in my laptop bag when it got stolen. I have most of what was in the first one typed up on my desktop computer, but the rest was on the laptop and I hadn't transferred them yet. I haven't felt up to trying to rewrite it.

I am starting to think that maybe I should just stick to poetry. I have had enough hurt and tough stuff in the last year that I think I need to comb it out into lines of verse to stop myself from kinking up into a ball of misery. We will see how that goes.
Hope, Love, Dream
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Yikes!

I know what it is like to lose a manuscript. REALLY sucks. Sorry ...
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com

Return to “Personal Blogs”