Long Time...No See

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Thu May 24, 2007 7:07 pm

Ahhh...I need help. I was watching the Real World Reunion last night and the bumper music was a '90's alternative song...and I can't remember the name of the song or the group...the lyrics go "Spinning in a wishing well..." and it's a girl group...anyone know what I'm talking abou???
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu May 24, 2007 7:28 pm

Aaagh, BF...I rushed here when I saw you needed help but alas, I'm no help at all on this one.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu May 24, 2007 7:50 pm

I looked around, bf...could only find there was a girl group, Ten Wings, with Sharon Middendorf in the 90's. They had an album "Wishing Well". Maybe it's on that. Check it out.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri May 25, 2007 8:54 am

You sure it's "spinning"?

There was the Breeders song "Cannonball", but that's "spitting in a wishing well"

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/breeders/c ... 24137.html
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri May 25, 2007 9:42 am

Based on BF's description I'd say it was that Breeders song...

Crash, I'm the laaaast splash.

In the shade, in the shayeade

(dang, now I've got to see if I can find that CD... I know I used to have it at one point).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri May 25, 2007 12:07 pm

That sounds right!!! Yea!!! Thank you...it was driving me crazy that I couldn't remember that.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri May 25, 2007 12:09 pm

Ok...with the band name...The song is "Cannonball" off their Last Splash album.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:42 pm

So, I'm really growing tired of my current hairstyle. I'm thinking about an A-line bob, but I'm not a very trusting person, and bobs are kind of difficult haircut...and I haven't found a hairstylist that I can trust with a bob yet. What to do...what to do...

On a completely unrelated note, the ol' 10 year class reunion is coming up. Since I'm really bad at saying no, I'm trying to come up with a really good excuse not to go. I'm attempting to compile a list of tropical diseases, other reunions that need to be attended, once in a lifetime band reunions for one night only concerts...basically I need to be somewhere more important than my 10 year class reunion. Any hints....ya'll are a creative bunch.
Rebecca

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:21 pm

I had lunch today with a friend who is a very well-meaning parent, but I'm a little disappointed in a recent parenting decision. I don't completely blame her, but I'm still disappointed. Here's the story...

S has a wonderful son named M. M just finished the 5th grade and was trying out for band. His first choice was percussion and his second choice was the clarinet. S wasn't involved in band in school, and wasn't even sure what a clarinet was. I assured it was a beautiful instrument, and an excellent second choice in the event he didn't make the very competitive percussion line. WELL...M went to his father with his clarinet decision, and his dad told him that only girls played the clarinet and he needed to pick another instrument. :roll: S supported this decision because she doesn't want her son playing a "girly" instrument. Here's my problem...first of all...the clarinet is not a girly instrument. In my opinioin, it's one of the gender neutral, safe for everyone instruments. Second of all, what if M really wanted to learn to play the clarinet. It really frustrates me how gender roles in today's society deter children from following something they might actually be really gifted at and have a passion for (editor's note: please forgive the sentences ending with prepositions). When my brother wanted to take dance classes, my parents signed him up the next day. He was really good at it, until he started to get teased about it. And back to the clarinet...I can't think of one famous female clarinetist (is that right???), but most of my favorite jazz musicians are also male clarinetists. Also, who's to say that M couldn't start on the clarinet and move to something more "manly" like the saxophone!!! Of course, the saxophone may not be the best example of masculinity...Kenny G, anyone? So, I think I'm through with my little rant...at least for now.
Rebecca

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:09 am

Benny Goodman. What a pansy HE was . . .
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:16 am

My son played the Clarinet for a couple years until he got bored with it. I didn't really care which instrument he played but encouraged the clarinet because a) we had one already b) buying a violin was going to be costly and c) it's one of the easier instruments to get started with so it has some fast success which may lead to more instruments.

In my son's case, he just lost interest. I don't know if it was because his friends made fun of him, but I don't recall him stating that it was.

The thing his parents need to understand is that he has to start somewhere. Even truck drivers had to learn to drive in a regular vehicle. Writers had to learn their ABCs and scientists had to learn 1+1.

My .02$.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:37 am

That's SO DUMB of that father! I suppose he's one of those guys who wants his son to excel in baseball and football (where he probably didn't!)

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:18 pm

It could be that the FATHER was teased as a kid. What's taught is what's learned, often.

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:37 pm

If the father didn't have fun with it as a child and is trying to save his son the pain... that's one thing; but it sounds like he actually believes it's a sissy thing to do and "no son of mine" will be doing girly things.

I'm all for letting a child find out for himself. Maybe he sill indeed determine himself that "only girls" play that instrument and then he may decided to switch over to something more "manly". But by that logic, isn't all music a feminine thing?
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:05 pm

But--and I am playing devil's advocate here--he may have been TAUGHT that clarinet (or, as you say, music in general) was a "sissy" thing . . . and therefore may honestly thing he is doing the best for his son.

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:19 pm

Or he could have been dropped on his head at the age of two and his brain was shifted to the back of his skull. :-D

You're a cute little devil in those cute little PJs.
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:35 pm

I started working for a new company in April, and I love it!!! I love my work, my co-workers are awesome, and it's just fun to get up in the morning and go to work. But earlier this week it was brought to my attention that morale was down. Shocker to me. So, we spent this afternoon doing a team building exercise. Usually I think team building is hokie and a waste of time, but this one was a lot of fun and provided insight to the rest of the team. It was based on The Color Code and we took this test (which you can find at http://thecolorcode.com). There are four colors (red, blue, white, and yellow), and these indicate a person's core motive when thinking, communicating, and behaving. It was very enlightening, and it was no surprise that I am a blue. This is the most emotional of the four colors. Yep...that is totally me. Now, I'm wanting all of my friends and family to take this test. I highly recommend it, if you haven't had it done already.
Rebecca

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:30 pm

Hey bfsooner... I took that test and it seemed to come out right. It was hard because I struggled remembering how I was as a child.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:12 pm

I think too many of the questions had no real correct choice for me on that quiz. It didn't seem to have a correct choice for the first 30 questions for me. I'm a "White" according to my answers which I feel like at least half were not correct, but "most correct"...
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:18 am

i took it too - and agree with jillstar - hard to remember how i was as a child. kind of sad to say, but according to the test, i am a yellow... not sure if it fits or not. ;)

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:42 pm

I got blue too :) Although I rarely pay attention to birthdays, anniverseries, etc...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:13 pm

After I finished taking the test, and before I figured out my color, I was thinking "Man, I was an emotional child." Some of the answers were difficult to answer, but I think I'm definitely blue.
Rebecca

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:28 pm

I clicked to take it but I'm averse to giving my email and info about myself so I didn't go any further.

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:31 pm

WOO!!! WOO!!! Yes!!! I know that somewhere on this site the subject of the Transformers movie has been broached, but I didn't want to go hunting for it. I'm so freaking excited about this movie!!! I'm planning on going to see it tomorrow. I can't wait. I'm so glad that it looks like it will actually do the original animated series justice, and that there are bonafided actors starring in it. Look for my official review soon!!! In the meantime...AUTOBOTS ROLL OUT!!! WOO!!! WOO!!!
Rebecca

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm

:clap: :rock:

I'm tentatively looking forward to it.. It's Michael Bay and at least he's not MOCKING the original transformers... but it's Michael Bay, who is not known to be the best director in the world (though I'll admit I've found his movies entertaining at least).

And yes, I still have my original Jazz and Slag (dino-bot) toys in my office at home... along with a couple other transformers.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)

Return to “Personal Blogs”