In Hades w/ Hiss

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:21 pm

rofl....dahling what's on your mind????????????????
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:56 pm

Well, I have won a trip white water rafting on the Kennebec River, which only includes the actual one-day on the river, in Maine and that is going to be my B-day trip for a girls getaway with my sister, but I get a little resentful when I get. "Sounds good. You do all the work, make all the arrangements and I will show up and drive, but take credit for "giving" you the birthday trip" attitude I've been getting.

I don't know why it is that I'm expected to find the hotels, make the reservations (on my credit card) and then gush...you're wonderful thank you for the trip....and I won the dang trip!!!

But that was Thursday and I'm over it now....no I haven't made the reservations I told her to ....well never mind it wasn't nice and now she's taken over all the reservations..we'll see...I'll just go without her. If she can't get her stuff together. Although that would be a riot. I've never been rafting before...Do you think they will give me a discount if I drown?
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:39 pm

How much do I love my kids?

Well technically they aren't MY KIDS, they are my nieces, but they are the closest I want to get to my own.

Anyone who knows me understands that I will do anything for these three demons (ages 18,14,10).

Two of them have mental/emotional/learning difficulties and the other (the youngest) just drives me nuts!

Anyway, the middle child--Victoria is turning 14 on October 8th and all she wants for her birthday besides some Japanese Anime' thing is ...

Guitar Lessons w/ me! :shock:

I don't play guitar. I don't own one.

But, precious really wants "bonding time" w/ me and to be able to play "Sweet Dreams" (the old Eurythmics' song) on guitar.

I have no illusions w/ my musical ability. The music teacher will need the patience of a saint!

I'm thinking that I should start w/ a standard accoustical 6-string....although any input from you all is most appreciated.

Oh and I want you to know...my sister aka Dragonlady is laughing her a$$ off. She wants to see the look on the teacher's face when I won't cut my nails.

I didn't for piano...maybe that's why I don't play very well.. :D
Last edited by Hissmonster on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:57 pm

note to self: ask charles if we can post videos here

note to hiss: I WANT VIDEOS!!! :D
Is this my reality or yours?
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:19 pm

rofl....I will give you my myspace url....lol...they let you post em there..and now that you mentioned it...AFHV maybe interested... 8)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:28 pm

ok real quick update before I get back to work.

Spent the weekend and a seminar.....boring work stuff...but the instructor was great...sent him to Salem (w/ his wife & Kids) for Haunted Happenings this week before he goes home to Arizona.

Just finished the last leg of my interview with the owners/ chef at Ecco and will be tranferring notes and thoughts down all night before writing up the article.

Think I may have freaked out at least one of them...I don't take notes at least not lots of 'em...photographic memory. Notes are just to tweak my thoughts.

Told him that and he seemed to ge nervous that I would remember "too much"

Lol.

I will be getting back to my creative writing when the first draft of the review is done...hoping that will be Thursday, although my deadline isn't for another week..never put off until tomorrow.... :rofl:

Yeah right.

anyway...

I'm waiting for my WWR contact to get back to me w/ a few answers for my horror story...it's fiction, but the scenario needs to be plausible.

My guitar should be here by Friday and actual classes start at the end of the month although, I am big on self teaching so in the interim I will be studying on my own....those w/ recommendation on that....I'm all ears 8)

Ok enough procrastinating..gotta go....
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Guitar lessons are.....interesting...lol.

Haven't played a note yet, just learning the parts of the guitar and naming parts...call it guitar biology 101...[grin].

Tomorrow night is practice..but as for today...I spent the day indulging in a spa day...steam, massage, facial...ah..now that's more like it.... 8)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:21 am

You do know you're going to get blisters on your fingers, don't you? Play through the pain and you'll be just fine. :-D
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:21 pm

lol, I expect blisters on top of blisters...and many, many, many manicures 8)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:04 pm

there is never a dull moment in my life....what do you do when an acquaintance who you always thought was kidding, proudly shows you photos of himself .......AT A NUDIST COLONY?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:15 am

Tell him "I've seen better". :D
Saphyre
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Saphyre » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 pm

Change your address? or at least make him think you did. :)
~Saphyre
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…
For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:31 pm

Rofl...he's a co-worker, not a neighbor thank goodness...sad thing is ..he's proud of his photos...

If he thought I was offended he would be crushed....can you say CLUELESS? He just doesn't get it that no matter how friendly you are at work..nude photos are just..wrong, 'nauturalist or not'... :roll:
Saphyre
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Saphyre » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:32 pm

Hiss, i feel for you. maybe ignore that it happened? pretend they got lost in the mail?
~Saphyre

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…

For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:37 pm

For those of you who feel Halloween is evil and some how Satanic....don't read further. While I respect that we differ in opinion, I feel sorry for all the joy you are missing.

See for me it is a moment in time when we allow ourselves to be anything we can dream of and relish in our imagination. Even adults can become children again.

For over 18 years I have been doing “Halloween Haunts” at my house. They aren’t really haunted houses, but they are more than just ‘candy give-a-ways’. Many ask me why I do them and I joke saying that it’s the one time of the year I get to scare children and their parents let me. Heck I scare the parents too.

But, really…

I do it for the memories.

See, as a military brat at the tail end of the Vietnam War, many things weren’t certain. My father was the most unpredictable and dangerous. And it wasn’t until we came back home to my grandparents house in Boston that we had stability. By that time, I was almost 6 and I knew what Halloween was about. We didn’t have many store-bought costumes, most kids made their own out of old clothes from their parent’s closets, which was always fun and we could actually eat the things our neighbors gave us.

But, what stays most in my mind was the parties. My mom and aunt would go all out for Halloween Parties. It didn’t matter what was going on in our lives at the time or how much money we had; Halloween was the time for a good scare. I remember séances for Mary Worth, green fairy potions, ghost stories and being scared witless when the lights suddenly went out.

It was all in good fun and I still smile when I think back on those spooky nights. But, as most do when I hit my late teens and twenties I wanted to got to the clubs and costume balls. It wasn’t until the “no name storm” rolled in on Halloween that I returned to making memories, this time for the neighborhood children. See my sister’s (Dee) engagement had just fallen through and we were home commiserating listening to Sting’s new album “The Soul Cages” and preparing to watch horror movies. I had some clown make up and was painting my friend Suzanne‘s face for a party she was going to, when the door bell rang and it was a little boy who had braved the rain to get some candy, because he just couldn't miss Halloween.

I looked at Dee and Suzanne we smiled. “If kids the kids are going to brave this weather, let’s give them something to talk about.” I said to them with an evil glint in my eye. All I had for treats were gumball eyeballs that oozed red ‘blood’ but that would be enough. Remembering the story of the Soul Cages from the album I became the Skeleton Fisherman from the story. Using my sister's “Gorton’s Fisherman” rain gear and platex gloves, I looked every part of the skeleton that would bargain for your soul. When the next little kid rang the bell, he was greeted by this skeleton man and his two henchmen (all in black with painted skeleton faces) and he had to barter for his soul. The kids, maybe 30 in all, were terrified--delighted--but terrified. We watch them run down the street squealing, enjoying the moment ourselves. Even Dee forgot her break-up for a while.

Starting in late September the following year, those children came by to ask if we were “doing it again” for Halloween. I smiled, remembering Mary Worth and the lights going out and said, “you will have to come by and see.”

They did and they brought more friends.

This year’s Halloween garnered around 400 children, who patiently waited to get in to my hall (it’s not very big). Their parents were allowed in too, but they were warned that adults get tortured. Dee played sheep-herder keeping the line moving safely and scaring kids/adults at will.

Mom got into character this year as the demon Bartender offering folks blood or poison and explaining that her husband, “Oscar” had angered her so she ripped off his head. At that point she produced a severed head that lit up and winked. “Can’t get him to stop flirting with the mortals even without a body.”

At 76 she made a cool demon and even got a few cat-calls.

Me, well I was the main attraction--The Marquise De Sade, and this year they entered my ballroom. The rule was they had to earn my favor by dancing for me. If they did then they got a treat; if they didn’t I got to torture them. You would be surprised how fast kids would dance. I even had a teenager, dressed as a gigglo, give me a lap dance. [on any other day that would get me arrested, lol] He got a whip and a severed head for his trouble, which he was bragging about all the way up the street.

I even had the parents dancing for treats, but what made my day was when the man came in and said.

“I bet you don’t remember be.” He was tall and broad-shouldered. Yet there was something familiar in his handsome face.

“Maybe this will help.” He stuck out his bottom lip and said “What you talking about Willis?”

My eyes widened for a moment and then I went back into character. “My dear Arnold! I haven’t seen you since you bartered for your soul that first Halloween night. Have you come back to try again?”

The man smiled and said he had just moved back here and when he heard about the haunted house on Trenton Street he had to bring his girls. Two young princesses about 7 and 8 stood behind him and I smiled.

"You have a very clever father my dears, a long time ago he left here with his soul and I still have an empty cage to prove it."

I pointed to the old lobster cage and the father lit up! “ You still have the Soul Cages!”

“I do, but the bargain this year, is a dance.” With that the father took my hand and we danced. His daughters followed along giggling. As I handed them their prizes I told him that next year he had to wear a costume. He promised he would. I heard him telling the girls about the storm and coming to the house as they walked up the street and I smiled.

Some scary memories are good memories that last a lifetime…..I guess I am now a “Memory Maker”

If you would like to see some photos go to

http://www.myspace.com/hissmonster

and select the Halloween Album under PICS. Note: that my entire neighborhood has more photos than I do. These are just some preliminary photos before sunset.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:46 pm

I have a Thanksgiving tradition. First off, I do not involve myself in the debate over treatment, rights and events that happened a couple of centuries ago. For me Thanksgiving is not to celebrate Pilgrims, but to give thanks. Each year I do just that acknowledging those new and old who have come into my life for which I am grateful to know.

This year I have made many new acquaintances and potential friends of which I’ve been most fortunate to discover. Finding souls who can open my eyes to things and ideas new to me is always a wonder. I have so much to learn, more than time will allow, I know. Encountering teachers and compatriots on this quest is always a treasure. For those of you in this category, I welcome you into my life with sincere gratitude for who and what you are.

Usually, I would write individual thank you notes and email/send them in time for Thanksgiving. However, this year, I’m doing something a little different. I want to use this tradition to express my thanks for a sixth sense. No this isn’t a psychic ability. Many of you have it too, but many do not and for those who do not, it can not be learned. Discovered, maybe, but not learned.

I am thankful for to be able to see the beauty that companion creatures bring into our lives. For this I am truly blessed and lucky.

While I fully understand nature’s food chain and the fact that we are all part of a system. I don’t see animals as things to be chained in a yard. Since I was born, I have always lived in a sort of a menagerie and have enjoyed all the lessons each creature has taught me--most of all the true meaning of unconditional love.

Maybe this makes me a sentimentalist, but I don’t mind. I am amused at those who scoff at the fact that the animals that share my home are seen by me not as ‘pets’ but, as members of my home, complete with full names and personal space.

Theses non-human household members fascinate, engage and never cease to astound me. From them I have learned trust, loyalty, forgiveness and sheer joy. Have you ever seen how happy a dog gets over a simple bone? To be that happy and excited over something so small is a gift--a gift we take for granted.

Today, I had to say goodbye to a good ‘friend,’ one that has shared my life for over 20 years. He has made me laugh, dance, cry and even lose my temper, but he has always been there. He has taught me more than I had ever ‘trained’ him to do-- I think we are actually training humans how to interact with animals and not the other way around.

He has shared many milestones with my family and has seen me through great joys, losses and many love affairs. I will miss his quirky personality, the little things that only by knowing him you would understand. I will miss his singing to TV theme songs, dancing with him to Zippitty-do-da, his split-personality we named Ralph and the odd way we let him boss us all around. He outlived all his canine family and his life expectancy by 9 years, for this we named him the Energizer Bunny. Alas, even the Bunny runs out of energy and needs to rest.

Mom was the Charlie Brown to his Snoopy, she couldn’t go with us to the vet. I watch her carefully trying to reconcile the hole that is now in her heart, yet I can’t help but feel thankful. How lucky we were to have this amazing creature in our lives.

For 22 years of memories and lessons, I am thankful for knowing you, Zippy Doodle-roo.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:05 pm

Well 2009 started off with a bang for me...besides the bitter cold and the fireworks the following events unfolded within the first 7 days of the new year:

I quit my job
My aunt had a heart attack
and another family member died.

I've spent the last 6 days at my aunt's house (she has guardianship of my 2 nieces...they're reallly my 2nd cousins, but their father is like my brother; we grew up together so I'm 'auntie'.) taking care of the kids, dealing with snow storms and juggling wakes, funerals and waiting time in the surgical waiting room.

Returning home last night, I was too tired to bother with the christmas tree that looks like a made up corpse in my living room, so I left that for today.

It's funny how nothing seems to get dismatled unless I do it. (My sister has an adversion to seeing christmas end, I think).

But, I need to get the kindling undressed and out in the yard before Wednesday as it's mom's birthday. We were going to have a dance party for her, where she instructs the 'youngsters' on how to tango, salsa, waltz etc. But now I'm not so sure. With her kid sister fresh out of the hospital we are postponing the major get together until Sunday, but it will probably be a subdued cake and coffee event.

I have had little time for reflection, but despite all this upheavel I'm really looking forward to 2009. I know times are bleak; unemployment is at an all time high and the prospect of finding a job may be tougher than ever, but I have a feeling of starting out afresh.

I was sipping coffee in the hospital waiting room and it hit me that I knew this right around Christmas. I was finishing off a project and thought "I'm done."

It was more than an "I'm happy the project was complete" I'm done. It was a sense that it was all over, no loose ends. I probably should have just quit then, but I'm saying this all in hindsight. I needed the additional week and events that happened to give me the final push of adrenline to walk away. I really don't miss it and the odd thing is that right at this moment (though I'm sure it will hit me sooner or later) I'm not scared. I'm not afraid of finding a new job or of what it will mean if I don't get one right away. I have had a few nibbles, but nothing interesting yet and I have a bunch of interviews slated for January 27, 2009. Really they are just to get my feet wet and oil up my interviewing skills. Though I wouldn't turn down a job offer if I get one in that batch, I'm just not pinning my hopes on anything as of yet.

A friend of mine asked me that if I was bitter or angry. No, I hold no ill will to anyone, if we were all honest it was time. I was bored, unchallenged and it showed. And it was a dead-end job that I stayed in out of complacency, but that really isn't a good reason to stay. He was kind of surprised when he asked me what I planned to do now and I said that I didn't know it was a new adventure, but I really mean it. I have a feeling that anything is possible.

I look at my aunt's heart attack as the good kick she needs to stop chain-smoking and hope she moves heaven, hell and high-water to do it. Although 40+ years of smoking means it won't be easy, I think the reality of the daily meds and shortness of breath may act a reminder.

As for Yola (the relative who died), this too was closure. She was so sick for so long that it only seems right that she is at peace now.

So now I'm sitting hear with a fresh clean page in front of me just waiting for my pen and a new story. To 2009--a new adventure
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:03 pm

Ok maybe its me. Maybe I'm just not with it anymore, but seriously can anyone tell me when job fair dressing became so anything-goes?

Went to this job fair where there had to be nearly 4000 seekers and yes many were dressed in business attire, all neatly pressed with their resumes in hand. Those are who I expected to see, but then and I am not making this up, there were those who showed up in jeans and cordaroys. Some had not bathed or even combed thier hair. One girl came in wearing Zena Warrior Princess tie up boots and a fringe jacket. But! the prize for the most in appropriately dressed job seeker goes to the young lady dressed in bell-bottom jeans that had rhinestone studs from the ankle to the knee and a gold lame halter top on.

I think she heard that AFLAC was going to be there and confused it with Disco Duck. :roll:

Oh, got 3 interviews and 2 job offers from the fair. Unfortunately they all required relocating out of state, don't think I want to do that. At least not yet.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:09 am

It sounds like you stepped into a time warp back to the 70s.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:50 pm

You don't need to dress up because then it wouldn't be fair. :shock:
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:43 am

Have been absent a long time...sigh. Well 2009 is going to be one to remember that is for sure. Been diagnosed with breast cancer.

So let's see: I quit my job, broke up with my boyfriend of 5 years, and now have cancer...yep, think I won't forget this year anytime soon.

and we are only 1/2 way through it.
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:56 pm

HISS...Hugs. You can beat this and will. Put your support system into place. My Aunt is nearing the end of her treatment. She's been battling for a year and a half and WINNING and you can too.

Many virtual hugs sent your way. Please, PM me or email me if you need to vent, cry, scream or whatever.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul." - GD
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Wow... you're right... this is one hell of a year. Surround yourself with good people and tell them to back off if they become drags on your life!!

Hey now.. I didn't mean me. :)
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:40 pm

My thoughts are with you, Hiss. You're strong and I know you can beat down anything.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44 am

hey Jill..nice hair...I remember when I had some...although I have a red wig that is brighter than yours...rofl.

Ok now that I'm into treatment, thought I would update you all.

First, a demand. GET YOUR MAMMOGRAMS!!!

The only reason I am going to beat this is due to early detection. I think we should petition insurance companies to lower the madatory age of mammograms to 30, especially for women with large breasts, who run the risk of "hidden" tumors.

But, that said, this ride has been remarkable. I've been reading statisitics etc which say I should be going through an anger phase and a feeling sorry for myself phase, but I'm not and I haven't been.

All I can be is grateful. While I may have been out of touch, you all are in my thoughts. I consider you part of my cyberfamily and my life has been enriched in knowing all of you over the years.

I'm responding to chemo well so far and I'm hoping that the next 7-9 months will just be more of the same.

Yes I am bald. But, my hair has only gone to "Boca" for the winter and it will return. In it's place are a variety of "renters" in the form of fun wigs, serious wigs, hats and scarfs. Lucky for me I like hats and wigs...lol.

I am having as much fun with this as I can and am using it to make some money, sharing what I'm learning with others via articles. Hey they don't garner much money, but every little bit works for me.

Anyone who wants to share a story with me can do so here or pop in and join me on facebook I will post my link soon.

Oh and now that I am single, I will be bringing back my dating hell page. Why because dating while bald and going through chemo is even more amusing than when I was healthy.

Ok that's if for updates...everyone send Mlou kisses and well wishes as she is going in for knee surgery on Weds!!!! 8)

Return to “Personal Blogs”