In Hades w/ Hiss

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:49 pm

I know...got the message when I got home...about 10 minutes ago..been a long day.....just checking in....thanks for being so sweet.
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:32 pm

All are sleeping in the house.
nothing about to stir
Ophelia's damp blouse
clings to my skin with unrelenting ferver

The hollowness broken
by the discord of paws pitter-pattering across bare floors
Tiger's awoken.

Nothing is really wrong
the cool dampness merely flattens the sharpness of my colors
I'm quiet and restless all at once
Memories flashing and fading in my brain of times for which I long

Not so distant now and yet so quickly cooled
that I ache for their warmth again.

No nothing is wrong, I'm doing well
So much to look forward to
So much to tell.

Tiger claws at my leg
pulling me from my revery
Damp fur brushes my skin
jaw grasping at an out of reach peg

I smile; how foolishly sweet
How confounded to be between and betwixed
Joy and sorrow
Seems I'm fated to this mix
but my sorrow is discreet

It does not mourn about
for nothing is for mourning
I have a home, love, joy, laughter flows from my mouth

No if anything my sorrow must be
a longing for joy rekindled
when you are again with me......

Ok enough blathering and brainstorming verse...

Nova Scotia was great. Though the writing conference that I was supposed to attend was upruptly cancelled thanks to the illness of the main presenter. While the refund was nice, the connections would have been invaluable.

Despite that Jay and I had fun. We walked all over the Halifax shores, with ample time for photography. I have some nice portraits of "Interesting Faces"

I found myself fascinated with what is known as the curse of Halifax. Seems being a major seaport/harbor on the east coast, they have had more than their share of shipping disasters..
I really think they should rename the curse to "the curse of the Whitestar line" as everything can be linked to that shipping line: from the Titanic through the Halifax explosion.

The early 1900's were not an especially good time for Halifax. Nothing was so jaw-droppingly captivating as the Halifax explosion. I mean we all know that the Titanic burial grounds are here and that Halifax, NS was the HQ's of the search and recovery of it's victims, but how many of you know the details about one of the most horrific explosions pre-atomic bomb-age?

The Titanic went down in 1912 and 5 short years later, Halifax was to be rocked to the core and nearly fately wounded. Seems a warship, the Mount Blanc loaded with an estimated 300 tons of explosives was coming into the harbour, as another she the Emo (sp?) was leaving. Due to pilot error and serious miscalculation on the part of both captians the ships collided. It wasn't serious enough to sink either ship, though it would have been better for Halifax if it were. No instead the grinding of metal on metal of the hulls sparked a fire on board the Mount Blanc.

Knowing what was on board they attempted in vain to put it out. When it was certain that their efforts were futile the sailors abandoned ship for the Dartmouth side of the harbour, but no one warned the many citizens who came from their homes to rubberneck the accident scene, watching the flames engulf the ship. All mistakenly thinking a uboat had torpedoed the boat.

nope. As many gathered along the shore line and many more watched from their windows, the Mount Blanc exploded. The explosion simultaneously blew up and out and down into the shallow harbour. This unfortunately caused a "blow back" and ampliefied the force, vaporizing the shoreside onlookers and annilating miles of homes, buildings and people. Parts of the Mount Blance were found as far as 4 miles from the crash site. The town was flattened and the force of the explosion was felt as far away as Prince Edward Island.

In old Halifax where we stayed the buildings were spared, save for the blown out windows, but just a few miles away a bustling down was laid to waste.

Miraculously, there were survivors. My favorite story is of a 2 year old girl who was in her kitchen on that fateful morning. The explosion up-ended the sink and it's contents on top of her, forming a tiny bomb shelter. She was spared and orphaned at the same time. They have the dress she wore, still covered in blood and debris on display with a photo of the now grown woman at the Maritime museum. She was the only one left in the area of her house; the only one spared.

Boston, was the first US city and second only to St John's Bay, to respond to the crisis, sending food, supplies and people to help with not only the immediate recovery efforts, but the long process of rebuilding the town.

It is for this reason that every year, Halifax sends Boston an evergreen tree to be displayed at the Prudential Center as our City's Christmas tree. It is their way of remembering and saying thank you for the help.

Sadly there is another outcome to that explosion. It taught scientists and military planners how to make thier bombing efforts much more devastating and it is why they exploded the Hiroshima bomb just above the earth's surface, so that the blow back would intensify it's destructive force.

I was awed by the resilence of the people here and how they have made the transition from a naval port to a tourist mecca. They were simple delightful. I will be going pack for a photographic expedition, but I think I will go for the company as well.

Now that I'm home I'm concentrating on a few things

1. HALLOWEEN
2. Good Omens as Octobers book of the month
3. Turning a very delightful murder connection to my hotel into a ghost story for the novel writing week.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:35 pm

Why is it whenever you are dressed really nicely, something happens to make a mess out of you? Is is a cosmic joke? Ah look, she looks casual, but elegant....we have to mess it up...send a bird to poop on her!

By that same token, why do we think that birds or other creatures relieving themselves on us is a "lucky" sign?

I don't think it's very lucky. It ruins a good outfit and makes you smell. What is so lucky about that?

Case in point. I adore my nephew (honorary of course). He is adorable and the camera just loves him. Well on Friday he turned 1 and sure enough his mom threw a party for him. Why? Why does any mom throw a party for a child who won't even remember it; to celebrate the fact that she not only survive childbrith a year ago, but she has survived the bottle feedings, diaper changes, crawling, talking (if you can call it that) vomiting and sleep deprivation for a whole year. See the party is really for her..wink (don't hit me moms..you know it's true. how many of you have kids who see the 1 year birthday party photos and ask what was this?)

Anyway...

She had the party Saturday afternoon. I went over a her house a little early to give the strung out mom a little hand in getting the 'star' ready for 'his' day.

Her apartment is too small, so she has worked out a deal with the church down the street to rent their bingo room (small but functional). While she is down there handling a million details that she was making 'just so' I was keeping an eye on the sleeping tot.

My first mistake was to go there dressed for this party, which was casual, but a little dressy. I was wearing what my mom would call a "hostess outfit' of burgandy velvet and soft suede slide shoes. The pants were loose and comfy as I thought I would end up the pied-piper of children as usual.

Well baby Justin has been cutting teeth, which makes him cranky. When he awoke after only 45 mins to find his mom not there and his two aunts Sandy (me) and Sandy (Cori's friend from high school) by his side, his eczema itching so rips off a scab on his forehead that immediately weeps red, he did what every kid would do--wails!!

Sandy tells me that we have to get him dressed because time is running out and that his diaper need changing, but baby Justin has other plans, he want to be held and when his skin touches the soft velvet, he doesn't want any part of being laid down for a diaper change.

So, I go into business mode and decide to multitask. I can change a kid's diaper with one hand..sure I can.

My next biggest mistake was telling the boy "Ok just don't pee."

His teary eyes twinkled with recognition and as if doing a doggie trick I feel hot liquid soak my breast, stomach and hip instantaneously. This produced a momentary giggle until I pulled him away from me then he wailed again.

Well what could I do? I was already soaked. So Sandy tended to the floor. I cleaned the screaming child's bottom and strapped a diaper on him. then proceeded to walk him 'round the apartment trying to calm him.

My over all mistake was forgetting that there was only one thing that soothes the savage beast in Justin..the Dreaded BARNEY!!!!

So into the living room I go, spying Barney on the floor, I scoop him up, which is a feat when you think I have a screaming child on my dry hip and I'm trying desperately to avoid the wet velvet from cling to me on the other side.

I start pressing the little heart shaped dot, which spews "I love you, you love me..."

In moments...silence...

Sandy follow suit pulling up Barney and friends on Cable. Dee arrives just then and I leave the dressing to Sandy and Dee drives a pee soaked me to the mall.

Luckily Lane Bryant and New York and company are side by side and the girls there have great senses of humor.

In broken English I manage Baby...pee...party..no time.

Instantly I was outfitted with lingerie from lane bryant (they don't sell it inthe other store) and pants top and socks from the other. All I had to do was stand still and offer my credit card. Then off to the bathroom where I hosed down and changed and made the party in about 20 minutes total.

This is another reason why I'm not having kids!!!!!

as for luck...I will let you know....but so far I haven't won the lottery
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:02 am

Ok well as I said before, I am going to be sharing my living out loud phase with you all.

so there are two things to grumble about:

First, I want my own cheerleading squad. You know a little miniturized set that I can stick in my back pocket and when I'm having a down moment or maybe facing a something I deem challenging, I can take them out and get an instant.

"Wow, that sounds awesome! Lets do it!"

"You are so right that guy doesn't know who he's dealing with, he'll be sorry."

I made the mistake of verbalizing this to my mom the other day and well that opened a pandora's box. You would have thought I was accusing her of beating me as a child. But, that isn't what I meant. See most of my life folks see me as independent and capable..and for the most part I am, I guess.

But, what I meant was that some times, sometimes I wish people wouldn't think of me as so Gosh darn competent and just want to take care of me.

I mentioned doing this book and I got a mediocre...ok.

When this all boiled down, I got well you are so focused we don't think you need us.

See that's my point. I'm everyone else's cheerleader. If someone gets fired, I'm there pulling up the want ads and helping dust off the resume. If someone is going out for a contest I'm cheering them on, if they are having a rough time, I'm there w/ the tissues. If it's someone's birthday, I come up with interesting creative ways to surprise them. I remember the little things people want and without anyone asking or hinting I find away of getting them for them. Yet, I don't really have that type of person around me. It really is tough when you're the most creative one in your group of friends. They just don't think along the same lines. Yet, whenever I mention this at all, I'm met with disappointment and sadness, but that's not what I mean..for example.

On Dee's 30th birthday, I started one month before and sent her sympathy cards via different departments at her job, they all signed them, one a day for 30 days. I changed the answering machine to a durge with a mournful message and had all party goers arrive in black. The living room was converted into a funeral parlor, complete with wooden chairs in rows and a tiny little coffin.

When everyone had arrived and Dee was sitting front and center, I read the Eulogy, in mourning for her passing youth.

The following year I turned 30 and I got a set of luggage.

Hey now luggage is nice and I happened to need it, but was it a cheerleading quality birthday? No.

I'm the one everyone calls to ask friend's favorite colors, christmas wishlist, etc. No one else seems to remember or care and well I guess it got me wondering if creative people don't draw like minded souls into their immediate everyday circles.

No don't get me wrong....WT has been a great source of support, but you guys aren't in my backpocket and certainly not next door....I log on here to get some of the cheerleading I don't get in my everyday ordinary life away from the computer.

Yet it doesn't stop me from wondering how I could go out and get me a set of sincere cheerleaders to put in my pocket. You know like an emergency moral booster...when needing support...just add water.

You know I've never had a surprise party. No has ever thought to try and suprise me..well wait that's not exactly true, my nieces surprised me w/ a cake, but how much of a surprise is it when I'm taking them to the stores to buy the ingredients and they wouldn't know how to whisper if they were given explicit instructions. Lol
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:22 am

Ok Grouse #2:

CONTRACTERS

Why is it that contracters see breasts and blonde hair and think they are dealing w/ a dumb broad??

Sorry I know this is a generality...so to all you decent contractors, out there some where, please slap your brethren!

We are remodeling the formal kitchen. Turning it into mom's dream kitchen. This has been one of the jobs that should have been done ages ago, but gets put off and put off for other things. (Mom is like that self-scraficing for others.)

But, as with Ireland, it was her turn to be rewarded, since she is the Julia Childs of this clan.

So we refinanced and decided on a plan. Aside from some miscommunications between me and Dee (that is another story and we will probably end up killing each other before this is over, but I will B@*!# about that another time.)

We pretty much know what we want.

Well in comes Mr. Joe Contractor and his pudgey sidekick...by the way, men pick up your pants! Butt crack is not attractive, especially not on a geezer older than my mom.

He proceeds to tell us that we don't want a stone floor or even hardwood floors, but he knows we need linolium. "He has it in his house and it looks just like stone. Why would I want something that looks like, when the real thing is what I want!

Then without entertaining our needs and wants says.."Oh yeah, we're going to gut this baby, we can tear out that wall (BTW it was a load bearing wall) and open up that closet (cedarlined walk-in linen closet), do away with the pantry and all the moldings around the windows (130 year old bevelled rosewood molding 8"wide and 2" deep", shorten the windows to standard size and slap on some nice new trim. Rip out the walls and replace them with plaster board and...as if all of this weren't bad enough...

he tells us that he will give us an "Allowance" for appliances so that we don't spend too much on appliances.

My first response was "What are you HIGH!!?"

I am not removing insulated horsehair walls with only a few nail holes in them, we are not gutting this kitchen and you touch the molding in this house and I will shove your hammer up you @#!

Mom want's a stone floor, she has it picked out, she wants rosewood cabinets to match the trim, an island and new appliances. Oh and then he gives me this horse pucky story about the ceiling fan not being regulation and he wants to replace it with track lights and a drop ceiling.

I just wanted to know if he ever worked in any house that was older that 5 years and wasn't in the projects. He then says "He's the contractor" To which he got that I'm sure he knew nothing about adding value to property and that he may want to have his own home appraised and see what the appraiser says when he tells him he replaced hardwood flooring with Linoleum.

Oh and then I wanted the gas stove moved from oneside of the chimney to the other and he told me that it would be "Very expensive"

I checked with home depot. For the amount of piping that we would need it would cost a mere 36 bucks.....so much for very expensive. Oh and the buffoon wanted to drill a hole through the chimney to run the pipe! Not in my house and not in this lifetime.

So I am now scouting out materials online, I have already shaved 9 grand of that rediculous estimate he gave me.

Needless to say, he did not get the job.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:43 am

what a jackass! i dont blame you for not giving him the job.

and hiss, i totally understand the wanting the cheerleading section. i always was the cheerleader for my friends and at work. but i hardly ever got it in return. one of my friends would break up with a guy and it would be operation "find her a new man." i would be single and they wouldnt even bother to call to make sure I was OK. i'd help people out at work, but no one would help me.

it sucks. i feel your pain.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:44 pm

bet they would tell you "Oh we didn't think you needed any help in that department..."or did you ever get..."well you know I'm not as 'creative' as you, I wouldn't know where to begin."

Sigh, I tell ya the first time one of my daily everybodies does something hugely creative to surprise me, you'll find me in the ER. Rofl...

so I will keep surprising them and cheering them on and keep saying thank you for my luggage...what else is there..smile.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:11 pm

Contractors work on the assumption that if you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't have called.

Having said that, don't assume that just because the piping only costs $36 that the estimate will be way off . . . when it comes to remodeling, a lot of things are much harder than they look, and require copious amounts of time (that homeowners often balk at paying for.)

For example, a stone floor in the kitchen might involve shoring up the floor underneath (stone is really heavy, and can often cause the underflooring to buckle).

Not saying this guy isn't one of those "I don't care what you want, I know how to do it THIS way" types . . . just saying to be careful, and get lots of opinions.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:07 pm

I know that...and if he had said that it would take more time or even bothered to explain that would be one thing.

I also know about stone floors. I am installing a marble floor in my bedroom and this house was built with cross beams sturdy enough to hold a hell of a lot of weight. I wouldn't consider a stone floor other wise. As for the assumption, well that is just wrong....just because I am calling doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I have an understanding of construction and wiring and plumbing and sure I could do most of it myself if I really wanted to, but then my mother would be dead by the time it was done.

If I failed to mention it before, let me explain. I live in the house that the designer and builder of all of the homes on my street and several streets over lived in. He was the sole prior occupant before my family bought the house. It was "his" house and he built it w/ great care. He had a workshop out back and in the 60's the city was going to tax us for a second residence on the property. A contractor came out then and said..."No problem, we can have it down in a week." It took them 3 months. The thing was so well built and that was just his workshop.

His house he built as the show case for his work and to please his wife. It is well made and made to withstand cast iron stoves, stone floors, grand pianos and hurricane force winds. There isn't a straight path from the 3rd floor to the cellar, save for the chimneys. Every floor is a myriad of cross-beamed supports.

It is made of solid hard woods, with hand crafted rosewood moldings, banisters and stairs. There are no 2 windows in the entire house that measure the same. The Roofing is slate and the walls are horsehair plaster, not plaster board. When running electrical lines they had to remove the old gas fixtures and use the conduit piping from them to string the electricals. The first floor was for servants, but he made it of the same woods and took the same care with the details. They old claw foot tubs and sliding doors that reached from floor to ceiling no longer exist, but the house remains pretty much the same.

And THAT is the problem. The last rennovation to the Kitchen was in the 60's. We do not have cabinets or counter space, we have a walk-in pantry and a cedar-lined linen closet.

We want to update the kitchens, increase the worth of the home, but maintain the historic value of the home.

As far as getting lots of opinions, (grins) Damn Skippy (as my father would say). I planned on at least 4, but now mom has gone and done it..

She wants a Viking or Wolf professional gas range. Unfortunately, this means rethinking the proposed configuration of the kitchen. Why?

Well, these stove through off so much heat they MUST be vented. It is highly recommended to place them on an outside wall as the expense and work it takes to place them in a center island with a vent above is basically rediculous. The can't be vented through a chimney either.

and guess where mom wanted this range...in an island that jutted out from the chimney.

Now I don't know how much you all know about professional ranges but they start at 4 thousand w/o the hood and backsplash (both mandatory) add them and you are looking at 6 grand. To start now mom wants the 48 " model with the proofing oven. Of course she does....

So, I have proposed, putting the rennovation on hold over the winter, throw the $$ into short term, high-yield CD's will pay for the stove and we can do more research on contractors and what not til the spring, getting as many written bids as we can...

so Mudge...how's your Kitchen work?
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:28 pm

I hate the winter doldrums. Don‘t know if I want to keep this blog these days. It‘s not like I frequently post to it or anything. No I'm not depressed, not really, just doing an inordinate amount of thinking these days. ‘s’funny really, I started this blog when I was anonymous (fairly). This site was a place for my inner soul only. There was this heady rush of freedom: talking, playing, flirting without reservation, without wondering what if I met so &so at the corner Starbucks.

I must admit I enjoyed the rush. It was addictive and more appealing to me than any buzz wine and spirits are purported to have and, for me, lack all together. But, now I’ve gotten to know you, even have gone so far as to meet some of you face to face. You know me. I have everyday friends and colleagues as members, who pop on from time to time and the knowledge that they can access anything here on the public boards, is well…inhibitive.

I find myself censoring my thoughts. Not that I think I will be judged, critiqued or will wont for acceptance. It’s not that really. This is my second home. It’s just that and I wonder if any of you feel this way, it’s not the same, creatively.

Knowing you all gives me a deeper sense of belonging yes, but it also dampened my creativity. I haven’t wanted to blurt out a short story or poem and just let it sit out there and I’m wondering why.

Does getting closer, actually dropping the mask of anonymity, come at the cost of creative freedom?

I mean if we conducted a totally blind contest, where no one knew who’s piece was who’s , would I feel that creative rush, that sense of pure uninhibited freedom to say, do , be anything I want…on paper at least.

No, probably not. I would expect you would know my writing style by now. But, maybe a little of that rush would be there, maybe? I don’t know.

I do know I wouldn’t trade my home here for it, but I do admit, I miss that electricity. I miss the sensation of total freedom, whether or not it actually existed.

So what is it about anonymity that provokes such a feeling of freedom? Why does it set the creative mind a whirl? Is it an addiction like any other addiction to be controlled, reigned in before it gets out of hand?

Would it lead to some deviant behavior, seeking out writing site after writing site looking for that new high, that rush where no one knows you, spewing out metaphors and yarns until you find you are neglecting your taxes, houses, spouses, on the verge of divorce with nothing more than a few titillating stories to stave off the pain and loneliness your new found obsession has created?

In other words, is the creative energy I feel from hiding behind a mask of nothingness merely a dangerous illusion? One that keeps me from writing and owning what I write. What is this need to be illusive?

Not sure. Maybe it’s just the winter’s lack of sunshine that has me pondering things…I hate the winter doldrums.
[/color]
Weenokee
Wordtripper

Postby Weenokee » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:48 am

Fear possibly? It sounds as though you are afraid of people seeing/judging
your creative prose. Well, there are two ways of looking at this. Either you are
the type of person who will follow the old saying of what my mom says" don't do
anything in the dark, that you wouldn't want to come out into the light"
OR, you can choose to be the free spirit, one that has no boundries, no inhabitions
and fall into your writting opening all doors without fear of where they might lead.
Myself, I choose to listen to dear ol' mom. If I can't be proud of what I do,
then I won't do it.
Just food for thought.
Wee :)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:50 pm

Maybe Wee...although I'm not really afraid of people seeing/judging that much..I enter the contests here and the challenges because I love competition, go figure I have a competitive side, but maybe you have hit on something...Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist, so unless it's perfect I don't want to show it off..hmm food for thought.

I will admit, I am more of the school girl type than the rebel type in most things though my friends may beg to differ, lol. Coming from a stern military household it more difficult to throw off the shackles for the calling of free-spirit hijinx, but is that all this is? The rush of being anonymous is just that I get to "break the rules of everyday life" and be 'naughty' if I want. Hey look at me! I'm a rebel, I won't give my real name and I didn't place a comma where it should have been...hmm..

Don't know...I do know that the feeling was like an electric current. Almost makes me want to sign on under a different name and see how long it takes the gang to figure out it's me..nah that would take too much work and I'm lazy.

LOL.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:22 pm

There's a certain freedom that comes with anonomity--ask Clark Kent--but true creativity comes from order and restriction.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:47 pm

Ah thanks wise friend...

I'm not saying that I want to abandon order as I've preached the novel is in the re-write and I will never be the full on 'free-spirit' type.

I'm just finding it interesting how much of a rush I got out of my anonymous writings in the beginning. It was like getting away with something...maybe that's why I'm the 'secret santa' of the neighborhood?

It's not altruistic at all my covert acts of kindness, wink it's the rush I get knowing someone is going to say.."Cool but who was that mystery person?"

lol
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:32 pm

On a lighter note:

Good news.

My dearest Jay, known in these parts as Ravenheart, has completed a successful visit to Florida, photographing the Pluto expedition launch. He will be working with the various labs, etc. in developing an educational/promotional program for kids.

I will give you all the link for the photos, when I get it.

OUR VERY OWN B-Ball turns 15 on Saturday...wish her a happy, happy one.

and I haven't killed anyone this week, so I must be doing something right. (evil grin)
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:46 pm

I found the quiz for Hiss! I took it myself:

You Are an Espresso

At your best, you are: straight shooting, ambitious, and energetic

At your worst, you are: anxious and high strung

You drink coffee when: anytime you're not sleeping

Your caffeine addiction level: high

What Kind of Coffee Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatkindofcoffeeareyouquiz/

Funny, though, I don't drink coffee at all!
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun May 14, 2006 11:28 pm

Well as some of you know, I am rennovating this house. Not so much as an urge for change but because the damned thing is revolting against me bit by bit!

All I wanted to do was redo the kitchen and take it from the 1950's to the new century. Turns out the house has had other plans. It's internal workings [mostly residing in the cellar I never visit] have decided that they won't wait another moment to be revamped, rehauled and redone. Well first the plumbing problems-chapter 1 this march, then the electricity which, by they way they have just completed on Friday, and then there was chapter 2 in the plumbing saga: my main sewage pipe committed suicide.

Now! Now that the electricity has been fixed I have a new main sewage pipe and I'm flat broke, NOW!!!!! ARGH! Now, the rain hits and for the first time in 100 years, my cellar is taking on water, and not just a coating...no that would be easy...we have about 6-10 inches of water!

Of course I don't have a sump pump. I have never needed one. Do you know how hard it is to find a sump pump at 8pm on a Sunday?

Luckily my cousin had one, seems her cellar is spared this deluge, and has loaned it to me. As of 1/2 an hour ago, I have it pumping out the bilge that has mucked up my cellar. Now I know this is an unfinished cellar complete with cinder flooring and exposes stone walls, but damn it all how much $$$$ is this house going to bleed from me before summer?

Simmering in my own frustrations,
Hiss
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon May 15, 2006 1:01 am

Maybe if you threaten the house that you're going to go on Extreme Home Makeovers and they're going to demolish the place and start all over, then it might be good to ya. You take your whips and chains out on us so why not use them on the house every now and then? :D Seriously though I feel for you. I'm sure Mudge has some advice about cleaning up basements/cellars after water damage. I think he had a wonderful time with his little adventure. :wink:
Is this my reality or yours?
NYR94
Master Tripper

Postby NYR94 » Mon May 15, 2006 6:42 pm

Ahh, home ownership! Where no matter how many things you take care of one weekend, there's plenty more to do come the next weekend...and the next...and the next.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon May 15, 2006 6:45 pm

Ugh! don't remind me...got the cellar dried out just in time for more RAIN.....next weekend is prep weekend for installing entire new walls and flooring in the back hall...and if the yard ever dries out....I have 2 patios going in...one circular by a professional..and one chessboard done by yours truly....fun, fun, fun...

no wonder I'm insane
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 pm

Wow Hiss, I had no idea you where such a landscaper/ interior designer. I hope that when you finish - if your house doesn't go tango-uniform and sink that is - you can post a few pictures! I'd love to see what you did!
"Space is deep, man is small, and time is his relentless enemy" L. Ron Hubbard
http://www.ilovecheese.com/
"It's hard to dance when the floor keeps moving"...
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun May 21, 2006 10:14 pm

if I can ever master the darn act of posting them..you got it..wink
Ravenheart
Wordtripper

balance my love...balance

Postby Ravenheart » Mon May 22, 2006 5:06 pm

Hey Hiss...
Relax a bit take more time to de-stress and write when you are inspired to. Not when you're feeling pressured, mainly by yourself.
Hi all...especially to hissmonster. We met at the ISP convention in Washington DC in 04/04 and have forged a wonderful relationship on several different levels since then.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:44 pm

Do forgive me you all. Jay just went home today and my internet connection has been giving me problems. I will be on sporadically til I can get the knots undone....may need a new modem...we'll see....

But I haven't abandoned my merry band of misfits....will fill you in on all the dish and what not when I'm fully up and running again.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:27 pm

Incidentally, Hiss, what ever happened to the WT Journal?
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America

Return to “Personal Blogs”