Teenies Scratchpad

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Teenies Scratchpad

Postby TinaS1570 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:49 pm

I'm starting this thread, because at this moment I have no motivation. Maybe I'm tired.

I started this story last week. At first, I thought it was going to be a more "adult" themed story. Which is why I have yet to post it here. Well, that and I'm still shy. Especially since when I read everyone's work here, it's all so meaningful and I go back and read my stuff and it's bunk. Useless drivel that really shouldn't be sharing space here on these boards, IMO, any way. yes, I know, I'm hard on myself.

Back to my story, I like this story. Girl leaves abusive relationship with tiny daughter. Meets nice people, gets a job and place to live. Lives life for a few years happily until she meets someone that makes her heart skip a beat. I've been contemplating all day about WHY people would want to read this story. I don't consider my self a "romance" writer. To me, when I read my words, it doesn't read like the romance novels I've read in the past.

I'm not looking to change anyone's life, just to entertain and heck, who am I kidding, I'm just entertaining myself.

I'm very self-depreciating today. I don't know why.

I think babbling here may have helped. I think I'll open up the other screen now and see what I can do this evening.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul." - GD
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Re: Teenies Scratchpad

Postby TheMudge » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:53 pm

TinaS1570 wrote: I'm just entertaining myself.

Why do you think the REST of us write, if not first and foremost to entertain ourselves?
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:56 pm

*bleh*

I gave up. I stared at the words on the screen and opted to play a POGO game instead

can't be dazzling every evening. ;)
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Re: Teenies Scratchpad

Postby Anblick » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:59 pm

TinaS1570 wrote:I'm starting this thread, because at this moment I have no motivation. Maybe I'm tired.

I started this story last week. At first, I thought it was going to be a more "adult" themed story. Which is why I have yet to post it here. Well, that and I'm still shy. Especially since when I read everyone's work here, it's all so meaningful and I go back and read my stuff and it's bunk. Useless drivel that really shouldn't be sharing space here on these boards, IMO, any way. yes, I know, I'm hard on myself.

Back to my story, I like this story. Girl leaves abusive relationship with tiny daughter. Meets nice people, gets a job and place to live. Lives life for a few years happily until she meets someone that makes her heart skip a beat. I've been contemplating all day about WHY people would want to read this story. I don't consider my self a "romance" writer. To me, when I read my words, it doesn't read like the romance novels I've read in the past.

I'm not looking to change anyone's life, just to entertain and heck, who am I kidding, I'm just entertaining myself.

I'm very self-depreciating today. I don't know why.

I think babbling here may have helped. I think I'll open up the other screen now and see what I can do this evening.

Sounds like you've stumbled into the 'tweener' land of romance and drama... Good luck. (And I write only for myself...)
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:54 am

Sounds awsome, Tina. Make sure you find a central conflict to drive the story and you'll have a winner. I'd like to read some of it.
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby TinaS1570 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:51 pm

Well, it's a slow day here at the paying gig. So much so, I got that final inquiry out to Godsmack's management for the interview request. I can't believe how many hoops I have to jump to just get a straight answer yes or no. I'm hoping yes, since NW wants to pay me a nice sum for getting this interview with Sully.

*crosses fingers*

i even printed out the story, which I have no title for yet either. Titles are hard. Sometimes. my assignment title was easy. but then again it was a pretty easy assignment.

wonder if i can get any work done while here, since it's really REALLY slow. The phones have hardly rung all morning.

i don't think i'll read the story straight through right now. I'll just read the last few paragraphs and maybe that'll get the brain working and I can write more. i know if i got back to the beginning, I'll start editing and never finish.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:53 pm

You sound like a Godsmack fan. I was reading your post and wanted to listen to my Godsmack CD, but ARGGH! I can't find it! Now I have to postpone my writing and look for it.

I agree that editing a piece before its finished can be the death of it. It takes up time that could be used to prgress the story..another version of procrastination....kind of like this WT site is...

OK, I'm going to get off this site and start writing now.
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby TinaS1570 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:06 pm

oh surreeeeeeeee blame my post for the procrastination! :lol: :lol:

i know what you mean though, i need to have the right "mood music" when I sit down to write.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:24 pm

I have a mix put together of motivational songs for writing. Hmmm....maybe that should be a thread....BRB

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby TinaS1570 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:41 pm

Well i posted my crits in WG#3. I don't think they're very helpful. :? They are pretty much: "I liked it and here's why" noting some of my favorite parts. oh well. I'm sure once I finally get around to posting something, I'll learn first hand how to do a crit properly. :lol:

I think I'll log off for a bit and write some more. Maybe I'll even get enough down where I feel I can finally post for crits. ;)
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:16 pm

well bleh. another one of those nights where I got nothing done. Got home from hanging with the group and couldn't use the computer right away, so I dozed off. Then Bear came over and by this time it was 9:45 and I wasn't in the mood for company, which, yup caused a fight. now i'm wide awake and cranky and don't feel like doing anything.

bleh bleh bleh bleh bleh
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:36 am

Don't poke the bear!

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby TinaS1570 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:45 pm

I decided that the story I've been working on, is starting to transform into a novel. So today I've been working on organizing and all the fun stuff that goes with it.

I left my notebook and my printouts at work today. I feel so lost without them. My printer is broken here at home, so I printed what I've written so far at work and now it's there. Sitting on my desk in the dark. I'm just hoping my nosy supervisor, decided to skip his nightly rifle through my desk. But if I know him and Boss man, they both noticed the bright red cover of my spiral and got curious. Oh well.

At least now i have a sense of direction on what I'm working on. Now I can polish up the first chapter at least and post it for crit to the Ministry next week. :D
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:47 pm

Good for you Tina!

Despite the fact that I will probably be crit'ing it...

:)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:50 pm

I like to read about someone who's actually getting something on paper. Blank paper is BAD! It's EVIL!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:00 pm

Blank paper: my greatest temptation, my greatest curse . . .

Sorry, Teenie--you can have your blog back now . . .

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:07 pm

awww i don't mind.

I'm a little nervous about Anblick crit-ing for me.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:08 pm

Read it all, take the good, ignore the rest.

I'd say that no matter WHO was critiquing you. Even me.

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:11 pm

You asked for gentle crits. I know I've been harsh on some members, but I DO listen to what they want for crits...)

If you want one of my more detailed crits that isn't aired to everyone, just PM me, and I'll PM it to you...

I'll be gentle, I promise. Just make sure you post for next week!

I'm just worried about how much I might have to crit between you and ghost...
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:16 pm

i don't think it'll be as long as ghosts...but ya never know. ;)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:21 pm

Hey Tina... I know you'll get some great crits from your group. And Anblick is great at it, so you don't have to worry about him. :wink:

I love getting a chapter critiqued because it helps me see things I don't see on my own. I take the good and the bad and mix it all up in a pot, picking and choosing what fits best for my story and more times than not... the critiquer helps me a lot because they "are" the potential reader of my novel. :)

Have fun with it!!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:32 pm

I will crit to the level people ask...

I won't bite, I promise...
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:49 pm

yeah, gotta build up that thick skin first. :lol:
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:52 pm

Can't wait till you post your first stuff next week. You're feeling fine, now, right?
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:04 pm

yup all better. Mommy got me miracle drugs. :lol:

Like i said, it's written, it's just really REALLY rough. I was writing just to get the words out. Now, when I collect my notebook at work tommorrow (i still can't believe I left it at work) I can type/edit it all up and post it next week.

*big muppet yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy here*

I work arse backwards sometimes. Now that I made the decision for it to be a potential novel, I'm working on the character backgrounds. So far so good....

Return to “Personal Blogs”