What's the hardest part of writing for you?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Hardest part of writing for you?

Coming up with Ideas
12%
Editing
4%
Putting Pen to Paper
21%
Finishing projects
25%
Making Time
22%
Grammar/Punctuation
3%
Rejection
1%
Publishing
3%
Other
7%

Total votes: 67
Sossity
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Sossity » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:04 am

I have trouble finishing a story or should I say ending a story. I just find more to write on the subject and the next thing I know a 1000 word story has become a mini novel I can't sell.
There's no limit on happy memories. Make some more!
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:30 am

Editing is the toughest chore--killing all those darlin' words and phrases that don't move the story ahead. So I send them into a limbo file of lost phrasing....
 He was carrying enough bags under his eyes to jam a baggage carousel.
 O’Neal flirted with a grin, but sent it to the basement for acting out of character.
 When it comes to fame in New York, the penthouse is a very short distance from the outhouse.
 Her contact lenses turned her eyes into frightening blue ball bearings.
 She was more librarian than siren.
 The neurotics enjoyed their days of whines and roses.
 Love is an art, but it’s not one of the performing arts.
 If success is ten percent inspiration and ninety percent perspiration, this told me Joe was in dire need of a deodorent.
Like Elvis, they aren't dead; they'll be there when I really need them.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:03 pm

PROCRASTINATION.............................................................................................................. ............etc.....................................................................
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
Sossity

Postby Sossity » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:05 pm

That is so true Timberline, If I do a lot of editing I could make enough shredded paper for all the hamsters in the world for a year.
There's no limit on happy memories. Make some more!
Bre18
Wordtripper

Postby Bre18 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:37 pm

For me the hardest thing is putting pen to paper. I'm always thinking up ideas, but I never know where to take them so I don't write them down. I always think of my best ideas at school anyway, and I almost got detention last time I tried to write in class, but instead the teacher "did me a favor" and stole the notebook. :cry: I did end up getting it back though....but still...

-Bre18
Thinking like your are crazy is sometimes closer to sanity then sane thinking.
Phantascene

Postby Phantascene » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:39 pm

I chose finishing projects as the hardest part of my writing, although a close tie was making time. I just seem to have so much to get done in the day that I never seem to get around to actually fitting writing into the scedule and when I do fit it in I spend so much time on trying to decide how to finish the story off that I eat up most of the time I had for writing.

The main reason finishing projects got to be my choice as the hardest is because I seem to be able to make it to the middle of stories, but then can't think how the third quarter of the book should go. I have no problems with beginning a story and can picture how it ends, but at the middle of it I stumble and can't connect the middle to the end. ](*,)

My third option would be coming up with ideas. I keep trying to think of ideas I can work on when I get stuck on my novel, and can never find something I like enough to write about.

Grammar and punctuation... both suck, obviously. But thankfully I take rejection and criticism very well. (I've even been rejected! :D ::bouncing:: :D several times!)
camconcay

Postby camconcay » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:03 pm

I chose other as I believe some level of talent is needed before I would run into the other problems, all of which would apply :sigh:
http://3CGraphics.com

Personalized items of all types, one off and small runs are our specialty.
Aiden

Postby Aiden » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:44 pm

Starting. I can hardly make myself start. Once I start, I'm fine.
Mary R

Postby Mary R » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:43 pm

I can never seem to get anything done. I start a project, get a couple of pages in, decide it's complete crap, and delete it. (rinse, then repeat)

A close second, though, is making time/putting pen to paper. Any time I really, really want to write and have a wonderful idea and a lot of energy, I can't spare two minutes. But when there's nothing to do, I sit and stare at the blank screen, wondering what was that great idea I had while sprinting from the copy store to class the other day...
slickerydoo

Postby slickerydoo » Mon May 17, 2004 1:00 pm

The hardest part of writing for me is thinking. If I didn't have to do that I could write all day.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon May 17, 2004 1:09 pm

I think you have hit the nail on the head slickerydoo. . . :D
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
kexxy
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby kexxy » Mon May 17, 2004 5:52 pm

lol, thinking hurts! I think that I write best when I dont think, when I'm just writing abotu anything, then what Im really trying to say finds its way out eventually. Thats when I get in my element and stop thinking totally, my heart starts writing for me.
Dont "should" on yourself,
Dont "Should" on others,
And NEVER let anyone,
Should on you!
Violinagin

Postby Violinagin » Mon May 17, 2004 10:20 pm

Rejection... Or actually typing a story out once I finish it...
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Tue May 18, 2004 1:05 am

Actually finishing projects is the hardest part for me. For example, I started a new work last night, and I already have three on the boil at the moment. This'll be interesting... *rolls eyes*
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
slickerydoo

Postby slickerydoo » Mon May 24, 2004 3:52 pm

Kelly,

You're no fun!

Slickerydoo
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon May 24, 2004 4:50 pm

My problem is once I get something good down, I'm afraid of writing anything else in case its worse.
So I hardly ever finish. Or...I'll get bored with the subject and skip around.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon May 24, 2004 4:57 pm

It's ALL hard!
The only easy part is cashing the check! :lol:
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:31 am

bringing forward
tearsonroses

Postby tearsonroses » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:43 am

My worst problem is writer's block. I get a gap in the story that I am writing and I am stuck until I build the bridge.
Hope, Love, Dream
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:39 am

I agree with Mlou, it's all hard . . . but maybe the biggest bottleneck for me is the actual typing: I have ideas running around all higgledy-piggledy in my brain, and I have to try to catch them in small enough chunks (and in the right order) long enough to get them OUT.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:53 am

Yes! When I'm really cookin', even typing fast...and I can...some of the squirmy ideas get away from me before I can nail them on paper. Every idea foster 10 more and they run every which way. But, alas...we should be so lucky as to be that way all the time!

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:58 am

I AM that way all the time, Mlou.

Well. . . except for when I'm actually trying to WRITE . . .
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:27 am

I find many ideas floating around in my head and have decided that the only way I am ever going to write is to simply grab one of them ideas and go with it.

If I worry about all the ones I let get away from me, then I will never work on any of them. Sure... we all miss out on tons of stories getting from our wee minds to the paper, but getting a couple of them is better than the regret we will feel later of letting them all slip by.

EAsier said than done, I know... but I have spent too many hours thinking "what was that idea I had yesterday" and then letting the newest idea escape me as well because I'm dwelling too much.

I think I originall stated that the hardest part for me is finishing my work... and that is still true today... that and discipline in writing.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:19 pm

That and overcoming the discouragement of not finding an agent. Of course, now, for a small fee I'm going to be published by Mudge Inc. so I'm all set! :o

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:21 pm

Is THAT the name of Mudge's company?

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”