What's the hardest part of writing for you?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Hardest part of writing for you?

Coming up with Ideas
12%
Editing
4%
Putting Pen to Paper
21%
Finishing projects
25%
Making Time
22%
Grammar/Punctuation
3%
Rejection
1%
Publishing
3%
Other
7%

Total votes: 67
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:52 pm

OK... here's the next poll...

Pick an option and jump right in with your own thoughts.

Oh, and thanks go to Anblick for this Poll idea.

CharlesP/BFedRec

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:01 pm

i voted for putting pen to paper because i will put aside time to write, but when that time comes i'm tired...or i'll stare at a blank screen not knowing what to write...or write crap.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
siggidam
Master Tripper

Postby siggidam » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:10 pm

i opted for finding the time to write. i have a 3 year old son who takes up so darn much of my time. between playing with him, cooking, cleaning and (blessed) sleep, i find that my entire day can go by without me writing a word. i do have to say that editing was a big 2nd place for me. i love the writing process, where the words just flow out of my body, through the pen, and onto the paper. i balk however, when i have to redo things, i begin to doubt myself and my ideas. there's my 2 pennies
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:13 pm

I chose making time too... with finishing projects a close second.. I've got a lot of starts... and only a very few pieces finished.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:35 pm

I find that finishing a project is the hardest. I begin something and get an Idea for another. Then start writing the next one, soon I have quite a few started and none finished.

Well...to be honest, I'm bad at most of them. That's why I need you guys so much!
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:38 pm

I picked making time... it's not that I don't have the time... it's just that I need to control the time and make it especially for writing.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:46 pm

Jill... that's why I chose "making time" instead of "having time" or "finding time" :D

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:46 pm

I said making time. I have enough of it, but get easily distracted.

Sorry, got distracted :)

A very close second is finishing projects. Once my mind figures out how the story ends, I tend to lose the excitement that goes along with creating, and I lose interest.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:49 pm

I agree with you on that Anblick... I was pointing my little arrow over both options because I often do not finish a project.

[don't worry... I'm in the cross-over for good... unless someone chops off my fingers, which could happen I guess]
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:55 pm

Too many ideas.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:10 pm

Well, by default, I chose putting pen to paper. But what's really the hardest is that I have to put my brain in gear and I usually just keep it in neutral.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:01 pm

I voted "Coming up with ideas." I find it hard to brainstorm, and often ideas are just cliches. Also, pretty movies suppress my idea-spawning skills. For example, I saw the previews for Final fantasy 7: Advent Children and Hellboy. I now feel like a failed writer. :pale:
Tasia
Master Tripper

Postby Tasia » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:05 pm

For me, starting. I have terrible confidence,
BobbyB

Postby BobbyB » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:14 pm

Finishing. I'm like Bess, I start one thing, get distracted, do something else. Like I always say "I'm all over the place". I write my novel in no logical order what so ever. I might never finish it.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:47 pm

CycoMerlin14 wrote:I voted "Coming up with ideas." I find it hard to brainstorm, and often ideas are just cliches. Also, pretty movies suppress my idea-spawning skills. For example, I saw the previews for Final fantasy 7: Advent Children and Hellboy. I now feel like a failed writer. :pale:

I think it was Willa Cather who said that the greatest weakness of a new artist was the insistence that he or she had to do something that had never been done before. But Solomon said there was "nothing new under the sun" . . . and if it was true THEN, it's even more true NOW. So write what's in your heart, understanding that it probably HAS been done before . . . but NEVER by YOU.

Now, having made that inspirational little speech . . . I'll admit that *I* was pretty bummed to find that there is a series (not just a book, but a whole freakin' SERIES) about super heroes called "Wild Cards".

. . . I was gonna call MY superhero book "Wild Card" . . . *sniffle* . . .
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:39 pm

AAAAWWWWW! We'll all put on our thinking caps and select a new title for you then you can choose from among a WEALTH of ideas.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:29 am

I have too many ideas to finish them all...ergo, my answer
Zuggy
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Zuggy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:21 am

My hardest part is finding a place to be able to write in silence. The only computer in my house is in my room and so everyone comes in here. And there really isn't anywhere else I can write in my house. Try as I might to block it out I'll get like 1 handwritten page, get interupted, read to see where I was at, decide it sucks, rip page from notebook and begin again. When I can work in silence I get everything out and worry about my sucky begining later. However my families van is to big for our garage so bada bing bada boom I'm moving in there this weekend to write
Check out my Laptop [url=laptopres.blogspot.com]Blog[/url]
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:10 am

finding time is my hardest. I'm getting better though. I used to always beat myself up for not writing every day. Because that's what I've been told for so long. But my reality is, I just can't do it every day. I'm a single parent and work full time. But I've found times where I can do it and it's working for me. Sun-Tues are my big "writing days" because those are the days where I can find at least an hour to sit and just write and no one bothers me. I'm also forcing myself to focus on writing when i come to the computer and not to get distracted by all the other cool things on my computer. Games, the net, etc.

Following through is my next biggest. I write a lot things and polish them. I just never do anything with them.
Artistic

Postby Artistic » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:22 pm

I can never seem to finish anything. I start about three stories a week and always end up starting to work on a new one before I really begin to develop what I've already started. Too many ideas…not enough focus.
dee
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby dee » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:48 pm

I chose making time. The time is there, but being used on other things.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:20 am

bringing forward...
LostCoastArtist
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LostCoastArtist » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:55 am

I said putting pen to paper. I have the time, but I usually end up getting distracted and not doing it.

Finishing projects was a close second. I have this problem with a lot of things.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:18 am

I think for me its gotta be putting pen to paper. Even when I take the time to write, I can easily sit there and stare at a blank screen until I can't take it anymore, so I start re-reading a story I've worked on and the session turns into a revision instead of new writing.

Or...I am afraid that once I get into writing a story the time flies by so quickly that it'll eat up my day and i won't get anything done. So I won't even start.
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby ghostposts » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:15 pm

mechanics, I'm afraid. Slightly dyslexic. Can't see all my mistakes. That's why I love crit groups!!

I would never have published anything without them. Every thing I have goes to one of my 3 groups before I send it out. In my opinion, it's as much to their credit as it is mine if I get an acceptance. I don't write alone. :)

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”