Amtrak's Writers Residencies?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Amtrak's Writers Residencies?

Postby charlesp » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:24 pm

http://www.thewire.com/culture/2014/02/ ... rs/358332/

Fascinating concept. I'm almost tempted to try paying for one on my own rather than waiting for a free one… just to see how it goes.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:46 pm

It does sound like a good time... and honestly, I might be more inclined to use the time writing if I've paid for it. You know... the whole 'free trip' concept makes me want to just sit back and soak it all in letting my brain become a mush of 'free delight'. But if I were to pay for it... damn straight I'm going to use it the way it was intended.

And interesting is a word I would use to describe the concept. I wonder how many writers who think they could write on a train actually could write on a train. I haven't been on one forever and I know for a fact I cannot read or write in a car. I can for a while in a plane... but cars... no way; not if I want to remain in a feel-well state of body.

It does make me feel a bit nostalgic though... even though I've never really been a train rider... it just seems it would be a writer's place to be. That and a log cabin over looking a lake with no one around for 50 miles. Isolation seems to be what people think writers need and for me... it's somewhat true. If there are people at home, I have a hard time writing because... damn them... they want to talk to me. Pesty pests.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”