Trying to get back into writing...

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

Trying to get back into writing...

Postby JillStar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:39 pm

HI!

It's been a while since I actually created a post... I had to think about how to do it. Funny that since I used to be on the site morning, noon and night and now I'm unfamiliar with where things are. I had to figure out where to post this.

I would like to be friends on FB with WT members if anyone is interested. Please send me a message if you would... or if you're less paranoid than I am, post your FB info here and I will find you. :D

Poetry has brought me back to writing... and it has lit the fire under me to continue with the story I started so many years ago. Amazing to me how time speeds past and leaves me here with the fear that one day I will die and no one will remember me. How sad is that?

So... I am using FB as a means to get back into contact with other writers. Yes, we have WT and I would love for WT to light on fire again and become super active. Until then, I would love to be able to get back into touch with people and since so many of us use FB... that seemed reasonable. :)
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:26 am

13,395 posts and you forgot how to create one? That is funny. I would also posit that if you don't worry about nobody remembering you after you're gone you've somehow let your life be on auto-pilot. Wanting to be remembered is, I think, a fundamental trait of humanity, or at least an indicator you haven't lost your humanity yet.

I'm not on facebook, but I am on Google+ (as Charles Pillsbury). Jamie Ford is on Google+ and has been doing "Writer's Hangouts" on Wednesday afternoons using their little video chat system. Basically a bunch of writers in a video conference talking for 15 minutes, then writing for 45, then repeating the process for a couple hours. It's nice way to make the writing a little less solitary AND get some words on the page.

I've been back doing daily writing for about 5 months now, though only in the last couple weeks has there been more than a day or two of fiction in there. Much of it has just been journaling sort of stuff, though there has been a fair bit of "essay on X Subject" as well (usually surrounding something for work as a means of thinking through things). I'm not terribly pleased with my fiction even when I am writing it, because I have this feeling I just don't have any stories to tell. I can put together something that resembles a plot and characters, but don't have a story that is just yearning to be told.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:22 pm

WT and FB are not diametrically opposed. In fact, for awhile it was Every Day
Fiction's forum that replaced WT with prompts and crits. Why can't we all co-exist? I'm glad I "liked" Jamie on FB and get his updates.

Would I post a WIP to the Large Writing Group? Sure, if I knew anyone was out there to kick back a comment. Jill knows that her FF prompts generated a tremendous number of sales for me. (That's why I'm stalking her on FB!)
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm still waiting for my million dollar payout Timer! LOL!!! I'm just kidding!!

I tried the Google+ thing and walked away from it pretty quick. I've heard it's pretty good but just didn't have the time (at that time) to figure it out. It's new and seemed a little wiggy so I'll give it time.

I've had my moments of wondering if fiction is for me. I was writing daily in a political blog but that has fallen off to the side as well... mainly because politics makes me fairly ill and I don't like that feeling ;)

At one point I started a blog that was a story... I wrote it from the stand point of my main character. I may go back into that... we'll see.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm trying to get back into writing by using my magnetic poetry on my calendar. I'm not impressed with the word choices but thankfully I found my starter word kit and my book lover's kit so I can take those into the office and play around with them.

I have several email addresses for various things (writing, shopping, gaming, junk) and I got a message that my writing email address was locked because I hadn't accessed it in 120 days. That's sad. I thought I fixed it but I got another message a week later saying it was closed and deleted. @#$%! I had some emails there I wanted to keep. I tried to get them to put it back up but they say hey can't.

For me there's a lot of things right now that seem to have precedents over writing. I'm trying to change that. But I find it comforting to know that even if I'm not writing I'm still thinking about it so that must mean something, right?
Is this my reality or yours?
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:43 pm

That sucks... I wonder why your email was deleted like that :(

HAHA... ya... I guess that does mean something... I'm in that place myself. Trying to move my mom here, open a new office, not throw myself off a building because my son is losing his brains, dealing with family members who won't contact me and my desire to write. Ya... it's crazy!!!
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:45 pm

I'm getting a bit back into my dark fantasy poetry writing again... all the garbage that happened back last November with my step-son really messed up my writing. I dont' know how others can just keep writing when things start falling apart around them... I guess I'm just not that strong.

But now I'm trying to get back into it... which leads into story writing.
Last edited by JillStar on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 am

It's a trope -- but possibly true -- that troubles fuel the creative urge. Much of my best writing took place when I was renting 130 miles from my not-yet-sold house and didn't know where the next month would take me. Pain and angst are learning experiences.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:12 pm

You seem to be like others... they are motivated or encouraged (?) by the stresses of life... they bog me down. Ah, but then if I'm too happy I have so many other things to do. LOL... vicious cycle. :)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:04 am

I think I'm more like you Jill... the stresses of life bog me down, though they also make me think "gee I want to write" (actually I think it might be more appropriate for me to say "gee I want to create" as sometimes it makes me want to write, sometimes to play music, sometimes to build puppets, sometimes to paint) even if they don't help me with the motivation to do so.

Friday night I ended my 168-ish day streak of doing 750words.com every day. I managed to get through Dragon*Con and still get my words in each day, but I was felled by an evening baseball game with my 8yo that I hadn't thought would run as late as it did. Granted, I did get the words written before I went to bed, but I missed the midnight deadline for it to "count"... which doesn't count for much in the grand scheme of things. I like that I have a 'writing habit' now that I've never had before. It's not unlike the way they prescribe birth control pills. There are placebo days most of the time because it's better to take it every day than it is to try and remember an odd pattern. Likewise with writing, I think it works better to write every day, even if many of those days are pure drivel, because that means you'll still be writing on the days when something good bubbles up to the top of your brain and onto the page. If you're not writing every day there very well may be times when those ideas just set below the surface of your brain and you miss them or lose them.

One of my largest fears when it comes to writing is that I've got no ideas. Only occasionally do I feel "oh that's an interesting idea" and have it be anything that might carry a story more than a few hundred words. Part of that is my own damn fault for reading so much about writing as well as reading so many genres of novels so that I have the worst time getting past the part of my brain that says "that idea you just had is almost exactly the same as X" because that part of my brain kills most of my ideas on the vine, or after a few hundred words anyway. The 750 words thing has only given me a few short stories and a lot of journaling and thinking about other subjects, and the short stories almost never start with an idea. The fiction almost always starts with just throwing a few words on a page when I don't have a good rant/journal/etc in my head waiting to get out... which probably feeds into the way none of them work out to be anything long enough to "count".

Disclaimer: I'm mainly referring to fiction writing above, but if I don't mention fiction every time and dismiss other writing as not counting I get the fun of annoying my cyber-sibling Xcheck24

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:35 pm

charlesp wrote:Disclaimer: I'm mainly referring to fiction writing above, but if I don't mention fiction every time and dismiss other writing as not counting I get the fun of annoying my cyber-sibling Xcheck24

Who is attempting to write a non-fiction book, which certainly counts. So, you know, BITE ME.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:50 pm

It's OK lil-sis *pats xcheck24 on the head in a condescending manner*

I'm unsure if it is the aforementioned fear, or just an acceptance of reality, but I suspect that if I'm ever to finish a book length writing project it will be non-fiction as well, though I'm not exactly sure the subject (there are a few ideas rolling around in my head).

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:54 pm

:rofl:
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm

Don't encourage him!
Behind the Press

There's always a bloody ghost.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:45 pm

...lol...well i doubt i will write a non fiction book...too many people will know im faking it. ;)
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:50 pm

You could write a non-fiction book about faking it to write non-fiction books! :wink:
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:19 pm

:P
Smarty pants! ;)

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”