750 words...

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

750 words...

Postby charlesp » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:48 am

I think I've seen this site before, but somebody reminded me of it on a podcast this week. www.750words.com It is a dead-simple "digital version" of the Morning Pages concept. Basically you sign-up (or just sign in using google/facebook/etc) and can configure it to e-mail you every morning (or not) to remind you... but all you do is go there, type 750 words into the big box and leave. You can get stuff out via cut and paste at least, or maybe export if you end up with something "good". But the idea is just to get the fingers moving.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:30 pm

I don't have a problem getting my fingers to move. It's my brain that seems to be in lockdown.
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Well, the hypothesis being that if you get the fingers moving your brain will have an easier time doing the same.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:33 pm

FWIW I'm at day 16, and while almost none of it has been fiction, I've hit my 750 goal every day at least. Most of it has been in the "I don't know what I think until I hear myself say it" sort of stuff, but I certainly think it has had SOME value in at least helping form thoughts/opinions/ideas/etc into more coherent ones. For the month of May I plan on simply setting myself a subject for the day and riffing on a theme. June may get me back to some fiction (or maybe one day a week will be fiction in May)... As these are primarily serving the purpose of "Morning Pages" (is that from the Artist Way?) I don't have to have anything salvageable out of them, but I think when the month is over I'll be able to export them out as text and extract a handful of blog posts if nothing else.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 am

I've crossed the 20K word mark (and am on day 27 in a row now?) and while it hasn't been fiction, it has been useful in terms of linguistic dexterity and organization of mental processing such that I've got the beginnings of at least half a dozen essays I can flesh out and edit.

I'm signed up for the "May Challenge" to do it every day of May as well so that by the end of May I'll be up to two full months of this and hopefully it will be a *habit* by then. I'm still trying to treat these first two months as unstructured and just re-building the habit of intentionally putting words to page on a daily basis in the same way as one might improve ones health and diet simply by tracking what they're eating and not making an all out effort to make huge dietary changes. Once that habit is back in place I'll work through the process of gradually introducing a little structure as possible... till now it's just playing musical scales and not playing any songs.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed May 25, 2011 9:26 am

I'm most of the way through the May challenge (though I haven't written yet today), and have found some interesting things about my writing process.

A) fiction takes time. When I've tried to do a "fiction" day I've still hit my mark, but I slow down to 25-30wpm and it takes me 25 minutes to get finished with the daily word count.

B) When I have a subject I've done a fair bit of thinking on for a time and have a basic level of knowledge on I can move pretty well. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to hit my mark (at about 45-50wpm) on those days and those are the most common days. It has served more as a thought journal than a writing exercise, except that I am getting thoughts put into complete sentences and paragraphs instead of just raw emotion.

C) A good rant can flat out fly. I've had a few times I've gone into it in a mood for a rant, or just an impassioned discourse, and knocked out my words in 10-12 minutes (in the 60-70wpm range).

I will admit that back when I was doing more coding for my websites like Wordtrip I had the thought of doing something similar to this and just turning off the forums every other day... I may still do that at some point (or see about working together with the 750 words developer to somehow to integrate his system into our site).

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Good going, Charles. I wrote a poem a day for NaPoMo...but then, I write at least one a day anyway. lol
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:55 pm

...lol... you write a poem every hour, mlou!! :)
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm on 77 days in a row now... only a couple have been fiction-y, but I've gotten quite a few good thoughts processed (what's the saying? How will I know what I think until I see what I write?).

LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:25 pm

"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

Maybe.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Something like that, though I might have in mind E. M. Forster “How can I know what I think before I say it?” (though I think that's a paraphrase too)... there's also a piece "I Never Know What I Think Until I See What I Say" - Saul Bellow.

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:08 am

It seems every quotation has a predecessor which has a predecessor...etc. etc. Another quote..there's nothing new under the sun. :)

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm on 114 days of 750 words. I've still only a handful of fiction days, but nearly 90K words of... something. If you want a fair example of what my writing for a day usually looks like check out my Stories+Inactivity and Alas poor Borders posts from today. Sometimes the full 750 is a riff on a single subject, sometimes I do a few hundred words on one thing and a few hundred on another (like those two), sometimes it's about work, sometimes politics or philosophy, but those are fair examples of my tone and style.

It seems I'm doing little more than the literary equivalent of playing scales over there, but I'm getting fairly good at those scales. Perhaps I'll start playing Mary Had a Little Lamb soon or perhaps I'll just continue to use it to stay in tune with my linguistic heritage and as a means of organizing my thoughts du jour.

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:25 am

Keep at it...it keeps the brain turning over! :)

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Just think of those 750 words as an extended warm-up for when you sit down to write something longer. Whether it's fiction or not your brain will know how to gear up and get going when you really need it to.
Is this my reality or yours?

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”