Dr Who (on being an artist)

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Dr Who (on being an artist)

Postby charlesp » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:34 pm

I've no idea if anybody else around here has been watching the new Dr Who series, but I recently re-watched the episode from a few weeks ago where The Doctor and Amy go visit Vincent Van Gogh. There is a brilliance to the last 5-10 minutes of that episode (which I won't spoil here, but it may get spoiled in the replies) that I think every struggling artist (including writers) should see. I think it was a fine example of seeing that a "real" artist was doing the writing, because they nail something about what goes on in our heads (or at least I suspect goes on in a lot of our heads) so brilliantly.

If you're not into the sci-fi genre it might be tough to sit through the first 50 minutes of the episode, but I highly recommend watching it all the way through even if you're not a fan of "The Doctor."

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Is it shown on BBC? Maybe I can catch the episode on Hulu or somewhere. Do you remember the title of the episdoe?
Is this my reality or yours?

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”