Psst...HOTEL is now on sale!

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:45 am

It was a standard-sized parasol, with koi printed on it. Not as colorful as I'd imagined in the book, but about as close as I could find. :)

The funny thing is, we don't have a Costco here in Great Falls, so I haven't seen this article first-hand yet. I guess that's what happens when you live off the grid. I finally found it online this weekend. I'm a Costco member, though the nearest one is in Helena.

Timber, I'd be happy to sign a book if you wanted to send one my way. I'm afraid the closest I'm gonna get to Jersey is Milwaukee, at least on this leg of book tour travels...
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.
http://www.jamieford.com
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:55 pm

Going to see if my local Barnes and Nobles has a copy. Looking forward to the read.
"Why don't I ever listen to me?"
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:29 pm

Can't wait to pickup a copy.

btw, there are many lovely, literature-loving cities east of the Mississippi. As a matter of fact, my hometown does a couple of "community reads" per year (community reads=mass copies in local bookstores and libraries, hint, hint). These culminate with a visit from the author.

The current community read is "How Starbucks Saved my Life" by Michael Gates Gill, which I found a bit boring;however, I loved Lief Enger's "Peace Like a River", one of last year's selections.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
Olsenpotter
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Olsenpotter » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:57 am

I just got my copy. I can't wait to start reading it.
I'll leave you a note in the freezer.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Amazon delivery just came! I will not be stopping work for the day to read the book (just seems a bad idea in this economy and working in the banking industry).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Jamie... 9th grade prom? Hmmm... I was in Cle Elum Washington at the time. You know the place... the little town connected to Roslyn where they filmed Northern Exposure. A very lively place indeed... or not. :shock: :wink:
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:29 pm

I've actually been to Cle Elum...and other funky places like Sequim, Enumclaw, Puyallup...I love those names...
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:42 am

Well, I managed to wait until I got home, and then made food for the family, and then got the little ones to bed... before I got to sit down and read for about 10 minutes before the next crisis happened. So, I'm only a couple chapters into it, but it's good stuff.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:50 pm

I went to Hastings here but it wasn't in stock... but of course there is the option to order. :)

I lived in Puyallup for 4 years... :D
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:05 pm

Went to B&N tonight. Wasn't predominately displayed. ( :( ) and there was only one copy (but maybe that means the other 100 have sold! :) )

Mrs. Mudge was watching Scooter play with the toy trains in the kiddie section, so I handed her the book whilst I wandered about. Her reaction:

"Well, now we HAVE to order it: I read the first chapter and a half and now I want to read the rest."

There's your first unsolicited review, boyo.

Well, maybe not FIRST ... but still ...
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
LinRobinson
Master Tripper

Postby LinRobinson » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:17 pm

I have started putting that all together and an alarming picture is emerging.
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:22 am

Jamie, I was in Village Books on Saturday and I talked to Nan, who puts together the "events." She is excited about your book!

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Happy to get my copy at Costco while buying a 40 oz. bag of Starbucks French Roast. Happier still that it cost $13.09, not the list cover price. Hope that doesn't stiff you on royalties, Jamie.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:15 pm

I think we have a winner on price! (May need to run to costco to pick up a couple copies for friends now).

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Mostly finished... listening to the last few chapters on audiobook at my desk at work (and some on the drive in)... What a frigging great book.

GabrielGadfly
Wordtripper

Postby GabrielGadfly » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:13 pm

Congratulations. :)
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:43 am

Well, I went to Jamie's book event tonight. It was great to meet him and his sweet wife Leisha (I'm not sure how to spell her name). He read a teeny bit of his book and the rest of the approx. 1 1/2 hours was devoted to his taking and answering questions from the audience.

Very nice couple - and he looks much younger in person. Did you know he has 19 children? Well, maybe not 19 - but several! And since several of them are teen-agers, I'm sure it seems like 19 sometimes!

mae

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:29 am

I'm sure you got your signed copy. Did you get any pictures?
Is this my reality or yours?
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Oh good grief! ](*,) I didn't even think of taking pictures! Sorry, guys.

mae

Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Hey Mae! It was so cool to meet you in person. Yep, it does feel like 19 kids on any given day. I remember when I had 2...that seemed manageable. Once we got to 3, things got dicey. With 2, you can go man-to-man, but with 3+, you need to switch to a zone... :)

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Amen! That 3rd kid is just exponentially more work (and in our case she's just exponentially more trouble than both her big brothers combined).

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:36 am

Hey, Jamie, you did a great job at your "event". I haven't started your book yet - been a busy week-end. And, like I said I would, I want everybody to know I PAID FULL PRICE for his book!

And, yeah, the third kid increases the "work" (read worry) load more than you'd expect for one kid, but then the fourth, fifth, and (in Jamie's case) sixth don't seem like as much work. Still a lot, but not as much as you'd think - or maybe it's just because you've figured out that most of "it" doesn't really matter, anyway!

mae

timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:22 am

Jamie, if you don't mind, I'd like to give Hotel a positive crit on Amazon and the library blog of Grinnell College, my alma mater. Something that focuses on the tags that seem to jump out at me: "All the ingredients of a must-read book: Adolescent infatuation of Chinese boy for Japnese girl in 1940s Seattle, reflection on what's been lost years later, magnificent time capsule of the period and place."

By the way, I still have those ration cards and tokens.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Hotel gets a nod (and some links) in the weekly e-mail from Borders I received this morning (which has bumped it up to #250 on amazon and #561 on bn.com today... not the bump to #102 on amazon it got when Jamie's NPR interview hit, but nothing to sneeze at either).

Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:49 am

Timber--positive crit away! Thanks! And I recently bought a set of ration cards from an antique store. They were such an interesting piece of history, I couldn't pass 'em up.

Also had a nice lil' blurb in USA Today and the New York Times, both on Thursday!

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”