Psst...HOTEL is now on sale!

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:07 am

Ha, sounds like a plan.
"Why don't I ever listen to me?"
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:10 pm

I read Hotel in two afternoons and enjoyed every moment. There were only two copies in the local B&N on the day I bought mine and this week I was thrilled to see a copy at the local public library.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Sweet. My own local library only had one copy, so I gave them another and an audio book. Weird to log-on and see a wait list...whodathunkit?
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.
http://www.jamieford.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:33 am

My local library system had a dozen or so copies I believe, and a long wait list (last I checked it was at 40-60 people).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:19 pm

There was a write up in today Arizona Republic newspaper. Good job!
Is this my reality or yours?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu May 07, 2009 6:34 pm

FYI: I bought this for my mom for Mother's Day. It was on the regular shelves but a frontward facing display (instead of just the spine). They had several copies (B&N).
Is this my reality or yours?
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:21 pm

Just came back from Target ... "Hotel" is the "Book of the month", big display of the smaller paperback.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:13 pm

Jamie happens to be on tour (again), and I believe he'll be here in Atlanta in mid November (hopefully the publisher will leave him enough free time in the day for me to take him out for lunch or something). Check out his blog for tour info (as he's all over the country/planet).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:09 pm

Jamie, I finally got around to reading your book - don't know what took me so long.

I've got to say, I'll never feel the same about the Puyallup Fair again.

Very good book. I'm just thrilled at your success.

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks Mae--better late than never!

:)
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.

LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:38 pm

Today I talked someone into buying a copy, the proprietor of the bookstore added her endorsement as well. The bookstore is "Fireside Books" in Marshall, Michigan and they would be thrilled to host a book signing event for you.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:04 pm

Hey, Lilac...how wonderful to see you here! How about some poetry please???
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:09 pm

Thanks Lilac. :)

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Saw the paperback at the local Borders today... in the #9 spot. Haven't seen it in Target yet (because if you don't know... it's the next Target book club selection).

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Just got my "Random Reads" email from Random house and saw that Hotel is the book club selection of the month. Getting ready to go out of town, and I will pick it up. Can't wait to read it!!!
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Met PaulG at Jamie's event here in Atlanta last night... had dinner with Jamie and a great time, came home exhausted and woke up sick... been in bed all day, hoping whatever I have didn't get passed on (didn't know I was sick yesterday).

PaulG
Master Tripper

Postby PaulG » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:52 am

I had the pleasure of meeting both Jamie Ford and CharlesP the other night @ Jamie's speaking engagment here in the Atlanta metro area. It was a very nice event sponsored by The Blue Elephant book store (not a plug, I just get a kick out of their name). Jamie did a great job giving the attendees insights into how the book came together.

Charles, unfortunately the picture of the three of us did not come out well. We're all kind of blurry. Maybe whatever illness you have is of a digital nature and it affected my camera. :-D
...and every now & then I spend my time at rhyme & verse & curse those faults in me...- "Along Comes Mary"- The Association

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done."- Steven Wright
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:25 pm

The book has staying power. Good legs. And so nice to see it on the NYT best seller list. I'm passing it on to my 16-year-old granddaughter for her education. (The book, not the list.)
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:56 pm

Did you also meet his wife? I met the two of them when they were in Bellingham, WA. They are a really nice couple. (His wife told me he was "noble". That's not something you hear every day!)

Sorry to hear you're sick, Charles. Do you think it's this awful flu?

mae

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Alas, his wife wasn't on this leg of the tour, but I got to meet her kid sister who goes to UGA. Jamie, his Sister in law, and her friend and I all went out for milkshakes after the event... two dads and two college girls (wow I felt old). I then gave Jamie a ride back to the posh hotel the publisher had put him up in and had great fun freaking out the valets as I pulled my mini-van between a Ferrari and a Bentley.

I was out of commission for a couple days with whatever virus it was, but as my kids got sick after I did (well the boys were sick before me, but the middle kid and the little girl got sick-er after I got ill) and we took THEM to the doctor and they tested negative for the flu I guess it was just some other bug floating around.

The Hotel paperback has been on the NYT list for 5-6 weeks now, and apparently (not sure if it's PB or HB or both) has gone to its 11th printing...

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:45 pm

charlesp wrote: had great fun freaking out the valets as I pulled my mini-van between a Ferrari and a Bentley.

*giggle*

mae

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”