Twitter

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun May 10, 2009 2:32 pm

Well, I finally ventured on to Twitter to check out a couple of people's pages (friends here and elsewhere) and I have to say it was boring. Who cares what you people do all day long? And the self promotion by celebrities (on their twitter and other people's twitter) was cringe worthy. My life isn't that important that I think everybody needs to know what I'm doing every moment of the day. And if I ever got to the point that all I wanted to do with pimp my life, please someone shot me.

$.02 given
Is this my reality or yours?
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun May 10, 2009 3:40 pm

pimp my life...good one...I use these networks to "pimp my photography/stories" when I use them...although I was surprised at how many "blast from the past" find you on these things...as for my daily life--no one would be interested in that, I'm not...so if I ever get my twitter off the ground don't expect it to be a "Lifelog" unless I want to put ya'll to sleep..hey wait I have a scathingly brilliant idea...I can't bore you into a sleep state and steal all your money and power! I can be the next "Brain" and rule the world.... :shock: :twisted:
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:25 pm

1. It's about networking. I cannot begin to describe the industry people and fellow hockey bloggers I've networked with on Twitter. That's very valuable.

2. For some people it may be about pimping life, but it's also about pimping your work. Writers need to pimp their work, especially in today's economy and with the state of the publishing industry.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to post some more about pie to annoy CP.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed May 13, 2009 10:23 am

I see no difference with "networking" with people on hockey forums than twitter . . . other than the fact that you can say more things and aren't restricted to a word count. Sometimes that's got to be detrimental.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed May 13, 2009 7:40 pm

If you want a good example for a writer pengwenn, check Jamie's he does a good job of talking about his book tour stuff, and work in progress, and dealing with the agent/editor process. It's the sort of update that works for friends who want to know what he's up to, and a "behind the curtain" sort of thing for fans who just saw him at a book signing.

There are a few purposes for twitter to consider:
1) micro-blogging. What you're doing, etc.
2) networking. Journalists, Technologists, and writers/agents/publishers do this best because those are the segments that seem to have the best saturation (if I keep up with a handful of agents and occasionally converse with them about things that's sort of like an ongoing conference where your name becomes "known" and you get that foot in the door).
3) news. There are some great breaking news sources if that's your thing. My favorite example was when the ISS had to evacuate to their escape pod due to some debris approaching. The event was almost over before it was covered on news stations, but on twitter there was great communication and updates in real-time. Likewise it was twitter where Nasa first announced the water found on mars.
4) celebrity worship. I hate this reason, but it's there. Oprah, Ashton Kutcher, etc are here... for more interesting lesser celebs there are wil wheaton, brent spiner, Levar Burton, and at least one member of the cast of Red Dwarf to go with the Neil Gaiman's of the literary world.
5) jokes. This is the BEST reason... the running commentary/jokes from the smartass kids from the back of the classroom.

xcheck, any others?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:13 pm

I think you've got it all covered.

I have a work account that falls a little into 1, 2 and 3. I break news via that account, especially when I'm not in a position to write a full article. I can update things as they happen too. I also let people know what I'm doing and where I am (we have no office, so knowing where I am is important). And I network with readers.
Behind the Press

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu May 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Well, as a writer, I’m repulsed by the fact that our society now communicates via sound bites.

(And even more repulsed because that comment could fit on twitter.)

(And that one too.)

:roll:
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu May 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Think of it less as sound bites, and more as haiku (or in the case of humor tweets, one-liners ZING!).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu May 14, 2009 7:40 pm

A bit of a look at being a modern author and using "new media":
http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2009/05/1 ... ips-on-pr/

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:17 pm

There's this story about branding yourself too:
http://personalbrandingblog.com/tweetin ... nal-brand/
Behind the Press

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri May 15, 2009 9:51 am

I understand the "branding" and "marketing" side of Twitter and I know every bit is helpful in that respect, but if you've got nothing to "brand" or "market" then what's the point? And THAT is what I'm seeing a lot on Twitter right now.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu May 21, 2009 10:53 am

Frankly, I'm with Pengy: what it is doing is helping to reduce language and communication to the lowest common denominator -- as does the mentioned "one line zingers:" watch a modern alleged "sit com" and what you find is mostly wise cracks flinging back and forth faster than a ping-pong ball ... quips that are far too clever and abundant to have ACTUALLY been thought up that quickly and that perfectly. Seriously--when was the last time you thought of JUST the thing you needed to say, at JUST the moment you needed to say it? These guys do it non-stop for an hour.

But then go back and watch a show where the COMEDY actually came out of the SITUATION: Andy Griffith is the gold standard, but The Dick Van Dyke show? The Jack Benny Show? M*A*S*H? Those shows HAVE zingers, but the zingers worked because you knew the characters, you knew the background you knew the situation ... more than just knowing that its a show about a bunch of people who sit around and talk to each other since they apparently don't work and have all the time in the world even though they live in apartments that have a monthly rent of what most of us earn in a year ...

OK, enough ranting. I feel the same way about texting though, if you must know.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu May 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Sometimes I wonder if words, as we know them, are becoming obsolete. I mean we now communicate via IMHO, LOL, BBF and :D :cry: :oops: and :roll: . And I don't think it is as recent an event as you think. Here's an experience. Watch the prequel Star Wars trilogy. Then watch the original Star Wars trilogy. Not getting into which ones were better, I bet you'll say "man they sure did talk alot in the original movies". I watch The Phantom Menace and A New Hope back to back one night and about 30 minutes into ANH I yelled at the screen "Would you just stop talking and get to the action already." Not my finest moment, especially as a Star Wars fan. Our movies have been reduced to explosions and special effects. Our communications have been reduced to a string of capital letters and smiley faces.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu May 21, 2009 5:44 pm

That was an exceptional case, too: Lines like "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it? " or "Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board." had the actors practically stumbling over themselves and fighting back laughter. What works on paper doesn't always work on screen.

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu May 21, 2009 6:13 pm

You know... I just read "1984" two months ago (for the first time) and then picked up my copy of "Brave New World" and you guys are really freaking me out now. :shock:
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:40 pm

Some argue Twitter can help writing:
http://floridawriters.wordpress.com/200 ... er-writer/

And I agree with it. There were writers like Hemingway who were careful with their word choice. That's what something like Twitter forces you to do. It's like what I tell my media writing students when we do broadcast writing. You only have 20-30 seconds to get your message across. Choose your words carefully.
Behind the Press

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Yeah, X, 'cause that's what everyone is thinking when they Twitter: "Hmmm ... how can most accurately express myself in as few words as possible ... ?"

Besides, that is not the point: the POINT is, society is driving us to the point where we DO only have 20 seconds or less to get an entire complicated message across. Soundbites are NOT reality ... but that is what we are being forced into, and Twitter is leading the lemmings to the cliff, laughing.

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:20 pm

You're focusing on charles' need to laugh at the things that get posted on Twitter. There are some thoughtful, deep things that get posted on there too. And some good discussions too.

David Pogue, who I adore, is on Twitter. He didn't get it at first. He hated it. And he's since embraced it because of the things people told him on Twitter. He's doing a book based on things tell him, in fact. Here's his Twitter profile:
http://twitter.com/Pogue/
Behind the Press

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri May 22, 2009 5:32 am

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri May 22, 2009 10:17 am

TheMudge wrote:Yeah, X, 'cause that's what everyone is thinking when they Twitter: "Hmmm ... how can most accurately express myself in as few words as possible ... ?"

Besides, that is not the point: the POINT is, society is driving us to the point where we DO only have 20 seconds or less to get an entire complicated message across. Soundbites are NOT reality ... but that is what we are being forced into, and Twitter is leading the lemmings to the cliff, laughing.

I can't believe I whole-heartily agree with Mudge 100%. :shock:
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri May 22, 2009 1:55 pm

lol....some one agrees 100% w/ Mudge :lol:
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri May 22, 2009 6:04 pm

squeek squeek, or cheep cheep.. what the f#$% sound do Lemmings make when laughing anyway? (they're rodents so I'm going with a stereotypical squeek).

Do most of the people on twitter actually think about trying to express themselves in 140 characters? but then again neither do most of the people here diligently write and pursue publication of their Pulitzer destined novels, nor all musicians practice for Carnegie hall. Though that doesn't negate that SOME people do use it as a means of playing with the art of brevity and economy of words in much the way that some "practice" using Haiku. Twitter is, like many things, a tool, a means, not an end.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sat May 23, 2009 4:22 pm

Well, I wouldn't want all my dating experience to be "speed dating" nor do I want all my communication to be "tweets".
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat May 23, 2009 8:43 pm

charlesp wrote:Twitter is, like many things, a tool, a means, not an end.

But, as your article points out, most tweets are something inane like "I'm waiting." Which to me translates to something like "I am so bored with myself that I cannot go 3 minutes without having to pretend to do something that I can feel is relevant ... if I don't I might cease to exist."

It's the DMV folks: NOT waiting is a sign of the antichrist. Take a sodding book, fer cryin' out loud. Meditate (yes, it can be done). Do jumping jacks. Start a bloody CONVERSATION with someone sitting NEXT to you, instead of wasting your time flipping off the anonymous world with your pointless mewling.

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun May 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Here! Here! :rock:

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”