Freelancing

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Freelancing

Postby xcheck24 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:15 pm

This is a new world to me in some ways. I technically was a freelancer a year ago, but now I'm going to have to do more of it than I did before.

(i quit the full-time job in favor of freelancing while I search for a new full-time job)

So I'm sure there are others here with freelance experience. Want to give this newb some tips.

And I know there has to be at least one person here with some tips *cough*mudge*cough*
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu May 01, 2008 8:33 pm

*looks about innocently* Who, me?

Tips: Get the job, DO the job, DO the follow-up, and do it a week before it is due.

Dealing with freelancers now, and that is my number one complaint: you give them a job, and then you call them a week later, and it's like Yeah, I'm working on that!

One programmer is all Oh, I've been waiting on the copywriter! She sent me files and I couldn't open them! So I call the copywriter (whom I trust more than the programmer) and she's like YEAH ... I sent him the files THREE WEEKS ago, and TONIGHT I got a note back "I just tried and these wouldn't open!"

Companies sub work to freelancers for one reason: we haven't got the time. If we had the time to BABYSIT you, we would have the time to DO THE JOB!

You produce work quick, you don't make excuses, you follow through and do what you say you'll do ... word of that gets out, people will be calling you.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun May 04, 2008 10:22 pm

you're deadline oriented, right xc?

Freelancing means hustling you ask-me-no-questions off(grin), but mudge is right, the worst thing you can do is be late and late really means "On-time" lol (my rule of thumb is to cut the deadline by 3 days so have the piece in EARLY).

The other thing you should really follow are submission guidelines...more times than not, you will get kicked by simply overlooking a detail that is listed there.

Now, what type of freelancing are you focusing on? And where are you? There are plenty of requests for submissions for "Happenings" pieces if you're in a city like Boston?

Are there any past connections you can utilize? You know a secretary at a publication you were friendly w/?

For Fiction: You can always try something like the Christian Science Monitor; funds for writers has a decent listing.
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:07 am

I have some past connections lined up, including my old job, and one new one. :)
Behind the Press

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon May 05, 2008 10:09 am

Those are your best resources, really. And you know for yourself, from being in the biz, that you will respond much more quickly to someone who you feel like can HELP you than someone you feel like is begging ...
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
dee
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby dee » Mon May 26, 2008 9:18 am

Ok so what do you guys think of this? Does this type of thing seem helpful? I'm always leary of things like this, but I want it to be real. It seems to good to be true.

http://www.easywritingbiz.com/?hop=andr ... sgod_DDFDA
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:23 am

Any time you have to pay for something for a quick way to learn how to do something and earn tons of money, I shy away from it.

There are plenty of free sites to get tips on freelancing and get acquainted with the process.
Behind the Press

dee

Postby dee » Mon May 26, 2008 9:30 am

That's true, but the time it takes to research all of it is what I was thinking of. Surely there must be an easier way. I was hoping it would do some good to have a condensed easy to find method of what works. I often feel like I'm shooting in the dark in my search.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:32 am

I understand that, but there's no "quick way" to do anything, including freelancing and working on the Web. I've been in the news media for almost a decade and I still have questions and it doesn't come easy.
Behind the Press

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon May 26, 2008 10:35 am

Dee,

that site is not going to show you an easy way to ferret out the sites looking for freelancers. It will tell you to look at sites like green iguana, funds for writers or buy a compendeum like those sold by wirter's market.

What it will have you paying for is writing advice, exactly how detailed depends on the site and the depth of the scam.

If you want this kind of advice and/or would like instructions in freelance on the internet that you are willing to pay for, you are better off looking at your local college (which lends more credability to the course) and will provide you with a more detail description of what you are getting for you money.

Also, many of those courses can give you credits, certificates which have value in the long run that paying for less on an internet site like the one you mentioned, won't.

Always remember the bottom line: Would you want that course/site etc listed on your resume/cv or bio when you are submitting a book proposal or soliciting a freelance position in a "cold call" letter?

(That doesn't mean you can't take things for fun, but I don't think that's what we are talking about here.)
dee

Postby dee » Mon May 26, 2008 10:57 am

The impression I got from reading it is it's just a downloadable ebook book with a lot of helpful hints. I was thinking of it in terms of reference material. Oh well.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:06 am

Eh, but you don't know for sure what sort of reference material you're getting. It's not like this is something you can flip through the pages and say "this has value to me." I'd be wary.

And Hiss does provide a helpful tip: If you're interested in this sort of thng, there are classes offered. Media Bistro offers classes (although I don't know how close you are to them) that are quite good. The Poynter Institute has a great site that offers online classes called NewsU. The best thing about NewsU is that, for the most part, the classes are free. And if they're not free, the cost is minimal.
Behind the Press

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon May 26, 2008 12:23 pm

Dee,

Many of the Ebooks out there offer very little for the money...not that all do but many are not worth spending your cash.
dee

Postby dee » Mon May 26, 2008 12:36 pm

ok thanks, ya'll :)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon May 26, 2008 12:49 pm

Hiss...I missed this topic til now but noted your reply about the Christian Science Monitor. Fiction?? I didn't know that! I write for the Home Forum page regularly but haven't seen anything about fiction. What's up?
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon May 26, 2008 1:04 pm

Got a note that they were looking for some....I will email it to you..thought you must already have it....(actually, I thought you had been why I got it)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon May 26, 2008 7:18 pm

Hmmmm...verrrry interrresssting! (I have my German helmet on.) :)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
fiona
Master Tripper

Postby fiona » Mon May 26, 2008 8:06 pm

EARNINGS/FORWARD LOOKING DISCLAIMER
This is too sentimental to be true.
Dee, try to get good advice from nice people, like Senior Wordtrippers; share a walk with the inexperienced ones -there is always something to learn from the inexperienced - and take your own trip. :-P
Ah! Be aware of bullies from other forums and people who try to gain advantage of your inexperience. It may sound gloomy, but vultures have multiplied in the Internet (they reproduce by osmosis and with a little help from their friends).
Good luck, dee! :-P
Know me by what I did today.
fiona
Master Tripper

Postby fiona » Tue May 27, 2008 8:25 pm

By the way, has anyone tried fanstory.com?
You're welcome beforeand. :-P
Know me by what I did today.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”