Submission Tracker and Market Finder

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Submission Tracker and Market Finder

Postby timberline » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:56 am

Trusting that most Wordtrippers submit some of their work to print and electronic publications, one of the most important things you can do is track what you've submitted, when it went out, when it was acknowledged, and whether there was an acceptance or rejection.

For two years, I filled out pages in a ring binder with this data, and then I found Duotrope Digest (http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx). Duotrope introduced me to new markets tailored to what I was writing, let me track what went out to publishers (and came back), and sent 'round a free e-mail newsletter every Saturday notifying me of contests and changes in markets. Best of all, it's free. Like most e-publishers, it also needs a donation now and then, which I'm happy to oblige as my "subscription fee to success."

Duotrope is like Ralan.com, another great market site. Look them both up. As my Mom said, "Get organized."
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:47 pm

Amen. Duotrope is a GREAT resource. I don't actually submit my stuff (largely because I never finish anything, but that's another thread), but I have donated to Duotrope a time or two over the last couple years because I want them to be around when I DO submit something.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:13 am

Timb...this is worth a bump up on the boards....I've just started with them...oh and prior to that, I tracked submission on an excel program... 8) still do..can't help myself.
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
dee
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby dee » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:29 am

Yep this is great. I definitely need to get organized. I've used them to search for markets but I haven't signed up yet. Market research is just as time consuming as writing, and I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks for posting this. I think I'll go sign up right now.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”