WHERE do you find your writing ideas?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:07 pm

CycoMerlin14 wrote:I find them after drinking a chocolate brownie frap., and spending a few hours in Barnes and Noble.

But once I get home, I lose all the ideas.

I should bring a notebook there next time.

*smacks past self upside his head*

Sighs... the important thing is that I observe careless details and take notes on small things, whether mentally or with a pen and paper. I am especially inspired by certain songs, especially by the music of Sigur Ros. Otherwise I'm waiting for inspiration, and it comes...
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:34 pm

Uh, I dunno...I seem to just pull a lot of mine out of nowhere in particular.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:33 pm

I get a picture in my head, just a snapshot of a character or a living thing that I've never met before and then I find out what they do.
The thing that I find amazing is that unless I get into the chair and show some discipline (there's that word again) it just stays a snapshot and doesn't even get interesting, but if I start typing it makes a story.
I wonder how inspiration works for musicians and painters.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”