Article on "crucibles" (problems in stories)

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Article on "crucibles" (problems in stories)

Postby charlesp » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:05 am

Interesting thoughts on the crucible/problems in stories. The author discusses how the best stories give the protagonist limited ways of getting out of the problem.
http://davidisaak.blogspot.com/2008/02/ ... ems-i.html

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:03 pm

Nicely put definition. My narrative writing prof called it "circumscription of space"--the Lifeboat or Poseiden situation.

I always liked Jamie Ford's definitilon of taut writing. Start with a beginning and end and find the most horrible situation you can put your protagonist in.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:42 pm

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”