Nabokov wants final unfinished work destroyed

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Nabokov wants final unfinished work destroyed

Postby pengwenn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:53 am

Nabokov wants final unfinished work destroyed. Do you agree with this? What do you think?
Is this my reality or yours?
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:33 pm

Is it his work?
"There is no intergalactic plot to keep you from being published."

"So stop whining and get on with it."
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:51 am

This is a fascinating question, and I'm torn between yes and no. A writer's--or artist's or composer's--less successful work is often as instructive as his/her best. I thought the other day of all the crap that's on my hard drive and what my family would find if Iwent under the wheels of a truck.

I'm all for letting everything remain for posterity. My heirs will decide, according to their own sensibilities, what survives. However, I've inculcated in them a healthy sense that their forebears have achieved a kind of immortality--with all their warts and wrinkles--by my posting their diaries and lectures and pictures on a variety of Web sites.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:03 am

I dunno.... I guess to keep the story from possibly being completed by someone who has no idea how he wanted it to be finished, it would make sense to destroy it.

On the other hand, that's a piece of your family history. I can see why it would be difficult to just set a match to it and let it burn.
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
pierangeli
Wordtripper

Postby pierangeli » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:39 pm

Smart man. My unfinished work is not worth buying. It's not instructive. It's self-indulgent.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”