How to write a decent novel in 2 months

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

How to write a decent novel in 2 months

Postby charlesp » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:50 pm

Nifty link on boing boing to this article on how to write a good novel in a short period of time. Interesting stuff.
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/01/16/ho ... ecent.html

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:09 am

LOL So where was this advice when I started writing my novella SIX AND A HALF years ago (it'll be seven next October - hopefully the first draft will be done by then!)

Interesting concepts, but I'm not sure I could pull off anything remotely resembling what I want to write in that short a time period, especially since real life keeps interfering with my writing. Last night I devoted three hours to my writing and it felt great, but usually I severely lack the time, especially during football season.
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:47 pm

Well, mine took me 2 years to write and 2 more to get published. That's too much but I don't think I could have done it in 2 months. And I'm afraid, Liz, that after 6 years I'd be sick and tired of the characters if I hadn't finished it by then. Guess I'm much more content with the "quick returns" of writing essays for the CSMonitor. Short and sweet and a yes or a no within a couple of weeks. Maybe I have a short attention span? :D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”