ideas for making a website for my writing

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

cherbo86
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

ideas for making a website for my writing

Postby cherbo86 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:50 pm

I need help and who better to get help from than other writers eh? I need advice on the best way to get a website for my writing. I dont really know anything about making one myself and dont have any one who can help me either here at home- so is there like a really simple and I mean SIMPLE way to create my own website? Any help is greatly appreciate! Thanks in advance!!
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

The road to hell is paved with adverbs.
Stephen King
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:37 pm

I'm sure others will chime in... and once they do (and I get a chance) I'll chime in with some ideas for you.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:57 pm

I think there are a few on WT who have or are starting their own sites as well. What are you trying to accomplish? You know... do you want it as a journal to list everything you've written or do you want it to show your progress?
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
cherbo86

Postby cherbo86 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:06 pm

Well, Hmm. I guess I am wanting it more for a journal aspect which I can share with others and so they can interact within the site- (Is this possible??) You know like leave comments etc. I really am not looking for it as far as advertising my work for sale or anything like that. (If this makes sense.) :shock:
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Stephen King
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:23 am

Have you considered a blog? I have one on blogspot.com but there are many sites around. You can organize it with lables so people can find particular stories, etc. and it's organized by the most recent entry.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:47 am

Hey, Cherbo, I'm no genius at this. Everytime I sit down on my cell phone my ass speed-dials my family, and the coffeepot has begun turning itself on at midnight. But I did sort my way through blogspot to cobble up something. Try it.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:00 am

holy crap, timber has a Web site. ;)

cherbo, i think the best thing for you would be a blog. There are plenty of free services, including blogger. Blogger tends to be one of the most popular free services I've seen around. WordPress also has a free blog option too, which i would also recommend. If you want to pay some money, you could go with Typepad (it's what we use at work, actually).

I'm most familiar with blogger, but it's pretty easy to set up and style how you want, even if you don't know any HTML.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:16 am

I have to agree, that if you're looking for a journal presence, and without a lot of technical know-how (or money to pay somebody with said know-how), blogger is a good option. Blogger/Blogspot is run by Google now, so it ties in with gmail accounts and all that as well, and if you've managed to get signed up and posting here, you can probably do a blog there.

If you want a good example of an author blog try www.jamieford.com . He's got the right mix of "my thoughts" and "my writing" to keep people coming back, while giving his writing a linkable/advertisable presence on-line.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:24 am

LifeJournal is another site for a blog. I have one there and on Blogspot. I've been thinking about doing away with my LiveJournal blog and moving it to another Blogspot blog. That way I only have one place to go to blog. You can have multiple blogs at blogspot. One each for different topics if you'd like.
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:43 am

FYI: LiveJournal is one of those throwback places that was around when blogging first came into its own a couple years back, but has largely fallen out of favor (probably for no good reason other than a fickle public). Most of the people using it have had their accounts for a long time. For what that information is worth.

You could also blog on Facebook and the like if you were so inclined... and then you get to be all hip and cool and social networky.

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:15 pm

i actually really like the www.blogger.com - and now that it ties into google as mentioned above, it's even better. i've been using it for my writing for a while now.

good luck!

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:34 pm

The reason I want to move my LiveJournal to Blogspot is Blogspot is easier for me to use 'cause I don't know html. Spell checking on LiveJournal is a pain in the tussy. I have friends on LiveJournal and in order to comment on their sites I had to join (no annonymous comments).
Is this my reality or yours?
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:45 pm

I would try making your own free webs page. Go to www.freewebs.com and get started.
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:28 pm

i dont like livejournal because it has too much of an amateur feeling to me in the way the pages look. but that's just me.
Behind the Press

There's always a bloody ghost.
Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:00 am

I use SquareSpace. Like Blogger, but a little more graphic friendly...for me anyway.
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.
http://www.jamieford.com
cherbo86

Postby cherbo86 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:18 pm

Wow! I was right! You guys were the perfect place to check for great information. Thanks everyone for all of the super ideas. I will check them all out and see which one would work best for my needs and let you know how it goes. :-D

Arthur Schopenhauer

Stephen King

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”