Inspiration

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Inspiration

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:34 am

Where does everyone draw their inspiration from? What motivates you to write? What gives you ideas?

I am having some MAJOR issues with inspiration. Not so much the ideas (although that's part of it), but more the NEED to write. I just don't feel it. At all. I don't feel like writing anything (outside of my job).

So I'm hoping this thread helps me out a bit!
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:40 pm

It depends upon what I'm writing FOR. Example, every year the National Grange (Patrons of Husbandry) has writing and art contests. One of the writing ones gives a different sentence or phrase each year, which you must use somewhere in the story. (Some of them are dumb. :( ) But anyway, I build on that. One year it was "When he/I got to the top of the mountain". I figured everyone would be writing about climbing mountains, so I wrote mine about a huge mountain of trash in a waste disposal place. :-D
Poetry is different. Sometimes it's just a word that intrigues me, which is why I like the word lists. Sometimes it's just looking out the window and seeing a bluejay. Or maybe a feeling about a situation or thing. I just entered the Thomas Merton Foundation competition. They wanted a poem which evoked the "sacred", in some way, not necessarily religious.
So it depends upon many things, I guess. Not very helpful, am I? :roll:
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
ksuprincess97
Master Tripper

Postby ksuprincess97 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:04 pm

Lately, my motivation has come from my husband. He's in the military and is overseas, but he still tries to call me at 6-7 a.m. my time to wake me up and get me moving.

I also find that bribing myself with a new cd works. Also coffee, chocolate, and red wine seem to help get me in the writing mood.
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:52 pm

I often get inspired by reading, especially poetry. Seeing someone else's ideas often make me wish to express my own opinions or spark some sort of idea for a different take on a situation.

I also have an "idea" buddy to bounce things off, we try to top each other with the wildest story ideas or give one another direction on works in progress. Our writing is very different, but that works in our favor when critting.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
amnicr44

Postby amnicr44 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:35 pm

music is a big inspiration to me. if i hear a song, i can usually picture things happening in my mind. after a while, a song will resonate with me so much that i find myself writing about it and making up a story based off a lyric from the song, or the entire song itself.

real life experiences inspire me too....
Dreamcatcher
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Dreamcatcher » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:07 am

I'm with amnicr44 - music is a major inspiration for me. My iTunes library is fairly extensive (over 2700 songs at last count), and I draw a lot of my inspiration from it. Inspiration also comes from the news, TV shows and movies.
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:33 am

I get inspiration from everything, everywhere.

I get motivation . . . well . . . I'm a little short of that right now. The NEED to write never goes away but I struggle sometimes to get myself in a frame of mind to write. When the internal editor comes front and center I don't get much of any writing done. To keep me from getting too depressed about it all I have WordTrip. This is a great place to keep things from going stagnant until my internal editor gets the hint and steps back into the shadows.
Last edited by pengwenn on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is this my reality or yours?
RichardLowry
Wordtripper

Postby RichardLowry » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:32 pm

I have a special motivation. I am on a mission to provide detailed accounts of America's sons and daughters at war. The men and women in uniform today are the best soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines to have served in our military. Their stories are truely amazing and they need to be documented for posterity.
Chairman
Wordtripper

Postby Chairman » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:57 am

Ten steps to motivate yourself:
1. Bang your head.
2. Go on wikipedia for an hour
3. Listen to music, especially those you love
4. Blindfold yourself, go to your room and pick up a book.
5. Tear waste paper.
6. Wait for a better time, and develop the plot in your mind.
7. Try something new for dinner.
8. Bang your head once more.
9. Go on Wordtrip
10...You'll surely be motivated if you read timberline's writing...k?
This space is intentionally left blank.

Chairman.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:35 am

Chairman wrote:2. Go on wikipedia for an hour

Courtesy of http://www.xkcd.com

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Madeline
Wordtripper

Postby Madeline » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Ah, but Charles, that's the best part of Wikipedia!:D:D:D

And my friends wonder where I come up with those random factoids...*grins*

Personally, inspiration comes randomly, often when I least expect it. I usually end up scribbling a note to myself on the back of my hand or something like that to help me remember. I've had so many great ideas disappear because the only thing I could recall about them later is that they had been great ideas.:roll: Which isn't much help.

Actually, reading books on writing has become a major source of those random flashes of inspiration recently. Does anyone else experience this?

Best wishes,
-Madeline
We don't need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do's and don'ts; we need books, time, and silence. "Thou shalt not" is soon forgotten, but "once upon a time" lasts forever.

-Philip Pullman
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:56 pm

No, I don't have time to read books on how to write. I'm too darned busy writing when I get the chance. :-D

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:51 am

I've found I have to take my laptop to a bookstore and plug in the headphones. If I stay home, I find myself doing everything but write. I'll surf the web, check emails...etc.

Before I actually write, I will read WD or The Writer magazine. That usually primes the pump. Sometimes I'll get on my website and add a blog. That will stimulate the muse too.

*Preemptive "Hello Everybody!" :-D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com
Location: Land of eternal sun, and magoes. Otherwise; Singapore.

Postby tipsytoe » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:25 am

Usually, I would go to Flickr, and just look at their most recent pictures. They say a picture speaks a thousand words. So sometimes, I will end up writing a prose from the image, or even a poem.

Real life experience helps too. A recent conversation, perhaps, could lead to an essay.
We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
- Orson Wells -
Chairman
Wordtripper

Postby Chairman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:35 am

charlesp wrote:
Chairman wrote:2. Go on wikipedia for an hour

Courtesy of http://www.xkcd.com

YARR...That's how you get inspiration.
This space is intentionally left blank.

Chairman.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:48 am

This thread actually got me thinking and helped me write a new blog related to the subject. Thank you. I guess that, in itself, shows that the muse can be triggered by websites just like this one. Thank you Wordtrip.

PS. Shameless plug for one of the best conferences I've ever been to. Its in Colorado. Visit PPWC.net. The conference is coming soon. Maybe I'll bump into one of you there.
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Inspiration

Postby Everlasting » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:09 pm

I find inspiration from the Scriptures. I look at life, and what the
current world situation is, and then I try to adapt a story line that
conveys the deepest feelings, and desires of people as a whole.
I think that writing more than one book at a time is okay. You
are inspired to write, based upon your experiences, and you
experience life every day. When I have started a novel that
have not completed, I am always mindful of it. When the
"spirit moves me", I am able to proceed fresh, and continue with
a new twist. My first novel is about to be published. The book is
on it's way to cover design. Moon Over Key Biscayne is a
Inspirational/Spiritual Science Fiction Novel. I think my approach
is unique, and hope the book will touch everyone in a special way.

Everlasting :)

Moon Over Key Biscayne
http://www.booksandmore.4t.com
Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:28 pm

Two days ago I was standing at the front door of the hotel where my INSPIRATION was lodged, but I did not have the least idea that it was there. As always, it and I live in different dimensions, but we often argue in the limbo where we meet as if we were bothered about each other. Can it be? I used to think inspiration was a green ray you saw in your dreams (somebody said that and I found it poetic). But it turned out to be the king of all my ghosts -and I am saying this with a lump in my throat. I wish I were able to change the present situation in order to make everything appear meaningful but I fail because I refuse to pretend to be what I am not. I wish I were able to be properly inspired in the right time. But I fail because an impending death or departure haunts my existence and mines my positive stance.
Dear Inspiration,
Look what I am. Do you still think I am worth your attention? Are you afraid of me? Are you fed up with my nothingness?
I am so sorry for all the thrill when I found you and all the anger when you made me eat mud.
"I think that in order to understand other people's suffering and distress one must have, among other things, a great imagination."

YOU ARE TO ME WHAT YOU CHOSE TO BE.
DMage
Wordtripper

Postby DMage » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:18 pm

If you're not inspired or motivated to write, maybe you just need to take a break for awhile. It's not a crime, ya know. :) I just retired from the Air Force - the equivalent of quitting your day job - and I'm now going to make Voidgunner for Writers, Spacesuits and Sixguns and a couple of other self-starting at-home ventures my living. All those jobs require writing, and I'm going to continue writing short fiction and novels.

Even with that workload, I don't write every day. I take my kids to the zoo or the lake, play Rummy 5000 with my wife (she routinely destroys me, but I always come back for more punishment), go to the mall, hang out, eat ice cream, read, watch corny movies on Lifetime ...

In other words, live. You have nothing to write about if you don't live. If you're not writing, maybe it's just because you're "filling the empty cup."

Allow me to get all Zen on you: If you are a writer, you are always writing. Not writing is still writing.

I think Stephen King called it "composting," but that makes me think of cows. I don't like cows. They scare me. :cry:
David Duggins
Voidgunner for Writers
Spacesuits and Sixguns Magazine
http://www.spacesuitsandsixguns.com
http://voidgunner.homestead.com
Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 pm

I don't have words to thank you for the advice. :)
I caught a flu in a cool pond yesterday (that was my break). I need to rest in silence for a while and I am sure this is not the end of my inspiration. I've been trying not to flirt with it but it always shows itself in the form of a vamp and vanishes whenever I want to feel it. I am a romantic, I know. Now I need some tea with honey and lemmon and maybe an aspirin. For the time being, I don't need anything else.

Allow me to get all Zen on you: If you are a writer, you are always writing. Not writing is still writing.

Yeah, I'll be writing in my dreams. :wink:
"I think that in order to understand other people's suffering and distress one must have, among other things, a great imagination."

YOU ARE TO ME WHAT YOU CHOSE TO BE.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:50 am

I say that just a little Zen
comes in handy now and then.
:-D

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:20 pm

DMage wrote:Allow me to get all Zen on you: If you are a writer, you are always writing. Not writing is still writing.

well, we reporters are always writing and rewriting our stories in our heads as we report, so I can get that.

I think Stephen King called it "composting," but that makes me think of cows. I don't like cows. They scare me. :cry:

ok, i have to ask. why are cows scary? :?
Behind the Press

DMage
Wordtripper

Postby DMage » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:19 pm

Actually, they're not. I was just kidding. :wink:
David Duggins

Voidgunner for Writers

Spacesuits and Sixguns Magazine

http://www.spacesuitsandsixguns.com

http://voidgunner.homestead.com
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:41 pm

I find inspiration from my girlfriends, especially my best friend...she is hysterical. For example, she emailed me this morning telling me how a girl she worked with had dated her ex-boyfriend, and had met him on a dating website. What's funny is we used to dog her ex-boyfriend about his hair and how long it took him to primp to go anywhere...and her co-worker is the exact same way. Maybe they met on hairmatch.com...reading her email...I thought there might be a nugget for a good short story there.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:13 pm

DMage wrote:Actually, they're not. I was just kidding. :wink:

damn. . .i would have loved to hear the theory on why cows are scary. oh well.
Behind the Press

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”