Dean Koontz on Daily Writing...

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Dean Koontz on Daily Writing...

Postby Anblick » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:55 pm

I was perusing Dean Koontz's site and found a 10 Questions page where he addresses "daily writing time" vs "daily wordcount":

Question #4
I read that you write seven days a week, ten hours per day. Is that true? As a new writer, I go more for word count rather than time. My current goal is 2,000 words each day, Monday through Friday. -Todd (who does 2,000 words a day but couldn't favor us with just one more word, so we'd know either his city or state.)

I get up at six each morning. If it's my turn to walk and brush the dog, I don't get to the keyboard until 8:00. If it's Gerda turn to walk and brush the dog, I'm working by 7:00. If it's the dog's turn to walk and brush both Gerda and me, I get to work somewhat later. I write through the day, until 5:00 or 6:00, without lunch because lunch is for sissies. I try to work only five days but usually end up at the keyboard for six, if not always for a full day on the sixth. If a deadline is fast approaching and I'm having trouble getting the end of the book right, I will go to seven days until it's done. Some days, those hours will leave me with 2,000 words; other days with 200. I'm afraid that aiming for a certain number of words each day would encourage me to bloat the story, like: The tall sad-looking awkward man in the handsome blue suit entered the enormous room and took a deep breath, very deep, almost too deep-Lordy, how deep!-and then let it out with a long sigh of poignant regret. I spend probably half my time revising to trim words, condense language, while enhancing the visual quality of the prose, so if a day gives me only 200 words but they're the right 200, I'm still happy.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:55 am

Well, he's got that right. Adjectives are the enemy, if used indiscriminately. There's always a better word that won't need one.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:16 pm

Yeah, I sometimes just run up my wordcounts for no reason.

Like I'll be thinking, "Don't really know what to say next. Hey, I can describe everyone's hair style."
Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”