How to write a novel

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

How to write a novel

Postby charlesp » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:00 am

good little (not so little) blog entry on how to write a novel... good prep for Nano
http://justinelarbalestier.com/blog/?p=398

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:23 pm

That was actually a funny entry on novel writing.
Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:53 am

Interesting read. I thought the spiel about outlining was interesting. I tend to start with a handful of key scenes, in addition to an intro and an ending. Then once I'm about 1/4 of the way in, I step back and outline everything, just for flow and pacing. I break from the outline all the time, but at least it gives me a base to work from.
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.
http://www.jamieford.com
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:18 pm

I'm a free-flowing writer myself. If I start imaging things that I want to heppen after the part I'm working on I take notes but it's not anything in an "outline" form. It's just:

- Maggie goes to grocery store, tips over oranges
- new dent in car when she leaves-black paint
- ticket for running stop sign hidden behind tree

If I do this hopefully I'll remember what/why I wanted those scenes when I get around to writing them. But I like the "explore as you go approach".
Is this my reality or yours?
Etto
Wordtripper

Postby Etto » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:55 pm

Pretty cool! It did start out a little tongue-in-cheek, but I really loved the spreadsheet idea. Don't know how it'll work for me, but just looking at that organized novelness made my muse happy.

The more I think about it, the more I love it. Copy and pasted it into a Word document (frothing rage is right, but it works!). It was funny, unexpected, and helpful! Thanks for the link, charlesp! :-D
"Digression is the soul of wit. Take the philosophic asides away from Dante, Milton or Hamlet's father's ghost and what stays is dry bones."
-- Ray Bradbury
cherbo86
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby cherbo86 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:12 am

Good article. Funny yet very informative.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

The road to hell is paved with adverbs.
Stephen King
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:21 pm

Enjoyed her takes on novel writing. I didn't know it was so inventive to use a spreadsheet. I made one for mine BUT on superwide paper, with the timeline as the main theme. That way I didn't end up with characters in 2 places at once, or doing something one day, when they couldn't have known about the incident that caused them to do it, until the NEXT day. Worked out pretty well...I hope. Until some reader somewhere calls my attention to a major boo-boo!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”