NaNoWriMo less than two months away!

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

NaNoWriMo less than two months away!

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:49 pm

www.nanowrimo.org

So, who is planning on subjecting them to the hell known as NaNo this year?

If you're not familiar with it, November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). People participate together in writing a COMPLETE novel of 50,000 words over the course of the month.

I've done it the last two years (with varying levels of unsuccess), but I haven't decided about this year. I don't have a clue on anything I would want to work on during that month. And I don't know if I have the energy to do it.

Anyone planning on doing it? Please let us know so we can cheer you on!
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:53 pm

I might throw my hat in the ring this year.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:26 pm

Definitely doing it again this year, but only if I can fix my computer in time... :(
ficlite
Wordtripper

Postby ficlite » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Great someone remembered . And I'm in. Not sure I'll get it . Are we doing a writing week to warm up? Cuse I guess Im up for that to ..
Life is short and the goal is to write read and eat chocolate often
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:40 pm

Yeah, we're probably going to do another writing week to warm up (I've got to get together some new articles for the writing week blog). We'll post an announcement for it soon.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:06 pm

are we going to have another writing week bet, charles? :D :D :D
Behind the Press

ficlite
Wordtripper

Postby ficlite » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:29 pm

Did I start somethig
Life is short and the goal is to write read and eat chocolate often
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:42 pm

xcheck24 wrote:are we going to have another writing week bet, charles? :D :D :D

hmmm... probably not... though if you don't have your thesis done by then I might have a shot if that's got your occupied :D. Maybe it should be duelling Juliol Franco avatars this time, one in Mets uniform, one in Braves :D

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:31 pm

I think the winner should get to PICK this time :lol:

my thesis has to be done by the end of september. so if writing week is in october, you wont have my thesis to keep me occupied. now the baseball playoffs and hockey are a different story :lol:
Behind the Press

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:40 am

well... it would only be hockey I'm pretty sure, as we'd do it the last week of October again... and it's unlikely baseball would interfere (the WS doesn't run into that last week of October does it?). So, without you having those distractions to even things up (I'll take my family over a thesis any day... but they DO require some extra time).... probably not.

Maybe I'll pester mudge to make up a simple little Writing Week Winner avatar for anybody who meets their goal.

PS: Thanks to ficlite for pointing me in the direction of some articles on creativity to help populate the writing week blog (heading to Borders on lunch break to see if I can find the magazine).

LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:02 am

I am tempted, challenges work well to goad me into action. But the thought of having to come up with 1,667 words per day when a thousand word short can take me days to complete is daunting. I would have to leave my editing OCD behind, talk about out of my comfort zone ... I would be on another planet.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:04 am

Actually, lilac, nano got me out of the editing as you go along thing two years ago.
Behind the Press

LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:07 am

That's great, X. If a month in the saddle can get rid of thirty-five years of ingrained behavior, I am in.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:28 am

I just might try (fear and trepidation in my voice/typing).
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:34 am

LilacWine wrote:That's great, X. If a month in the saddle can get rid of thirty-five years of ingrained behavior, I am in.

It wasn't that long of ingrained behavior for me, but I have the habit of editing while I write because of my job. When you write on deadline with editors breathing down your neck, you do it. And I still do it with my work. . .but not my non-work writing any more.
Behind the Press

LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:42 pm

I have a question. Is it within the rules to begin research before November? I did not see it addressed at their site.

~Pamela~
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:18 pm

research is OK, outlining is OK too I think... it's just the writing you can't do beforehand (though I'm personally more concerned with the end result of having a finished book than the rules to their specific game).

Looks like he's found a new way to make a few extra bucks on NaNo this year too.

LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:39 pm

Thank you, Charles. I am off to make a timeline of events in the lives of the Romantics. I am sure that will keep me occupied until November.

I have reserved "No Plot? No Problem" at the library, they only have three copies, I wonder how many times they will let me renew...

~Pamela~
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:42 pm

Some girls at my school started a club devoted to NaNo, which I will probably participate in b/c the president is co-editor of the literary magazine, which I am editor-in-chief of. So we give and take from one another.
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:55 pm

Hey, I was Essay editor and Music editor for my jr & sr years in high school for our literary magazine The Accolade. I really wanted to be one of the peotry editors my jr year but didn't get it. My sr year I wanted to be one of the short story editors and narrowly missed out on that. Needless to say we didn't have any music in the mag that year. :oops: A fellow student really inspired me to write short stories just before my senior year. I'd never traied it before. She was an excellent writer. Krista Ann Perry if you're out there THANKS!!!!!!
Is this my reality or yours?
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:18 pm

See music is definitely something my school's magazine needs. My old school added the music into theirs. Hey wait, I'm editor I can do whatever I want. :naughtygrin:
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

-Rita Mae Brown

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:45 pm

Where the heck are the high schools that have literary magazines??? My highs school was doing good to crank out a newspaper once a month. I did win three statewide awards for three of my articles. I would have loved to have a literary magazine at my high school. I'm jealous.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
Dreamcatcher
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Dreamcatcher » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:42 pm

I'm a sucker for punishment. Of course I'm doing it. :wink: I even managed to talk a couple of my friends into doing it with me. Should be interesting to see who finishes first.

It'll be hell next year, though. I'll be in the middle of my exams at the time, so it'll be a matter of making sure I hide the fact I'm working on my novel during those four/five weeks from my parents...
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:40 pm

bfsooner wrote:Where the heck are the high schools that have literary magazines??? My highs school was doing good to crank out a newspaper once a month. I did win three statewide awards for three of my articles. I would have loved to have a literary magazine at my high school. I'm jealous.

Well I'm lucky this new school I'm at has one b/c their budget is extremely low compared to my old school. It's pretty awesome though we have one.

-Rita Mae Brown

ksuprincess97
Master Tripper

Postby ksuprincess97 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:03 am

I'm so excited! Last year was my first time and I already have some ideas for this year. I'm in for sure!

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”