What reoccurring things do you have in your writing?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

What reoccurring things do you have in your writing?

Postby pengwenn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:47 am

Are there themes, people, objects, actions that reoccur in your writings from piece to piece. After this was brought up in Mudge's blog I started to think and take a look at my writing. Apparently I always have a character that doesn't want to say anything. It's hard to pull of the silent type with the written word, but I think I'm getting some good practice at it. :lol:
Is this my reality or yours?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:49 am

water. There's always a lot of water and water images in my stronger pieces of fiction and poetry.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:50 am

I have a lot of mother/daughter relationships in my writing as a broad theme.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:10 pm

As we mentioned in my blog, I tend to do stories of redemption. I also have a lot of flawed heroes--people who do the right thing for the wrong reason, for example.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:23 pm

I have identity issues, manifested in things like dual realities, characters with no names and others who hide their true name or identity and yet others who invent another life or self.
I also like to do literal takes on things like a man who buries his wife alive and writes "She is not Dead" on her headstone.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:18 pm

Eeeew! Lilac. :D
Mine is a technical recurrence. I use way too many....way, way, way too many...exclamation points. And have to go back and week out 90% of them. I wonder if I really talk like that and don't realize it.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:05 pm

If you want to get into the technical part I find that I use the word "that" way too much. Even that last sentence has it when it doesn't need it. That word just keeps popping up in my writing. :D
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:15 pm

I used to be the same way, gwenn. I would put in stories "Mayor John Smith said that. . ." and the "that" isn't needed. I was able to fix it, tho, by training myself.

I had a teacher in high school who wouldn't allow you to use the word "this" in a sentence. Then the editor who beat me down over "that." So my column for the paper? It was called "This and That." :lol:
Behind the Press

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:28 pm

From a technical standpoint...I really...really...like to use ellipses...if you can't tell from reading any of my posts on this board... :D I have to restrain from overusing them in my writing.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:36 pm

I use them a lot in posting on boards too, bf. But when it comes to writing I tend to overuse the DASH! -- -- -- hahahaha
Behind the Press

LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:27 pm

I will admit to a slight infatuation with semi-colons.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:59 pm

Aaaack, bf...you shouldn't have reminded me of ellipses! :D Here I have illustrated my two worst sins.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:30 pm

LilacWine wrote:I will admit to a slight infatuation with semi-colons.

how can you not with the thing winking at you all the time..... :D
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:26 pm

Dashes, ellipses, and tangents. I seem to have no organization when joining one thought with another.

And I love love love emphasizing my point by repeating a word over and over and over again.

And beginning my sentences with prepositions.

Also beginning new paragraphs with desperate "also's."

And italicizing words that I would say with more... emphasis.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:46 pm

Elipses... not than anybody would notice... :oops:
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:24 pm

I never... ever... use ellipses; it's against my... uh... beliefs? I also have about 400 Arabian Stallions in my back yard, if anyone is interested in making a purchase.

My stories have flawed characters... often a man who is a great hero, but unable to deal with some small thing from his past.

I usually include comic relief and/or light sarcasm because the seriousness behind the plot drives me nuts before too long.

I tend to create women characters who are at one extreme or the other... they are either strong and more intelligent than their male counterparts or they are weak and submissive; often times, they are both.

Since I write fantasy the most, I am constantly trying to come up with some new, never used before, special thing that is the main goal of the characters. So far, everything I can think of has been used: a ring, a wand, a crown, a necklace. Perhaps I need to create a special laptop computer as the prize? Probably already used though.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:11 pm

I tend to have unexpected endings/major twists that are believable for my stories...
Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:18 pm

The em dash––is my best friend.
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.
http://www.jamieford.com
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:37 am

The word "just" (just so you know) keeps creeping in, and then I just have to go back with a weed whacker just to cut the garbage.

And metaphors that run amok, sliding around in my head until they line up at my mouth for an orderly exit only to find my brain has already walked down a flight of stairs to get a beer and pizza.

I won't even speak of suffering the embarrassing tragedy of similes.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:48 pm

My nemesis is up. For instance stood up, sat up, and ran up instead of stand, sat, or ran. Sometimes I need to use it though, so I have to watch out when I cut it. As in:
He held up his hand.
He held his hand.
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:03 pm

My stories always have a character questioning his/her place in the world. It could just be a transition I am going through considering my role in society.
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:20 pm

I've heard, funky, that writers often write about their own life... or fantasies they have about what their life could be.

Maybe that's why one of my stories has a red headed woman desperate to overcome her villains in life while finding her super-powers turning her into a hero. But along the way, she does things I have often thought would be fun or irresponsible rather than keeping my feet on the ground... and STILL come out as the hero!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:59 pm

I have an overabundance of names that begin with C or K. My stories are full of Catherines, Christophers, Katrinas and Karls.

This, I think, is from my life. I know a lot of people with those kind of names.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
longfinkillie
Wordtripper

Postby longfinkillie » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:26 pm

I tend to kill off the protagonist. It's really frustrating when writing in my diary or an autobiography. It's almost a reflex. Right now I'm writing a "Guru book" for a lifecoach that's airing on PBS. My first instinct was to kill him off. Try doing that with a title like "Relax and Focus."
Foxes don't explode, rabbits do.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”