TV time

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

novicescribbler
Wordtripper

TV time

Postby novicescribbler » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:41 pm

Hi guys,
Do you find that TV interferes with your creative process.
TV consumes so much space in our lives, but that isn't the only reason I don't watch it. I find that if I watch TV then my creative side is drained. I can't daydream my story because that part of my brain has been used up. Sounds weird, I know. I know that if I watch a movie I am deciding not to have a productive writing time, which is ok if I'm doing drudge work, but not if I'm trying to come up with new or continuing stories. Which brings me to my favorite motivational saying:
HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:49 pm

you know, when I have the TV on it's typically for noise in the background. there are a couple shows i watch religiously (like rescue me) where I actually sit and watch. But most of the time it's just on in the background. even when one of my teams is playing, ESPECIALLY baseball. I'll look up when something cool happens, but I just typicall don't pay full attention.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
tearsonroses
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby tearsonroses » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:39 am

My brain seems to go through creative cycles. It goes through art (music, writing, drawing), academic (history, reading, school), and then anime and gaming; repeat. TV fits in there somewhere sometimes, but I usually (aside from anime) only watch Stargate and the occasional movie. The academic phase really shoots it down, but TV does not seem to affect my creativity, though I may not be getting a big enough dose.
Hope, Love, Dream
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:31 am

If there is a TV on somewhere in the vacinity, I can forget writing. I usually have to go somewhere else to write, somewhere out of the house entirely to make sure I don't get sucked into the boob tube. I am so addicted at times that even after I have flipped through the channels and found there is nothing good on, I will still surf with the remote because I'm sure that something good has come on one of the lower numbered channels while I was checking the higher numbered ones.

Is this the sign of a sickness? :shock:
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby bfsooner » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:39 pm

I live by myself, so my tv is constantly on so I don't feel so lonely. If I'm writing and really into my story, the channel is usually on a news channel. They usually don't interfere with the creative process. However, I do watch a lot of television. It's a nasty, nasty habit.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:40 pm

I'm starting to wonder if bf is an alternative version of myself that strangely runs marathons...
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:48 pm

It is uncanny.
Rebecca

cherbo86
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby cherbo86 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:20 pm

I find myself not turning the tv on at all any more and listening to the radio or a cd- I have to have some background noise on or it is distracting, and the tv just is a little too much at times but I have found music to be a great little companion. As far as tv goes I only watch two things really- ER when it is in season and not a re-run and (I hate to admit it) Deal or no deal, which by the way I went for an audition for the show, so we will see! :-D
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

The road to hell is paved with adverbs.
Stephen King
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:41 pm

Good luck with that!!! Hope you make it.
Rebecca

Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:43 am

If you get on, are you going to wear a Wordtrip t-shirt?
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby cherbo86 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:18 pm

Sure! Why not! Got to plug stuff one way or other- In fact they gave me a deal or no deal t-shirt so im plugging them huh? Yes, it was a long day but it was fun, Im sure it was a long shot but at least there is the smallest teensiest possibility that they may be extremely desperate and call. But i wont hold my breath!
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

Arthur Schopenhauer

The road to hell is paved with adverbs.

Stephen King
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:23 am

cherbo, you let me know if you make it and I'll gladly get you a Wordtrip shirt to wear if you don't already have one (though I'd bet they'd have some rule against logos on your clothes :-L). Hope you make it though.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:59 am

Congrats Cherbo, I hope it works out.

The problem that I have with TV is that I'm just going to watch one more show, no just one more, no just ... oh, it's too late to write. I have to go cold turkey or I'm addicted. Sad but true.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”