How do you keep life from interfering?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

How do you keep life from interfering?

Postby JillStar » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:50 am

How does everyone keep their personal life from interfering with the joy or task or goal of writing?
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:28 pm

I do my writing while my husband is sleeping and my son is at work. I draw the blinds so the dogs can't find things to bark at and take the phone off the hook. When something disrupts the schedule, I'm pretty much outta luck. I try to at least make notes if I get terrific ideas while I'm unable to get to the keyboard.

It would help if I was able to hand write, but a neurological injury prevents me holding a pen or anything for more than a couple of minutes.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:45 pm

I have a slight advantage since I am single with no bipedal children (I'm owned by a cat). I do like getting up early in the morning to write before I go to work. Also, I like writing at night. If my friends or family call when I'm writing, I just tell them that I'm busy and go back to writing.

It is difficult when I have a lot of family obligations, though and when I was focused on training for my marathon. However with that over, I am able to focus again. Hence, my participation in the Word Count Challenges again.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:03 pm

close door.
lock.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:20 pm

Unfortunately there is no way a teenager in high school can slow life b/c we have to keep going if we want a future. Unless I dropped out of school, but don't think the parents would approve.
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:58 pm

I don't. I've been busy lately. Writing has suffered.

Must get better at this.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
siggidam
Master Tripper

Postby siggidam » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:18 pm

impossible for me as well. i'm a stay at home mom of an autistic 5 year old monday thru friday and then i work retail on the weekends. my "spare time" consists of cooking dinner, doing laundry and sleeping. sadly, if i feel like crap (as i have lately) there's just no way i'll make the time to write.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:53 pm

Make your writing a part of the "life-interfering" part of your time. If you put it just above doing luandry on your To Do list and tell yourself you can't do the laundry until you've writtn for awhile then you might find some time. Of course you might end up wearing those old granny panties that you keep hidden in the bottom of your drawer in case of emergencies becase you didn't get the laundry down last night. :(
Is this my reality or yours?
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:09 pm

I do the opposite, if I finish a chore, I reward myself with time writing. One load of laundry = thirty minutes writing.
Last edited by LilacWine on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:10 pm

Hmmm.... maybe I should adopt that Lilac, I'd win some points with the Mrs and with three kids it should make sure I get my writing in for the week.

When I was on second shift I would do my writing late at night after everybody went to bed. Now that I have to get up at 5ish to get out of the door in time for carpool in the mornings I've yet to find my time to carve out for writing.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
evil_angel
Wordtripper

Postby evil_angel » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:16 pm

i write only after midnight cuz i have insomnia! so usually thats not a problem cuz every thing would be already quiet! and i dont see anyone!
sometimes if i stay away for like 04:00am i sit in the living room to write! since i drive my parents crazy when i stay awake and make noise with the stuff!
finally! i also listen to something rock or hard rock!
good and bad are possible!
bad is easy!
good is hard!
why do think i should suffer for for good since bad is cool!
http://cooljuniorwrite.createforum.net/
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:19 pm

pengwenn wrote:Of course you might end up wearing those old granny panties that you keep hidden in the bottom of your drawer in case of emergencies becase you didn't get the laundry down last night. :(

:shock: Get out of my drawers!!

Interesting the different ways people write... or don't write. When I hear about someone like siggidam and her situation, I think to myself "what's my excuse" cause I don't have one next to hers.

It has always been desire, prioritization, discipline and follow-through for me.

I have had the desire and the ability to prioritize... but then fall flat on discipline or follow-through. Unfortunately, if I don't see some fruit from my labors (ie discipline and follow-through) I end up losing the first thing... desire.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:36 pm

I try to plan it out while I'm doing "mindless" work. Picking blueberries, sorting laundry, scrubbing spots on the floor (never the whole floor if I can help it :-D ),
preparing vgbls for dinner...well, you get the idea. Then, I go in and get it into the computer at least roughly. But having the leisure of retirement, I'll admit I have more opportunity than most of you working folks.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:23 pm

I wanna pick blueberries. I love blueberries!!! :D
Rebecca

siggidam
Master Tripper

Postby siggidam » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:42 pm

jillstar wrote:Interesting the different ways people write... or don't write. When I hear about someone like siggidam and her situation, I think to myself "what's my excuse" cause I don't have one next to hers.

i probably just added that quote wrong, but thanks so much for saying that, jillstar. in the past i've had people tell me that my writing must not be important to me if i let daily life get in the way. i find that infuriating. sure, we all have to prioritize and hopefully writing gets tossed into the mix, but if it's a choice between something i want/enjoy doing or something for my son? there's no question. i chose to have him, he didn't choose a mother who writes.

i do always carry a notepad with me though. i write on my breaks at work if i'm channeling the muse and i always at the very least make time to jot notes for any new or ongoing story. i'm just one of those people who can't multitask. i'm incapable. so if i'm going to write i need silence (or at the very least no interruptions) and a good amount of time. 20 minutes before bed, as i yawn continuously wouldn't do me any good since i'd never remember or like what i'd come up with and trying to write while a 5 year old tries to read to you (the SAME book AGAIN) doesn't work either.

at any rate, thanks jill for understanding that just because writing isn't my first priority doesn't mean it's not important to me.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:08 pm

Hey, siggi...i thought that went without saying. :-D There is no ivory tower for 99% of writers. There's real life! We put first things first. Maybe an incredibly self-centered writer may set aside everything else but you have to wonder who suffers when he/she does. Do it your way, sig, and you'll do okay.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:13 pm

Sell your TV. Blockbuster doesn't exist. Don't read anything that isn't research for what you're working on. Forget the gym. Your dog doesn't need that walk. Automatic billpay is a good idea. Try to get all your work done at your day job finished by noon so you can write. Oh, yeah, and don't respond to questions on Wordtrip...
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.
http://www.jamieford.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Hey now! Though there IS some truth to what you've said... just don't forget that it's hard to have story fodder if you're not living a life (and if you're too ill to write you can't do much writing either).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Do we really want to read the stories written by those "ivory tower" authors. I think the lives we live breath...uh...life...into our stories. I know I didn't hardly write when my husband was very ill, and couldn't even think about writing after he died. But I am using those experiences now to enhance my writing. Look at Ms. Rowling for inspiration, she hardly had it easy when she wrote HP.
Rebecca

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:02 pm

charlesp wrote:Hey now! Though there IS some truth to what you've said... just don't forget that it's hard to have story fodder if you're not living a life (and if you're too ill to write you can't do much writing either).

which actually holds true for all writing, even journalism style.
Behind the Press

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:40 pm

siggidam wrote:at any rate, thanks jill for understanding that just because writing isn't my first priority doesn't mean it's not important to me.

Good point... I often beat myself up for not making writing high on my priority list, so much so that it ends up being put towards the bottom.

On the other hand, I COULD get rid of my tv... but seriously doubt that I will. The fact is, I am the one in control of what happens around me (mostly) and if I choose to write, I can find a way to do it. Right now I'm trying to chop my life into segments of time. Time in the morning to get ready for work, way TOOOO much time spent at work, time for myself at the gym if I can talk myself into it, time to make dinner, time to pick this kid up or drop this other one off, time to relax, time to spend with my boyfriend, time to sleep. But still... I know I have time in there to write... it's a matter of finding it and making it "time for writing".
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:19 pm

well, it could be worse.
my JOB is to write. and it's a long, hard journey through the day to report and write. and edit other people's copy too.

so at the end of the day? or when I have free time? most of the time I don't want to write. i don't want to do anything except veg.

and this is part of what is killing me with my thesis!
Behind the Press

evil_angel
Wordtripper

Postby evil_angel » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:26 am

thats mean! why dont u guys read it then decide
good and bad are possible!

bad is easy!

good is hard!

why do think i should suffer for for good since bad is cool!

http://cooljuniorwrite.createforum.net/
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:35 am

A ) I have no idea what you're saying is mean evil_angel.

B ) I'm sure writing other things all day does make doing your own stuff when you're "off the clock" harder (you don't hear about doctors going home and performing surgery for fun do you?). I'd think that might have something to do with my recent drop-off of production (new job is more mentally intensive and I do more meetings with notes and documentation and discussions and such)... but I've always been wordtripping and posting and e-mailing a ton outside of my fiction writing, so I'm not sure I can claim that as an excuse for me.

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:19 am

yeah, but wordtripping and e-mailing isnt necessarily a drain on your brainpower like getting into an intensive piece of fiction.
Behind the Press

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”