I need some advice

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Bibliophile_Sk8erGal
Wordtripper

I need some advice

Postby Bibliophile_Sk8erGal » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:36 am

Okay I need some advice before writing this. Do you think it's a good idea:

Jeff Ress has special abilities so therefore people think he is weird. Day in and day out he is teased with no end. And then one day something happened that changed his life forever. This is a fantasy/adventure story.
I am just me.
""To be or not to be, that is the question: whether tis' nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against the sea of troubles, and by opposing end them..."" said Hamlet.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:45 am

Pretty standard story stuff. I would say go for it, but try to make whatever happens to him be both good AND bad . . . so he has to choose.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:56 am

I say go ahead and write it. There seems to be a big market right now for stories about teenager as superheros or with special abilities. Make it uniquely yours and see what you can do with it.
Is this my reality or yours?
Bibliophile_Sk8erGal
Wordtripper

Postby Bibliophile_Sk8erGal » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:01 am

um I didn't mean to make it sound standard I was too disracted
I am just me.

""To be or not to be, that is the question: whether tis' nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against the sea of troubles, and by opposing end them..."" said Hamlet.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:17 am

I wouldn't call it standard. You just pared it down to the bare bones of the story. What you do with it will make it special. There's a book out that says there are only 20 master plots in the world yet there are thousands of books published each year. It's all about what you do with it.
Is this my reality or yours?
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:11 pm

I agree with Pengwenn, just work on originality for your story. To be honest, I am already intrigued with the basic concept because I am one of those who loves a "Super-powers_ kind of character....or some supernatural abilities.

Let us read some of what you've written please. I'd love to read it. :)
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Bibliophile_Sk8erGal » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:04 pm

Okay thanx
I am just me.

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:14 pm

I'm kind of writing a story along those lines. It's fun to write. i have no idea how it's going to come out, but writing it is a blast, so i reccomend you totally go with it. And have fun :-)
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Bibliophile_Sk8erGal
Wordtripper

Postby Bibliophile_Sk8erGal » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:47 am

Thanx I'll start writing right away
I am just me.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”