Writer's Digest changes to bimonthly format

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Writer's Digest changes to bimonthly format

Postby pengwenn » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:59 pm

Did anyone else read and notice the editor's letter in the latest copy (August '06) where they said Writer's Digest is changing to a bimontly format instead of monthly? Is this a good thing?

I noticed my copy is a lot thicker and hopefully that is a good thing. But I remember an article in a past issue that said to be warry of magazines that all of a sudden start to print fewer issues per year....monthly to bimonthly to quarterly, etc. They said it's usually 'cause they're running out of money to publish that many in a year.

I don't think Writer's Digest would need to worry about money as it's the industry's leader and favorite but I have noticed that the content has been repeating itself of late. I guess there is only so many times to extol the virtues of colorful dialogue, or descriptive prose. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:54 pm

hmmmm very interesting indeed.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:10 pm

Figures, after years of buying WD off the newstand, I finally broke down and bought a subscription.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
LostCoastArtist
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LostCoastArtist » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:31 pm

Heh. I'm about 5 months behind on reading my subscriptions, so no, I hadn't noticed. :lol:
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:00 am

They never sent me a renewal notice :shock:, and I never got around to renewing manually...
cherbo86
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby cherbo86 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:41 pm

I wondered about that. Lately I have found The Writer to be more on top of things than Writers Digest. I had always preferred the Digest but I think like was mentioned- the articles are a bit repititious. Does anyone else notice the writer as being a little better than it was previously ot is it just me since I hadnt had a subscription there for as long as with the digest.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

The road to hell is paved with adverbs.
Stephen King
novelwriter
Wordtripper

Postby novelwriter » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I wonder how this will affect my subscription to the magazine? I may have to e-mail them.

Thanks,
Melanlie

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”