The Adventure Continues

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

RichardLowry
Wordtripper

The Adventure Continues

Postby RichardLowry » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:03 pm

Hello all!

Everyone hang in there. Two years ago, I was a struggling author with one self-published book under my belt. I have been working every day since and I am living proof that any one of you can be successful with your writing.

I put together a plan and I executed my plan. I wrote the best agent querry letter I could, I wrote the best proposal I could and I wrote the best book I could.

I found an agent. I found a publisher (Penguin Group USA) and now I am working at finding readers for "Marines in the Garden of Eden."

If you would have asked me what it would be like to have my book published by a major house six months ago, I would have told you that its like being lost in a big city.

Six months ago, nothing was happening. But, in the last few months, the action has picked up. First, I got an assistant editor assigned to my book. She is wonderful. We have communicated via email almost daily for the last two months. As my turn came up in the large publisher's schedule, I received a copy of the dustcover.

WOW! They did a great job with it. Then I got a copyedited manuscript for my review. They did another great job here.

Next, I had a publicist assigned to the book and he has been a great help. The galley proofs came in this last week and he has been sending them all over.

I finished the review of the type set first pass last week and now all I have to do is sit back and wait.

Every book I have read on marketing has told me that I can't depend on the publisher doing much in the way of marketing for a small author. So, I have been working on my own marketing plan.

March 23rd will be the third anniversary of the battle for An Nasiriyah. My book, "Marines in the Garden of Eden" is the only book to tell the entire story of the battle for that dusty desert city. March 23rd seemed to be the best time to kick everything off. I have written a half dozen newspaper articles and sent them across the country. I will be interviewed on a North Carolina Talk Radio Show on March 23.

My new website is up and running and almost complete.
http://www.marinesintheGardenofeden.com

And, I am asking everyone I know to tell everyone they know to go to Amazon.com and pre-order a copy of "Marines in the Garden of Eden." The book already has a good ranking on Amazon. I would like to have a great ranking by the time the book comes available on June 6.

Everyone - please - visit my site and purchase a copy.

"Marines in the Garden of Eden" tells the story of America's sons and daughters at war. It is the true story of seven bloody days in Iraq. I wrote this book for the brave men and women who have risked their lives in the service of their country. It is their story and it needs to be told.

Semper Fidelis

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”