Filing rejection letters

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Filing rejection letters

Postby novicescribbler » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:25 am

Ok fellow writers, the burning question of the day is:

What do you do with your rejection letters?

Mine are tacked above my desk, testimony to the fact that I am working. I have filed the form rejections in the back and my favourite one is on the front where I can see it.
Got one the other day on an internet query that was addressed 'Dear Online Contributor'. Ouch. And I thought 'Dear Author' was bad.
On the plus side, I have had another article published, which is enough to keep me coming back for more. What an occupation.
Cheers.
Peabody

Postby Peabody » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:40 am

Congrats on the article! I put mine in the file for whatever story got rejected. That way I don't end up sending something back to where it was already rejected from.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:19 am

Well, at least with rejections, you know where you stand. A growing trend is the old don't-call-us-we'll-call-you approach or the "If you don't hear from us within x # of weeks, we don't want it." My favorite editor is the one who says, "We love it. Send us more." (Yes, actually, there IS one editor like that. :-D )
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:40 am

Mlou wrote:My favorite editor is the one who says, "We love it. Send us more." (Yes, actually, there IS one editor like that. :-D )

Uh huh.

Tell me, Mlou . . . how ARE the little pixies over in Fantasyland?
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Rane
Wordtripper

Postby Rane » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:25 am

I keep my rejections in a folder with a cute little dog on it. It stands up in a holder on my desk, so I can look at it every day to remind me to keep submitting my work.

I've got about 5 different things sent out right now, so I'm anticipating filling up that folder (or my acceptances folder)! :-D
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:57 am

I know what you mean about the acceptance file. Mine is sparse but I love the feeling of dragging a file into it. Talk about gratification.
It is strange that for solitary workers we are so hooked on outside opinion.
I am keeping a table above my typewriter to fill in so that I don't send the Beast out to the same agent twice. (That isn't the name of the book, it's just how I feel towards it at present).
I have had two rejections with helpful comments on them. Is it kosher to contact them again with the revised version, even if they haven't asked for it? Something like: You were right, do you like the new draft.
Or is that a professional no no that would shoot me in the foot for future inquiries to that agent.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”