Rejection!

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Rejection!

Postby novicescribbler » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:57 am

John Grisham received 54 rejections from agents for "A Time to Kill". Stephen King says that he had enough rejections to fill two spikes in his bedroom.
What's the record out there on a novel?
I just started sending my ms out to agents and have received four rejections so far. While I am prepared for the long haul, and am ultimately optomistic, I could use some statistical encouragement as the new ones come in.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:40 pm

Well, that's a favorite topic of discussion here...about the old Catch 22. Agents don't want you if you haven't published and publishers don't want you if you don't have an agent. One of my friends sent her novel out 100 times and finally, reading that they were starting a new imprint where her book might fit, she re-sent it to the first publisher and they took it. She has published 5 in the series since.
HOWEVER that's the good news. The bad news is that most of us are still struggling to find agents who will say anything other than..."A fine manuscript, well written, blah-blah but I just couldn't fall in love with it."
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:08 am

It's even worse when they never reply. I sent a couple things out to contests last year and I wasn't even worthy of a real rejection.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:12 am

i didnt get a response to my query that i sent LAST SUMMER
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
ksuprincess97
Master Tripper

Postby ksuprincess97 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:07 am

I'm up to thirteen rejections on my novel, but I have started to get some that were actually helpful, not the standard form letters, so I consider that a positive sign.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:54 am

:rock: that IS a positive sign

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
UnCoolDuck
Master Tripper

Postby UnCoolDuck » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:35 pm

Delaney wrote:It's even worse when they never reply. I sent a couple things out to contests last year and I wasn't even worthy of a real rejection.
HaHa--you and me both, Delaney!
"Life's a long song." - Ian Anderson
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:27 pm

I like the idea of a rejection goal. I'm going to steal the 100 rejection idea. Another form letter today. Sigh. At least they are nice about it.
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:16 pm

Seems I'm always too lazy to send anything out - it's, uh, one way to avoid rejection. :roll:
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
hyperfine

Postby hyperfine » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:56 pm

Update: In the last 5 minutes I actually printed off something I've been meaning to mail out.

I'm not a hopeless case yet.
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:04 am

Good job.

My writing partner has been in the business longer than I have and she says that we need to bring something that is going out every week. Slave driver. Anyway, it is a positive thing because now that the novel is finished and my brain is on recuperate, I have things 'out there' that I wouldn't normally have sent out, even if one of them is a poem that was pulled out of my archives and fired off just to meet that goal. Sending the novel out to a different agent counts.

We also have a chocolate prize (Lindt of course) for the person with the most rejections in a week. Form letters count double and acceptances count against you. I am working on magazine articles to meet the weekly goal, which is forcing me to keep my brain from going into hibernation when I pick up the mail. She's a wise woman. Her favorite saying is "Ass in chair".

Patrick McManus said that when he started writing he set a goal of a couple of hours a night (he worked during the day) and he made a pact with himself that whatever he wrote would be sent out. He's a writer that had his start in the fishing/hunting magazines. He found a humor market when he found himself with an extra hour until his time was up, spent it writing a short piece, and then fired it off because he had to.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:13 pm

i LIKE this chocolate prize for most rejections in a week... it's BRILLIANT, you can't get the rejections if you don't send them out, so you HAVE to send out. And if you send them out you can't complain if you get an acceptance... love this idea.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
calico
Master Tripper

Postby calico » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:49 pm

heyyyy.... got my first rejection letter yesterday. i laughed.

stupid fools can't recognize pure genius. 8)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:51 pm

the FOOLS!! quick, somebody get Calico some chocolate

calico
Master Tripper

Postby calico » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:22 pm

charlesp wrote:the FOOLS!! quick, somebody get Calico some chocolate

lol, like i'd need a reason... :roll:
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:51 pm

novicescribbler wrote:Patrick McManus said that when he started writing he set a goal of a couple of hours a night (he worked during the day) and he made a pact with himself that whatever he wrote would be sent out. He's a writer that had his start in the fishing/hunting magazines. He found a humor market when he found himself with an extra hour until his time was up, spent it writing a short piece, and then fired it off because he had to.

So are you a P. Mcmanus fan and member of The Rancid Crabtree
Fly-Fishing & Filosofical Society? Or did you just read his book on writing? What is your genre?

Sorry I haven't been around to welcome you to WT...life intervenes. :-D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby charlesp » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:06 pm

wow... Hyker's here! Hiya Hyker!

I was thinking of James McManus when you mentioned PM... totally different author (wrote a book on poker and murder... interesting if overly referential book)... never read PM.

hyperfine

Postby hyperfine » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:31 pm

I could go for some chocolate. That scheme is pure genius.
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:30 am

So are you a P. Mcmanus fan and member of The Rancid Crabtree
Fly-Fishing & Filosofical Society? Or did you just read his book on writing? What is your genre?

I am actually related to a lot of people who resemble Rancid Crabtree and I married Retch Sweeney.

My genre is mystery. I have finished the first novel and am making the rounds with it. Now I have to decide whether to:
- write the sequel
- write the next book with a new detective, in case the first one doesn't sell.
- write the next book introducing my detective as though he's new on the block, in case the first book doesn't sell

The sequel is 20,000 words in but I haven't touched it in a month since I have no focus for it. And I'm lazy. And Law and Order was on. And there was a sale on at WALMart. And Retch needed his dinner.
Peabody

Postby Peabody » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:27 am

Hey, another mystery writer! Just when I was starting to think we were a dying breed... I guess I should start reading the introductions forum.

Is your detective a PI or a police detective? Man or woman? Just curious. I like the amateur sleuths myself. Too much realism is depressing.

Let's see if I can beat your list of excuses: My six year old just said "I'm hungry!" even though he just ate breakfast; my 8 year old is sick; I'm getting my 8 year old's virus; if I don't pay my bills pretty soon the phone and/or electricity will be cut off; my current story has too much of my real life in it and I can't think of how to extract it. Okay, let's call it a tie. :D
wtrbby
Wordtripper

Postby wtrbby » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:20 pm

Just when I thought the rejections slowly coming in the mail one by one were bad enough, I'm now getting them rapid-fire via email... AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
novicescribbler
Wordtripper

Postby novicescribbler » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:38 pm

I'll just take a peek at my email.
pierangeli
Wordtripper

Postby pierangeli » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:50 pm

During my agent search, I have received 17 variations of "not for us" and 2 positive responses. One was from an agent who doesn't even deal in my genre (despite what my research said) but e-mailed that she liked my first 50 and to send it to her daughter (also an agent). The other surprised me. It was this bizarre query I sent out totally in the pov of my mc and even signed Her Name/My Name...just to see what would happen. I suppose if you're weird enough, you'll attract *someone's* attention :D

Last night, a good friend of mine actually told me that she received a rejection from the Estate of a dead agent...he was dead, the agency was still alive, but still, rejection. At least all of my rejections have been from live agents.

I keep a minimum 35 query letters/synopsis/manuscripts in the mail every month. It's really hard to feel too heartbroken about one rejection when you know there's 34 more to go.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:03 pm

Ouch! At least you're sending stuff out. Good for you.
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:17 pm

I keep a minimum 35 query letters/synopsis/manuscripts in the mail every month. It's really hard to feel too heartbroken about one rejection when you know there's 34 more to go.

that's both amazingly gutsy and depressing... I applaud your tenacity :clap:

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”