Do you/Have you written Fan Fiction?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Do you/Have you written Fan Fiction?

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:18 am

Just curious about all us writer's out there, but how many of you have written Fan Fiction stories? For what world have you written them in? Why that one? If you haven't written any yet but want to start go ahead and tell us why.
Is this my reality or yours?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:41 am

i wrote something that could be considered fan fic, i guess. a few years ago, my friends and I wrote this humor thing about some hockey players. I STILL laugh thinking about that.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
H.v.mars
Wordtripper

Postby H.v.mars » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:56 am

Most of my writer friends have but I never tried it. I've done something similar tough, I usually end up making character designs of books I just finished reading .
The life and times of H.V.Mars: http://hvmarsblog.blogspot.com/

My studio's webpage: www.flyhighstudio.com
calico
Master Tripper

Postby calico » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:05 pm

what's fan fiction?
Dreamcatcher
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:29 pm

calico - Fan fiction is stories written using characters and situations from books, films, TV shows and comics. Some people also use celebrities as their characters (a facet of fanfic known as real person fiction).

I do both - I write fan fiction for the fandoms of Harry Potter and Hanson. I've been writing fanfic since I was 17 (which makes me sort of a late starter). I write fanfic for these reasons - it lets me exercise my sadistic side without hurting anyone, it lets me practice my writing, and it allows me to indulge three of my greatest passions (writing, Harry Potter and Hanson). Plus it's fun. :D
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
calico
Master Tripper

Postby calico » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:25 pm

oh... no, i have never done that.
Kevin_Starling
Wordtripper

Postby Kevin_Starling » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:59 pm

I did one with Batman once, and weaved in a little Sandman (both DC), but I didn't care for it much.

Might try fan fiction again sometime.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:53 am

I high school I would write and draw comic books using existing characters--but changing them to MY stories, my way. And I have a killer idea for a novel based on "The Herculoids". But other than that, I'm too LAZY for FF . . . if I go to all the trouble to WRITE something, I want to be able to DO something with the finished product. A few years back, I wrote outlines for a dozen "Daredevil" stories that I sent to Marvel, and a couple of "She-Hulk" stories . . . plus an outline for a YEAR of "Superman" story arcs that I sent to DC . . . no bites. So I'm like "Bugger this--I'll write for me."

Now, there was that one dream with Col. Carter from "Stargate: SG-1" . . . but I never wrote that down, so you can't prove anything . . . :shock:
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:02 am

I'm with mudge... I want to be able to DO something with the finished product and generally Fan Fic you can't... now for a younger writer learning his/her voice I can see how taking a loved character and writing a story in a developed world could help with building their writing skills without worrying about all the other aspects of writing completely original fiction... but unless you're just doing it for your own enjoyment (which I guess most people who do fan fic are) it seems a waste of time to me.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:06 am

Exactly. Not saying it's wrong or anything . . . just that I'm lazy.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:22 pm

Me too. I want more concrete results from my efforts. (And I don't mean a cement block tied around my ankles :-D )
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:30 pm

Nope, never done it except in my head.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”