Breaking in is hell...but this helps

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

blank_parchment
Wordtripper

Breaking in is hell...but this helps

Postby blank_parchment » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:34 pm

Okay, trying and failing spectacularly at finding an agent to represent my first novel, but I had a really amusing and horribly sad experience with one of my most recent rejection letters. The agent was kind enough to type up a short, but polite letter, personalized and everything (I hate agents who start with 'dear writer'). But there was a problem that I would have hoped even a novice with a word processor would have realized- my name was spelled wrong. And not in an unnoticable way- Tiffnay is not a spelling variation I've ever seen, nor one that any spell checker I've tried recognizes (I've really tried). And I know, from reviewing my original query that I didn't spell it wrong (or on the SASE).

Maybe this is just a stupid victory, but I find it very comforting as I receive fresh rejections and keep in mind that agents do make mistakes (big, stupid mistakes). If you've been fighting to get in, or have been through it, or will go through it, don't forget that. And no matter what, don't give up.

I framed that rejection and make sure to check my name spelling every time I type a new query. :D
Did you come to watch me jump? That's sick man, just sick.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:15 pm

Yeah, "Tifnay", I've been there. Round and round we go. Every so often, I get disgusted and say I'm not bothering any more but then...I give it another try. Why doesn't everyone else stop writing books til I get mine accepted??? :D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:30 pm

Isn't it ironic that, as writers, we are not allowed to address a letter "Dear agent" or "Dear editor" but they can address one "Dear writer"? That doesn't seem fair to me.
Is this my reality or yours?
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:27 am

I'm mentally giving up on agents after being stiffed by one who took my stories at a writer's workshop/conference this spring and never got back to me--or answered my phone calls and e-mails. BUT, if I can place/sell a few short stories, then maybe I can get a foot in the door.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:41 am

Actually, I sold a bunch of short stories years ago and for some reason didn't do more. Went on to other things...articles, poetry. I keep saying i'm going to write them again. But the book has me down. I don't like to think of 2 years of work wasted, so i keep going back to trying agents again. *sigh*
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:42 am

timberline wrote:I'm mentally giving up on agents after being stiffed by one who took my stories at a writer's workshop/conference this spring and never got back to me--or answered my phone calls and e-mails. BUT, if I can place/sell a few short stories, then maybe I can get a foot in the door.

timber, you're not the only one I've heard complain about the agents from the conference. . .
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Quicksilver Wolf
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: 'A House On A Hill Productions Studio', QLD, Australia

Postby Quicksilver Wolf » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:43 am

I might just do self-publishing. Forget that agent / editor crap.
I like stupid people. They're like cupcakes, only stupid.

~ Darklord DM (I think)
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:45 pm

Reminds me of how annoyed I used to get that teachers gave us detention for being late and yet were so often late themselves.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”