NaNoWriMo 2005

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

NaNoWriMo 2005

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:23 am

I know NaNoWriMo 2005 isn't up for another 50 days, but I thought we should discuss everything around that subject before the big first day hits. Gather ideas, share them, etc. Just get excited! :D

(For those who don't know: NaNoWriMo 2005 is National Novel Writing Month, and it begins on the first of November and ends on the thirtieth. You spend thirty days writing a 50,000 word novel; about 1,700 words a day. It's definitely a challenge, and a self-rewarding one at that.)

I just started writing down notes for my newest project. I have a seperate notebook for the whole month, for the handwritten parts, notes, and journal of it all.

And I'm still working on my previous NaNo. Working on that frantically in preparation for this NaNo. I left last year with 50,129 words, and I'm now at around 84,000. But more words doesn't mean a better story, it just means, for me at least, there had to be more written into it in order for the story to make some sense.

Anyone else preparing as excitedly as I am?

http://www.nanowrimo.org/index.php
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:08 pm

i plan to participate but know i'm not going to finish. i just want to write.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:17 pm

Y'know I really wanted to... I'm actually still debateing on whether or not I'll have time... between homework which involves ALOT of writing this year... and my personal informal goal of reading every book I can get my grubby little hands on... but I've been doing some thinking today... and we'll see.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:36 pm

you know, del, just do it. i'm in the same boat. if anything it trains you to write every day, push through the crap and keep writing. i didnt meet the goal last year and know i wont this year, but the experience of training yourself to do it is awesome. i need a kick in the butt to get writing right now anyways.
Behind the Press

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:27 pm

Well, for those who can't commit a full month, there will be a week long writing drive just before NaNoWriMo to either warm up for it, or do instead of it... check back soon for the details.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:36 pm

you know, del, just do it. i'm in the same boat. if anything it trains you to write every day, push through the crap and keep writing. i didnt meet the goal last year and know i wont this year, but the experience of training yourself to do it is awesome. i need a kick in the butt to get writing right now anyways.

LOL oh the plights of having a mentor... they make you DO it...

*cracks knuckles* Well, I can't really argue with that response. Its off to NaNo I go...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:42 pm

go del go! :D

ive also figured out what i'm writing about! more details to come in my writing blog ;)
Behind the Press

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:28 pm

Well, I don't plan to ever do Nano as it isn't conducive to my style, and I more want to be to me than pump out a novel to say I did so (no matter how crappy).

As it stands, I've gotten a much more effective, yet longer term method which involves me setting smaller goals per week and achieving them gradually. I'm much more confident in the quality of well-thought-out work than rushed let-me-just-pump-out-any-crap-so-I-can-say-I-did-so!
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:31 pm

I noticed if I edit too much I just psych myself out... NaNo will probably be good for me...
Sakkasie
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Sakkasie » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:45 pm

X,

What is this "I know I won't meet the goal" crap? Hell yeah you're gonna make it. And so is Del and so am I and so is Cyco.

And Blicky, how do you know that all 50,000 words you pump out are going to be crap? There might be all kinds of stuff you spew out that will be useful later.

Enough with the self defeating claptrap you Dingleberries.

Sakki

:roll:
WELTY69

Postby WELTY69 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:15 pm

I am counting down the days till I start my novel. I started taking notes and making maps and character bios since I stopped last yeas novel. I did not quite make it but I am more than hopefull this year. i will not have anything crash and destroy my novel this year....
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:12 am

I'm starting to think up story ideas... (since I'm being sucked into NaNo by my dear mentor)... I can't decide if I should try to finish that damn Florida thing (don't worry, I won't make any of you READ it) or start a new one...
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:18 am

Sakkasie wrote:X,

What is this "I know I won't meet the goal" crap? Hell yeah you're gonna make it. And so is Del and so am I and so is Cyco.

And Blicky, how do you know that all 50,000 words you pump out are going to be crap? There might be all kinds of stuff you spew out that will be useful later.

Sakki

I was just thinking that. Wow.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I think I've done the least amount of subtraction with last year's NaNo. I still have at least 98% of what I originally wrote. I'm editing along the way while still writing little bits here and there to fill in gaps, but otherwise most of what has been written I still consider relevant.

I'd say that a personal goal as writing 50,000 words by the end of 30 days simply shifts the creativity into full gear. At least that's how it was for me.

Oh, and tea. Lots and lots of tea. And chocolate.
Sakkasie

Postby Sakkasie » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:34 am

Del,

I wish you'd finish the Florida thing. I thought that what little I read was so raw and so powerful that it practically begs to be written. It was almost voyeuristic reading it. But like, not in an icky way.

However, what the heck do I know? And I hate it when people say, "I wish you'd ..."

Sakki
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:36 am

Since my CNF class I've been wanting to pick it up again.. lol but so many people hated it I just had to put it away for awhile... thanks for your words... maybe now that you said them I'll feel better about digging back into that place again.
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:38 am

I'm in for sure. I've had my idea brewing for at least the last three months, but it does remain to be seen if I can pull it off...
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
junkstory
Wordtripper

Postby junkstory » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:51 am

I've never participated strictly according to the rules, but I have a novel that I've been meaning to finish for ages, and November seems to be the perfect time to do it.
<i>Some midnight I will meet you in the midst and cross your palm with my mouth.</i>
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:55 am

Sakki

no self defeating stuff here, sakki. with school, work and my research job I don't think I will be able to reach 50,000. It doesn't mean i wont TRY and it doesn't mean I definetely won't do it! I'm just being realistic with my time. :)
Behind the Press

CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:09 am

Any stories from last year?
hyperfine

Postby hyperfine » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:24 am

I've never done it before (I always have midterms in November and I'm more of a short story girl anyway) but I'm thinking since I'm not in school now I just might give it a shot.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:33 am

CycoMerlin14 wrote:Any stories from last year?

I didnt even make it 25,000. the story I was working on wasn't worthy of a novel. it was only worthy of a short story. so it sucked.
Behind the Press

CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:10 pm

I didnt even make it 25,000. the story I was working on wasn't worthy of a novel. it was only worthy of a short story. so it sucked.

At least you made it to a short story instead of no story.
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:14 pm

i've been debating on whether or not I'm going to do it as well. going back to school after a dozen years, I'm still trying to adjust my schedule. I'd like to try it again, I had fun till I de-railed last time, but who knows. *shrug*
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul." - GD
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:55 pm

come on tina! i'm as busy as you! ;)
Behind the Press

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:03 pm

Sakki

Just going on my writing style/past.

If I plot/outline it, it sucks.

If I let it unfold (which is best from me), it needs to unfold at a natural pace, otherwise, it won't be true to the story, hence I will not do that style of writing.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”