Editor put her name besides my story! What do you think?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

fillerlady
Wordtripper

Editor put her name besides my story! What do you think?

Postby fillerlady » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:05 pm

Recently, I had a story in an anthology, which of course, I was very happy about. When I received the book, I was disappointed because to my surprise, the editor had her name beside mine! When I wrote and asked why, she said it was because she had to edit it a lot. Still, I never saw an editor do that and she didn't ask me if I wanted that done! What's your opinion on this? I was really peeved. That never happened to me before and I've been writing for 20 years.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:11 pm

Did you check out just how much she actually "edited"? And no, I've never seen an editor do that. I think she was over the line. In anthologies, the compiler has her name up front, on the cover etc., as the editor of the anthology. It shouldn't be on someone else's writing.
I remember a poem I submitted that the editor wanted a minor change. I did that. Then she wanted another which would have completely altered the meaning of the poem, to HER view, not mine. I withdrew it and wouldn't let her use it.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
fillerlady
Wordtripper

Postby fillerlady » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:01 pm

Thanks much for your astute opinion, Mlou. Nice to be back, too.:-) Yes, she did edit it quite a bit from my original version, but my hubby is a former editor and he had checked to make sure it read ok, so it really didn't need that much. It was only a page and a half of story anyway. I didn't get a chance to withdraw it, as she didn't tell me about the extensive editing at all. She said she forgot. :roll:
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:08 pm

I'd be totally peeved if I wasn't at least given the choice of pulling it or allowing the credit... I normally don't like lawsuits, but this seems like a legitimate case for one since they didn't afford you the opportunity to pull it...
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:21 pm

I don't know what kind of rights you sold but I'd look into it. I'm not sure where you can go to ask for professional help but you might want to try looking at:

http://www.writersdigest.com

or

http://www.sfwa.org

Either one of those sites might have an "Ask the Experts" place where someone might be able to help you.

btw if it was me I'd be LIVID :flamemad:
Is this my reality or yours?
fillerlady
Wordtripper

Postby fillerlady » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:40 pm

Thanks guys. I am livid myself really, but health-wise we're not up to purusing anything and it'll have to drop, but sure appreciate your input. I wanted to see how others would feel about it and everyone so far, on another site too, thinks what was done stinks.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:45 pm

Can you tell us the people to avoid (i.e. this publishing group) so this this doesn't happen to us in the future?
fillerlady
Wordtripper

Postby fillerlady » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:32 pm

This just happened to me, and it isn't likely that it would happen with others. There were many stories in the book that just had their own name and the editor doesn't have any more books.
ghostposts
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby ghostposts » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:10 pm

What that editor did was totally unprofessional. In case she forgot, the book has "Edited by" on the title page, doesn't it?

If you can, pull it. If not, write it off as a lesson learned. By all means, let people know her name so they can avoid submitting to this jerk. I think the Black Hole might have a page for reporting this kind of thing, or you might contact preditors and editors, if you want to pursue it.

If you want to keep the peace, your call, but it might help others to know who to avoid.
fillerlady
Wordtripper

Postby fillerlady » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:12 pm

I can sure appreciate your opinion, but I don't want to get myself in trouble by doing that and like I said, it's only a one-shot deal so no others will be bothered by it, only me. I only wanted a few others opinion to let me know if the way I was thinking was correct and I see that it is. Thanks very much.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”