Writing Quirks?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

kamikazekelly
Wordtripper

Writing Quirks?

Postby kamikazekelly » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:26 pm

Just out of curiousity:

What weird stuff do you do when you write? Do you wear lucky socks? Have a special writing hat?

I've found myself, quite recently, sitting on my inflatable exercise ball at my desk rather than in an actual chair. I sit and bounce and roll around while I wait for the ideas to formulate. (If you haven't tried this...it's really kinda fun).

Or maybe...maybe I'm just weird. :(
AlienEeeter
Wordtripper

Postby AlienEeeter » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:46 pm

When I'm writing in a notebook with a pen, and even sometimes when I'm typing, the first thing I do is write a quote from Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "You love someone who hates us. You're sick." It's from an episode that aired in 1997, and I have been writing it ever since. I think its kind of poetic.

When I was younger I used to suck on atomic fireballs, or eat those little red cinnamon dots all the time while I was writing.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:50 pm

I always hand-write my stuff first. It seems to be more "mine" that way. (I do permit myself to type for subsequent drafts, though, unless I start over from scratch.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:19 pm

Isn't the fact that we're writers a quirk in itself?
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:29 pm

TheMudge wrote:Isn't the fact that we're writers a quirk in itself?

yeah but not on that whole "Exercise ball"/"buffy quote" level... those guys are just NUTS :D

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:30 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:59 pm

^ What he said...
|
|
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:04 pm

Hehe...my keyboard piano is right next to my laptop, so I just flip on the piano and bang out some tunes, centralize myself in my own universe, sing a little...then I turn off my laptop and eat apple sauce or cottage cheese or whatever's available.

I don't have any rituals, really, or quirks because I write only when I feel like it. I just search for my notebook and write. Hey, why is it that we always talk about writing but never really write as much as we talk about it? Always irked me.

Otherwise, I'd like to get an exercise ball (oh great...I thought I was done wanting more things) and try that out. It sounds fun. I'm always squirming like a little kid in my chair and leaving wherever I was sitting because of impatience...

Also, I listen to some goose-pimply music before I edit: Coldplay, Sarah McLachlan, Hybrid, Global Communication...all to get me into a mood I can't describe.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:46 pm

I like to sit on my bed and type on the typewriter as opposed to a computer. Feels more intimate that way, like I'm writing for just me.

If I journal though, I always have to have a black pen, one of those gel ones... they're the only pens that can keep up with me as I fill every little idea onto the page... :)
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:48 pm

Delaney wrote:I like to sit on my bed and type on the typewriter as opposed to a computer.

Kinda like I am with the pen (See above)
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:51 pm

When I start writing something new and fresh, I always handwrite it first. It feels more creative. I also use colored ink, depending on what I am writing. I rarely use black or blue ink. But other than that, I really don't have any quirks persay.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
blank_parchment
Wordtripper

Postby blank_parchment » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:54 pm

Throughout the day, my desk is somehow covered in papers, trash, and general junk. I must have a clean space before I start to write. I've even been forced to clean the entire room, feather duster, sweeper and all because the clutter somehow distracts me. And I'm used to mess and small spaces. Go figure.

I also try to get a few bites of B&J Cherry Garcia down (take the whole pint if I'm feeling gluttonous) to get me in the mind of my protagonist, who is a B&J addict. :oops: Maybe he gets that from me a bit...
Did you come to watch me jump? That's sick man, just sick.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:24 pm

i dont think i have any quirks except that i am a writer to begin with (like mudge said) and the ideas that flow on the page
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:48 pm

Quirk, huh? I don't think I have any writing quirks that I'm away of... but I do not write by hand as I can't write fast enough to keep up with my thoughts and I only end up wonder what on earth I wrote when I read it later.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:12 pm

Would sitting a certain way be a quirk. I sit the same way, my legs in Indian Style with the computer resting comfortably. Also I pop my fingers, chew gum, or move around b/c when I write I get in on the action.
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:13 pm

Would sitting any other way inhibit your writing? Or distract you? That'd be a quirk :wink:
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
luminosity
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby luminosity » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:17 pm

I got a brand new computer desk, but can't seem to get any writing done at it...i just sit there and...nothing... (maybe the exercise ball would help!) :dunno:

Instead of the desk, I have a cozy corner of the couch that I sit in, and before I do, I have to have my paper (yellow legal pad--for notes and jotting down PIMs and haiku) and gel pen ready, as well as a dictionary (and maybe a thesaurus). Sometimes I like to listen to music--sometimes not.

Then I put my feet up onto the coffe table, my lap-top on my lap, and start writing... :D

I used to handwrite everything before typing, but in the interest of time, have started just typing first.
To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.--Elbert Hubbard
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:34 pm

Delaney wrote:Would sitting any other way inhibit your writing? Or distract you? That'd be a quirk :wink:

Yes! my legs have to be tucked or else :twisted: ](*,)
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."

-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
kamikazekelly
Wordtripper

Postby kamikazekelly » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:55 pm

holy cats! the response! whoo!

hurray! 8-[ I'm not the only weirdo!

For those of you who MOCK the power of the exercise ball--*cough* charlesp *cough* --give it a try sometime. It may not help you write, but your friends and family will get a kick out of it. :-D

I also write in longhand, but usually only when I'm struck with a kick-butt idea and I have no other recourse. Otherwise, it's just me and my beloved laptop.

And when I'm not bouncin' around like the true dork that I am (and proud of it!), I also like to sit on the bed like Delaney & write with my Dell. It DOES feel more intimate. (I hate typewriters, tho)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:57 pm

And when I'm not bouncin' around like the true dork that I am (and proud of it!), I also like to sit on the bed like Delaney & write with my Dell. It DOES feel more intimate. (I hate typewriters, tho)

Och! Well, typewriters make me feel like I'm being more productive too... the way the paper keeps popping up and up... :D
Dreamcatcher
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Dreamcatcher » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:01 am

I like to write with my computer on my lap, iTunes blasting - I can't write without music - my book of names and my spelling dictionary close at hand, and sometimes I'll have Encarta open if I need to look something up. I research all my writing very carefully, because I really don't want to get anything wrong. If I have batteries and/or a ribbon for my typewriter, I'll sometimes use it, but it's rare because typewriter ribbons are so expensive...
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:16 am

One I just found today:

Before writing, I opened to the first paragraph of my favorite book and sighed...oh, how we envy...

And I'm getting a real funny mental picture of myself bouncing on an exercise ball while writing... :oops:
ksuprincess97
Master Tripper

Postby ksuprincess97 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:03 am

I usually handwrite first. As far as quirks, I like to put on some music and dance around like an idiot to get the blood flowing. If I'm writing about my Irish character I like to drink Irish coffee, but I always have dark chocolate of some sort within easy reach. When I write romantic scenes I usually have a glass of nice red wine.
"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, And all the sweet serenity of books."
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
kamikazekelly
Wordtripper

Postby kamikazekelly » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:08 am

Delaney- typewriters frustrate me...I love my laptop. The paper thing probably is very satisfying though. I also have to be able to shift text around on a screen.

CycoMerlin- Oh believe me, I look like a fool. But it's fun and it's also nice to have something to do while I'm waiting for that perfect word to pop up in my head.
my finetuning profile
my Associated Content profile
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London
bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:16 am

A couple of ya'll have stated a preference for gel pens. I, on the other hand, can't stand gel pens. I end up with ink all over me. I go back to revise, mark out, and add things and then ink gets all over my forearm. Not so cute. Whenever I need to get a lot of information written down quickly, I use a ball point pen. If I am just writing for fun and I want it to be neat and pretty, I use ultra fine point Sharpies.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”