Return from the convention

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Return from the convention

Postby Hyker » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:11 pm

The PPWC was an incredible experience. We met some wonderful writers, agents and editors while we were there, some of whom will probably be visiting this site soon. (Hi to everyone :D :byebye: )

The pitch session...hmmm, what do I say about the pitch session? Well, my plan of drinking enough coffee so that by trembling fast enough I appeared only as a human blur was a success. The plan was to be able to defy future recognition if the pitch went really bad. I then increased my cover by adding a fine mist of cold sweat to surround me (Sounds silly now, but it was a good idea at the time. The blur was probably good enough) . Luckily, the agent was impressed that a blurry patch of mist could communicate, and even give a decent presentation of their novel, so she slid a business card my way and asked for a sample of the manuscript. Soon after, the blurry mist disappeared with a large smile on his face. :-D

The rest of the conference was amazing as well. Kal was as successful (I'll let him tell his own story) and we met and befriended many people. There were some minor glitches--getting stuck on elevators, breaking the room lock, shorting out the high speed internet system...etc., but those stories I'll also leave to Kal.

If you haven't yet been to a writers conference, I highly recommend going.

:-D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby charlesp » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:19 pm

glad you had fun, glad it went well... don't forget us when you make it big :D

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:36 pm

I wonder....how CAN you tell if a blurry mist is smiling? :D

I love going to writing conferences. I've been to a couple and I am planing another one at the end of June.
Is this my reality or yours?
JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:16 pm

i wonder if anyone got a pic of that "mist"?????

Glad it was successful
"So. You're famous?"

My son to Kinky Friedman at the author's book signing.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:47 pm

Well, that gives us all something to lean on. There ARE agents out there. Some of them even communicate briefly with humans, or human mists. Keep us posted on any contacts followed up. And BIG wishes for good luck with the sample chapters!!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:11 pm

Thanks! There are agents out there looking for new material...maybe they're all busy attending conferences so no one's around to read mailed queries? :shock:

Keep plugging away, Mlou. I've read your stuff and surely someone will recognize the talent soon.
:-D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Power of Cheese » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:31 pm

I don't think we should let Hyker off that easily. I think we all want to hear the adventures of the blurry human mist as he sticks in an elevator, or shorts out high speed internets, or breaks room locks. Come on man, tell it!
PS, glad it went good... :)
"Space is deep, man is small, and time is his relentless enemy" L. Ron Hubbard
http://www.ilovecheese.com/
"It's hard to dance when the floor keeps moving"...
ghostposts
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby ghostposts » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:52 am

couldn'ta happened to a nicer hyker. :-D

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”