How do you determine which story to work on?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:02 pm

I have so many pans on the fire it's causing the flames to go out. It's driving me crazy because I want to work on all of them but get frustrated and lost and end up no working on any of them.

I have two fantasy stories, one sci-fi/fantasy story, a poetry compliation/teen self-help book and various children book ideas floating around in my head and on my lap top.

How do you sort through your day-to-day writing schedule to determine which story to put writing effort into? Do you just write whatever you happen to think about that day or do you actually decided which days you will work on your stories?

Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:01 pm

usually its the one nagging at me all day. Ya know, you dream about it, you wake up thinking about the story, you think about it in the shower on the way to work, etc.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul." - GD
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:39 pm

I'm with Tina. I write about whatever one is like the song on the radio that you can't get out of your head.

I friend recommended to me to write an outline of all the ideas in my head. That way if I spend time working on one idea I won't be completely afraid of losing all of the others. I'm not very good at outlines so I try to write do as many "stage direction" notes as I can. I try to included a feeling or two about the piece as well. There are just too many old notes that I know what needs to happen but I don't know how I feel about it. I hope this helps.
Is this my reality or yours?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:50 pm

i work on whatever one pesters me the most...the one that keeps saying "are you going to give me attention NOW?" every time i turn around. the one i think about first thing in the morning and last thing at night...;.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
lisejo
Wordtripper

Postby lisejo » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:55 pm

Jillstar, I have the same problem you do. I have a whole pile of poems I am still revising, I have about three romance stories I am working on, and I'm also working on a general fiction story. Plus I have about a dozen other ideas floating in my brain nagging me to get started on them.... that more often than not I don't work on any of them.

It's the poetry that's constantly in my mind the most though, all day long, while I'm working, grocery shopping, getting my oil changed, brushing my teeth, and everything else. So that's what I've decided to focus on. I've just started an online poetry workshop, it's the first week of it. I'll see how it goes, but I'm hoping it'll help me get back into the rhythm of writing.
Tupwen
Master Tripper

Postby Tupwen » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:00 pm

It depends on what I feel like writing on at the moment. Usually the story that interests me, or a new idea I had. My current interest seems to revolve around demons--needless to say, the novels and stories that involve them are taking precedence above my other stuff…

I really don't have a schedule of what I write on what days; I kind of just go with my mood and the story that nags at me at the moment. Even for no order in the process, I manage to get something written about every day… even if it's only a crit. But crits are good. I like writing them and receiving them… and I think I'm getting off subject…

~Tupwen
Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever. ~Allen Curtis

Write now. Tomorrow never comes.
paperhats
Wordtripper

How do you determine waht story

Postby paperhats » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:13 pm

Excellent question , I have the same delimina , what I do is what ever is my mood is that moment dertermines what story. Lets remember this is fun , most of the time we cannot get started.

Paperhats
Remember the Fox is running for their dinner, the rabbit is running for it's life, the rabbit usually wins, write for life and ?
blank_parchment
Wordtripper

Postby blank_parchment » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:11 pm

Maybe not being able to decide is why I have trouble getting anything done. My desk is covered/filled with dozens of post-its (the worlds most useful invention) with story lines, random characters, and various scenes that belong to no particular story but beg to be written. And I am a horrible procrastinator, not to mention indescisive, so I either end up working on nothing or everything gets a little attention and I don't sleep. I try to pick one story and work on it for as long as the creative juices are flowing, and when I come to a complete blank I put the story away and take whatever has been on my mind the most while I was ignoring it. Writing too many things at once (as in working on 3 or 4 stories a day) seems to burn me out, so I stick with one as long as possible. Eventually I'll get to everything else...
Did you come to watch me jump? That's sick man, just sick.
luminosity
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby luminosity » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:11 pm

I write some poetry every day to get warmed up (or maybe it's just my favorite procrastination tool...whatever) and then move on to whichever creation my muse tells me to. I try not to argue with her much, 'cause if ignore her and go off on my own, I don't get very far... :roll:
To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.--Elbert Hubbard

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”