"Writing Your Life"... getting rid of the past...?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

"Writing Your Life"... getting rid of the past...?

Postby Delaney » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:46 am

"What is the source of our first suffering? It lies in the fact that we hesitated to speak. It was born the moment when we accumulated things within us." --Gaston Bachelard

"But my soul is riddled with holes like antique lace." --Cathleen Rountree

We've all heard to 'write what you know', so I think alot of writing, even fiction, has personal undertones in it.

Do you use writing as therapy? What does it do for you... calm emotions, put hurting events aside...?

Whenever I feel hurt or an intense emotion has overcome me... I find myself writing about it, in some form. I also wonder if memiors are a way of taking a personal experience off your back and onto a bookshelf, just to know that it HAS been acknowledged, and closing the story is like keeping the experience in the past.

Any thoughts?
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:50 am

Writing is certainly therapy for me...specifically poetry. My short stories and the novels are more about the stories that are crawling around in my head screaming for escape. but the poems...that's a piece of me. it sometimes is hard for me to share them because it's me...it's my emotions out there. I'm naked on the page. I've gotten better with sharing, but it's still hard...
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:57 pm

xcheck24 wrote:... but the poems...that's a piece of me. it sometimes is hard for me to share them because it's me...it's my emotions out there. I'm naked on the page. I've gotten better with sharing, but it's still hard...

Good thing you've got those skates to cover up with.

I agree with you about sharing your work...poems especially. Revealing yourself in writing can be like exposing an open wound.
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby pengwenn » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:18 pm

It seems that a lot of first time novelists, especially in general fiction, write autobiographical novels to start with. Maybe there's a drive in writers to exercise their demons to begin with so they would be free to write whatever they wanted afterwards.

I think in order to create believable characters the author has to put a little bit of themselves into each one, but it doesn't have to be literally autobiographical. A male author could just as easily write a story about a women's decision to have an abortion even though he can never go through that experience himself (from the woman's POV). As an author you just have to find the real emotions behind your characters and make up the rest.
Is this my reality or yours?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Re: "Writing Your Life"... getting rid of the past

Postby Anblick » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:24 pm

Delaney wrote:"What is the source of our first suffering? It lies in the fact that we hesitated to speak. It was born the moment when we accumulated things within us." --Gaston Bachelard

"But my soul is riddled with holes like antique lace." --Cathleen Rountree

We've all heard to 'write what you know', so I think alot of writing, even fiction, has personal undertones in it.

Do you use writing as therapy? What does it do for you... calm emotions, put hurting events aside...?

Whenever I feel hurt or an intense emotion has overcome me... I find myself writing about it, in some form. I also wonder if memiors are a way of taking a personal experience off your back and onto a bookshelf, just to know that it HAS been acknowledged, and closing the story is like keeping the experience in the past.

Any thoughts?

My poetry is usually my therapy when I need it. It helped pull me out of the lowest part of my depression.

As for my non-poetry writing (novels, stories, etc), all the characters in all the stories (except tags, etc that are composed with other authors) are a twist on me. Either an exxaggeration of an attribute or belief, or a phisical characteristic, or an "I wish I was"...
Rhiannon SilverWolf

Postby Rhiannon SilverWolf » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:42 am

I totally agree. Like my art, my writing is also therapy for me. A way of letting go of feelings without physically doing any harm. I just wrote a thread in the intro sec. about asking for advice whether to write a story based on my life or to do a fantasy instead and leave my other project for when I will really need the healing effect. My husband is dying and there's so much I need to express. But will my writing about our fairy tale love be my healing therapy after he passes? I'm at a quandry
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:56 pm

It's so hard to answer that, hun, because I've never had that kind of tragedy to go through... I did however, write my most when I was pregnant (few months ago) with the knowledge that at the end of it I wouldn't be able to keep my baby... which was probably the most painful thing I've gone through in my short life... I still haven't been able to write about it although I mean to someday...

I think writing a memior starting where the two of you are RIGHT NOW may be good for you... but only if you feel strong enough to face it...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Tasia
Master Tripper

Postby Tasia » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:17 pm

I find it hard to write when I'm in pain. I draw when I'm in pain and, that's why I don't like people to see my drawings. I throw them away. I sometimes go back and write and realise, wow, that was hard for me. When I right, I release my soul- I'm sure you all know what that means.
luminosity
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby luminosity » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:46 am

Writing has been my therapy at times, especially through poetry and journaling. I have not shared many of my very personal poems -- and would certainly never share my journals -- but as for my fiction works, I usually look at what I've written and think, "Where the heck did that come from?" I see bits of myself in some of it, but mostly, when writhing (Freudian slip?) *writing*, I feel like I've entered someone else's consciousness -- so I couldn't really call that therapy. It sure feels good when I've created something I like, though, and that others enjoy...so maybe it is...? :-k
To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.--Elbert Hubbard
ragingredhawk
Wordtripper

Postby ragingredhawk » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:52 pm

I've found that, whether I want it to or not, my past always creeps in. I had cancer when I was 21. Now it seems like at least 1 character in everything I write has cancer. I've tried not to do it, but somehow it always seeps in, like it's my chosen metaphor or something. It does help, somewhat, because so much of what each of us feels, tragedy or not, aren't things we can express any other way sometimes. A very close friend of my family just passed away four months after being diagnosed with cancer. Survivor guilt kicked in and I was a wreck. And somehow, what I can't explain to my wife in a way that she really gets it, I can put out on paper.

I think it's something all writers do. We've all read books that totally nail how we feel, right?

I will say this though... writing about being sick, righ after (and during) the illness? Didn't work well. Helped me vent, but it was never anything I wanted to show anyone. It was just too raw.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”