Random story ideas?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Random story ideas?

Postby charlesp » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:00 pm

OK... had an idea... we're all looking for little funky things to throw into stories.. or ideas for stories sometimes... so I figured we could all chime in on some of the random THINGS we've heard about (like the police blotter type stuff) that might inspire somebody.

I'm going to start with a few things that I found out at work. We had a new employee meeting and they had everybody list something about themselves that other people might not know... and I thought some of them could be interesting story prompts.

Once played golf for 14 hours straight
    Auditioned for the Largest Recorder Orchestra in the World
    Ridden a bike on the highest paved road in North America
    Spouse recently appeared on Wheel of Fortune game show.
    Good friends with Robert Feggans-- Aka Big Rob, from high-school who is now Britney Spears Body Guard.
    Met fiancee on a cruise and are now model/spokesperson for the cruise company
    Rode to the airport with Brett Favre

These are all random facts from coworkers... anybody else have any interesting THINGS like this?

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:02 pm

Let's see...
I shared a pina colada with Dan Rowan (Laugh-In) once.

Sat backstage and schmoozed with Henry Fonda and director John Ford. (My friend was one of the actors in Mr. Roberts w/ Fonda.) That one goes WAY back, obviously. Still wet behind the ears. Rode in a taxi afterward with the GOAT who starred in the play! Oh, THAT was interesting!

Baked a cake in the ballroom of the Royal Hawaiian once.

There's lots of stuff...would just have to dredge it up!! :o)
Last edited by Mlou on Wed May 19, 2004 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:01 pm

Ideas for stories, YEAH! I've been looking at www.snopes.com and its urban legends. GREAT stuff that has been humorous source material for an anthology of short stories I'm working on in the O. Henry vein.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
Sossity
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Sossity » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:12 pm

On a plane ride to D.C. I sat next to this wonderful old man who was pointing out all the sites to me. It wasn't until I got off the plane that I found out I was sitting with Alfred Hitchcock.
There's no limit on happy memories. Make some more!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:16 pm

bizarro brushes with fame around here... my only brushes with "fame" relate to bands from the mid-90s... when I snuck backstage and hung out with Stone Temple Pilots, Meat Puppets, Redd Cross, etc... and when a good friend crashed at my house after his band played an atlanta show... and two weeks later he was on TV playing with Rancid at Lollapalooza.

charlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Sossity

Postby Sossity » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:34 pm

I also waited on Josh Brolin about 10 years ago at a bar I was working at. If I had known he was going to grow up this cute I would have paid more attention to him.(Like I had a chance, but I can dream here can't I?)
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:41 pm

brushes with fame:

my family was very good friends with singer Harry Nilsson. When my younger brother was making confirmation, Harry sent him a CD player (they had just come out). Harry and I also share the same birthdate (separated by a number of years).

Ace Freely and I drank in a bar together with my best friend and our drummer friend, Budgie.

Michael Storm's aka Dr. Larry on One Life to Live, son and I were good friends in high school.

Big John, aka John Popper from Blues Traveller, and the rest of the band did shots with me and my girlfriends when they would play a local bar. Just before the first album came out.

A guy named Peter, that's a year ahead of me in high school, was the Dave Matthews original keyboard player. When they were just a college band.

I live near NYC, so meeting famous people, happens a LOT.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul." - GD
Sossity

Postby Sossity » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:45 pm

I partied with Don Henley once, with a bunch of co-workers. I didn't know who he was until later either. I most get out more often.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:50 pm

non brushes with fame but odd stories...

when I worked at amazon.com we had some interesting stuff happen during the christmas rush... we bussed in people to help out and some came from... less than the best area of town... a couple of knife fights happened... somebody broke a computer monitor over another guy's back....

CharlesP

Ran
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Ran » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:52 pm

Lets see;
Joe Giragiola (sp?) dated my aunt for a while.
I had lunch with Commander Bucher (the Pueblo incident).
A very good friend of mine is the pilot flying the lead helicopter in the M.A.S.H. intro.
I met Tennesee Ernie Ford at a train station in Rawlins Wyoming.
I confiscated an old pistol from a bad guy and found through my research that it was owned and carried by Miles Keogh of the 7th Cavalry (Custer) that was stolen from the Little Big Horn Battle Ground. The court allowed me to give it to the museum at the Little Big Horn.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to
gnaw through the leather straps.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:03 pm

Went out with Michael Durant and some friends in Houston. (Downed helicopter pilot in Mogadishu--"Blackhawk Down").

Was on a combat drop in a C-130 and watched the guy in front of me accidently drop out the rear cargo door.

Flew in a "net" beneath a helicopter for combat landings on rooftops.
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Power of Cheese » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:45 pm

Hyker, did you really meet Michael Durant? Dude, that is awsome. That man is a hero to me (after you of course).
"Space is deep, man is small, and time is his relentless enemy" L. Ron Hubbard
http://www.ilovecheese.com/
"It's hard to dance when the floor keeps moving"...
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:58 pm

My brush with fame?

In 1984, the summer that "Purple Rain" aired (or close to it), I visited "1st Ave" (the club from the movie) with a friend. As we where leaving I turned around and saw Shelia E behind me in a fur coat and lots of jewelry. So I whispered in George's ear, "look who's behind us". He looked, and in a loud voice I know she could hear said "Oh, it's a hooker". I of course got as far away from George as I could and pretended not to know him.
One other near brush with fame was over the Adriatic in '94 (I think it was 94). My crew and I was the first NATO E-3A AWACS on orbit after Scott O'Grady was shot down in his F-16 over Bosnia. I think I was first person on duty that night that heard his emergency locator beacon over guard radio thus “finding him” and enabling a rescue mission to be planned. My crew was also airborne a few days later when the Marine TRAP went in and rescued him.
"Space is deep, man is small, and time is his relentless enemy" L. Ron Hubbard

http://www.ilovecheese.com/

"It's hard to dance when the floor keeps moving"...
hiker00704
Wordtripper

Postby hiker00704 » Wed May 19, 2004 1:10 am

I met Dave Matthews, Boyd and other members of the band at Rookies cafe in Amsterdam

Met Pele when he played for the Cosmos back in the day

have had dinner a few times with Jon Cochran (not sure of spelling) and his wife Jean Cochran jon is ABC white house correspondent and Jean is producer for NPR
(jon was dads roommate in college)
Roll Tide
Violinagin

Postby Violinagin » Wed May 19, 2004 1:17 am

*Has never met anyone famous*

Uh... Willie Nelson blew me a kiss once... but, there's nothing remarkable about that... he blew each of the lady's one...

(Heh, listen to me calling myself a lady)
JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Wed May 19, 2004 6:54 am

well...never really met anyone famous...but saw Davy Jones once up close when i was a teeniebopper type person and he brushed by me...short dude...

Once though my aunt had a brush with fame. A movie shoot was down here and Sally Field used my aunts big sail boat for a movie...my aunt got to be an extra as payment ....
"So. You're famous?"

My son to Kinky Friedman at the author's book signing.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Wed May 19, 2004 2:13 pm

OK. So far we've established that a.) Allison is a lady; and b.) Tina is a groupie. Okay . . .

Famous people I have met:

Ronnie Millsap
Joe Bonsall (Oak Ridge Boys)
Rod Stewart
Dan Haggarty (Grizzly Adams)
Eric Clapton

Famous People I have met and actually had a conversation with:

Reba Mcintire
Todd Snider
Jerry Jeff Walker
Alec John Such (Bon Jovi)
Chuck Rainey
Michael Winslow (Police Academy movies)
Prince

Famous People whose mouths I have put words in (but never met):

Arthur Ashe
Hank Williams Jr.
Tom Hamilton (Aerosmith)
Rudy Sarzo
Randy Travis
Johnny Cash

Famous Person whose guitar I have played
The fat chick from The Forrester Sisters

Famous Person whom I have dated:
Lisa Robertson (QVC)

Famous Person who connects me to Kevin Bacon:
Did an album cover for Jeff Serdins, who was a guitarist for Madonna, who was in "Shaghai Surprise" with Sean Penn, who was in "Mystic River" with Kevin Bacon.

(Technically, since my connection only takes 4 steps, anybody who knows ME is within 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. Don't y'all feel special?)

There's more, but my head hurts.

The moral of the story: famous people are just people.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed May 19, 2004 2:22 pm

That's some connection, Mudge. I hope the elastic is real strong! :O

I though of another one.
I competed in a beauty pageant at the Playboy Plaza Hotel in Miami. Had to wear a gown and walk down the runway. Got the keys to the city...the whole bit.
HOWEVER, before any gentlemen bother to salivate, it wasn't ME for whom the runway existed. It was for my CAT, Captain Claw! He was a finalist in a national cat contest one year and the family got to go as his guests. but it was a lot of fun (except that our room was robbed while we were there. Some fun, huh?)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”