You know you're a writer when...

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:15 pm

Um... Cyco... quick question... were you baked? lol
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:34 am

...when you keep a night light on, not because you're afraid of the dark but because you're making notes for a story at 2am
Is this my reality or yours?
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:43 pm

Delaney wrote:Um... Cyco... quick question... were you baked? lol

*raises brow*

-You're easily confused
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:57 pm

Well... I just don't think I get it...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:14 am

I shrug. What do you mean?

-You get the chance of a lifetime to be alone for the first time in how many ages, and you end up writing in the nude (this is equivelent to non-writer folk watching TV in the nude), and it's scary, because you end up writing better.
-Some kind of inner voice forces you to share this experience with the few friends that you have (who are just barely hanging on from all the irksome times you thought out loud), and it's no wonder they're dead silent. (They think you're crazy)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:14 pm

-You've called 911 on "accident." (I did once. Was in another world and thought my MC needed immediate medical attention from this one scene...)

It might help me if I understood what an MC is... :lol: I don't mean to diss it Cyco... I just don't understand what exactly happened (class ditz I am).
Sakkasie
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Sakkasie » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:13 pm

Delaney,

Just a guess but I think MC stands for Main Character ...

You Know You're A Writer When:

- There's not a room in the house (including the bathroom) that doesn't contain a notebook and three pens.

- You shamelessly eavesdrop at every opportunity.

- You wish you worked in Human Resources so you'd know everything about everybody.

- You buy books on how to be a better writer by the truckload.

- You wonder why everyone doesn't write when it's so much fun (sometimes).

- You compose e-mails in Word so that you can do word counts and your average e-mail is 500 words.

- You proudly display your rejection letters because the salutation is "Dear Author".

- You feel that 99% of what you write is crap.

Sakki
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:38 am

lol!
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:08 am

You know you're a writer when...
> Scenes like old men playing chess on park benches evoke a strong emotional response.
> You consider Eminem one of your favorite modern poets (... or is that when you know you're NOT a writer?).
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:40 pm

Delaney wrote:> You consider Eminem one of your favorite modern poets (... or is that when you know you're NOT a writer?).

I think it's when you know you've lost your sense of taste

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:56 pm

Are you trying to say that I have no taste...? I'm eating pizza, and I promise you, I do have taste!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:50 pm

Delaney wrote:Are you trying to say that I have no taste...? I'm eating pizza, and I promise you, I do have taste!

I'm saying that Eminem at his best is an occasionally amusing lyricist... certainly NOT one of the best modern poets.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:54 pm

LOL

Why don't we chalk it up to a matter of opinion and leave it at that...

*hand outstretched for shake*
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:07 pm

opinion it certainly is... as with most "best X of their generation" statements.... And I was mostly just trying to give you a hard time :dazzling:

*shakes*

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:13 pm

I figured as much ;)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:22 pm

There was an interesting list of these in a recent Writer's Digest. One was:

If you send SASEs in all your letters, including to your mother.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:49 pm

Mlou wrote:There was an interesting list of these in a recent Writer's Digest. One was:

If you send SASEs in all your letters, including to your mother.

I saw that list, Mlou, and I swear they killed it. I don't think the actual title was even correct (or funny, whatever it was). It was like, "You know you're an obsessive writer who wants to be published when..." *bashes head against bus window* Honestly, let's just keep it simple.

Okay, I've been compiling these since last November when I came across it on NaNoWriMo.com. Credit, of course, goes to the anonymous one who started the list. I'm at page 19 with all these. A lot of them are extremely funny and true. Here's one that had me rolling:

-You sit staring at the monitor wondering why you wrote this in your notepad at 3:27 AM: "The tablecloth was green, she shuddered."

And another:

-You sit banging your head on the bus window in utter despair from all the grammar mistakes on billboards.

This one used to be true, but now I just ignore it:

-Sentence Fragment and Verb Confusion make you scream and yell at your computer.

Of course, though, the most universal one of them all is:

-You burst into laughter at random moments.

What writer does not do this?
Tupwen
Master Tripper

Postby Tupwen » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:21 am

lol, I have a lot off private, inside jokes that are based on knowing my characters, so often I'll be thinking of something and start laughing, and no one will have a clue what's so funny… it reinforces the image that I'm weird… mauhahahah!

Hey, CycoJay, are you doing NaNo again this year?

~Tupwen
Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever. ~Allen Curtis

Write now. Tomorrow never comes.
Sakkasie
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Sakkasie » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:12 am

You wake up at 4am and wonder what's the earliest you could get up and start writing without seeming obsessive.

:roll:

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”