You know you're a writer when...

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Mickyjoe26

Postby Mickyjoe26 » Tue May 11, 2004 12:00 am

You know your a writer when " Your house is lined with writing projects, when your calendar becomes a story board, and when you start talking to your characters as if they were next to you."
Michelle R Kidwell
Violinagin
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Violinagin » Thu May 13, 2004 12:28 am

You know you're a writer when:

You're cousin made you a purse, and made sure it was big enough to hold four notebooks, a folder of paper, a text book, and all the other normal "purse" things...

I mighta just gotten a backpack @_@... But the purse was really pretty!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu May 13, 2004 6:34 am

hehe... I lug a backpack two and from work for no descernable reason exepct to carry half a dozen books, random research magazines, and a couple notebooks. Thing is I don't need ANY of it to do my actually "JOB" :D

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Thu May 13, 2004 6:45 am

lol...i am a writer...i did what i wrote about...a "why did you write all that? all I need is a quick answer" sort of thing, at work...twice....and then i remembered this thread...too funny. However, I am still waiting for a plot on credit cards (hmm..possibly regarding internationsl fraud)...to come about, but as of yet...nada... :(
"So. You're famous?"

My son to Kinky Friedman at the author's book signing.
Tony

Postby Tony » Thu May 13, 2004 9:58 am

There's an old story about a compulsive gambler that i think is applicable.

It seems this guy, a horse player, has ruined his life. He's gambled away every cent, he's lost his job and his wife has left him.

He's talking to a therapist one day who says to him:

"Supposing I had a crystal ball and I could guarantee you that you will never win another bet at a racetrack again for the rest of your life? What would you do?"

The gambler tought about it for a moment, then said:

"I guess I wouldn't bet more than ten bucks a race."

That's sort of how I feel about writing.
tearsonroses
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby tearsonroses » Fri May 21, 2004 1:54 pm

You know you might be a writer when...

A co-worker tells you she just got in contact with her sister that has been missing for the last five years and you have a million different story plots race into your head about where the sister might have been (fallen into a different dimenson, become an international spy, abducted by aliens...)
Hope, Love, Dream
Ba'alat

Postby Ba'alat » Fri May 21, 2004 2:33 pm

You know you're a writer when you call an old friend (who is a miracle worker at finding used, free stuff) and ask him to keep his eyes out for a 4-drawer filing cabinet and when he shows up with an old, dirty, dented heap you think it's the most beautiful peice of furniture in your home because all you can think of is filling it up with writing projects.
kexxy
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby kexxy » Fri May 21, 2004 3:21 pm

When you dont call your Mom or Dad or Friends to yell I GOT A B+ on my Reseach Paper! Instead you go to Wordtrip!
Dont "should" on yourself,
Dont "Should" on others,
And NEVER let anyone,
Should on you!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri May 21, 2004 3:31 pm

:rock: kexxy :clap:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Fri May 21, 2004 3:34 pm

When you plan a backpacking trip and wonder how you are going to sleep on the hard ground under the stars because there's no room for a tent and sleeping bag when you're laptop is packed.

(And carrying the extension cord was the REAL problem)
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby kexxy » Fri May 21, 2004 3:36 pm

:dazzling: hehehehehe thanks! :yimnerd: + :reading01: + :coffee1: + 2 :pepsi: + love and :helpme: from wordtrippers and Tons of writing practice here = :yimdance:
Dont "should" on yourself,

Dont "Should" on others,

And NEVER let anyone,

Should on you!
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:28 pm

-An idea comes to you, and it's not the light bulb blinking to life, it's the candle wick bursting into flames.
-This is because you abhor the electric.
-Theme parks bore you.
-However, when you're on a ride, you're fantasizing about the prospect that your harness might just fling open, sending you hurtling through the air and so on...
-And when it does, you wake up screaming.
-You then slip this into some kind of story.
-You're a liberal.
-You're easily amused, mostly by the sound water makes when gliding back and forth in a bottle (you can make this sound if you drink a lot of milk and lay down to press down on your stomach, which makes you all the more stranger).
-You have sad attempts at properly analyzing college-level essays because you answered "It just has no hook" for all the questions.
-Some of your least favorite stories are your funniest, according to your friends (whether they're real or not).
-You were the one in high school who sat in the back of the classroom and looked to be "writing down everything the teacher said."
-Isn't it tempting to pull that fire alarm?
-You've called 911 on "accident." (I did once. Was in another world and thought my MC needed immediate medical attention from this one scene...)
Tupwen
Master Tripper

Postby Tupwen » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:30 pm

-You've called 911 on "accident." (I did once. Was in another world and thought my MC needed immediate medical attention from this one scene...)

LOL! Cyco… that's funny… :lol: What did you say when they answered you?

~Tupwen
Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever. ~Allen Curtis

Write now. Tomorrow never comes.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:23 pm

This cracked me up...lol
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:16 am

You know you're a writer when...

it takes you 20 minutes and 3 drafts to send an email to your boss just to tell them "project complete"
Is this my reality or yours?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:28 am

...when you read baby name books, not because you're expecting but because you just started a new story and your characters need names.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:30 am

...when with a couple more post-its/napkins you'll have your first novel written.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:32 am

...when you can't find the receipts for your income tax return but you can find the crapy poem you wrote in 3rd grade to the kid who sat in front of you.

Rose are red
Violets are blue
Do you like me?
'cause I like you
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:33 am

...when you get excited about losing your job because now you have all the time in the world to write the next great blockbuster novel.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:34 am

...when most of the mail you receive is your manuscripts returned from agents/editors
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:36 am

...when you sit down and write the back story of the Big Bad Wolf to help you understand his motivation
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:32 pm

...when you continue to tell your story even after your friends have all left because you want to hear how it ends.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:33 pm

..when you emerge from your writing place and ask "what day is it?"
CycoMerlin14
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby CycoMerlin14 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:44 pm

Tupwen wrote:

LOL! Cyco… that's funny… :lol: What did you say when they answered you?

~Tupwen

Haha. Well, I hung up before I heard the ring tone, right after I snapped back into reality (a very nightmarish place, by the way). But they called the phone, and this was at school after a play rehearsal, and after I walked out this random chick picked the phone up, and soon enough I see her crying through the exit door windows. I don't know why I had the impulse to see what was wrong, but I went back to her and she started screaming and swearing at me, tears jumping from her eyes to the floor, and she said the police were coming to write down names.

Okay, I tried to explain to this officer why I called 911, which would have been even stranger had I told him that my MC needed medical attention. I said I was in la-la land and just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. And I swear I'll never forget that face: What the $*&@?. He wrote down my name and drove off, and a few days later the school disciplinarian was barking at me for calling 911 because now they had to pay the police all these fines, et cetera, oh, boo-hoo, cry me a river, build me a bridge, get over it. Haha

That had to be 2 years ago, I believe. It's a good story. I like telling it to people. Of course, though, I'm sure UMHS (the high school I went to) is still crying over the incident, because they had lost all this money they were going to use for their new football uniforms. Pshaw.

We are a very dangerous peoples, aren't we? Always in la-la land, claiming we are the ones who know the truth, et cetera.

What a world.

-You're always in la-la land
-You claim you know the truth about such-and-such, because, hell, you're the writer, you're the one who can conceive anthing, and that should be good enough for anyone.
Tupwen
Master Tripper

Postby Tupwen » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:22 pm

Hehe, that's hilarious, Jay! :lol:

You know you're a writer when…
-You start sleep walking because in your dream you woke up from a dream with a great idea and you have to go type it out on the computer before your forget…

[This happened to me the other night. I was having a dream that I had this great story, and I needed to write it down. and because my room is such a mess and there are extension cords all over the floor, I got two steps toward my computer (still sleeping, btw), tripped and crashed into the file cabinet, knocking over the boxes of paperclips, notebooks and pencil containers stacked there. I woke up at that point. And then I promptly forgot that idea… grr…]

~Tupwen
Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever. ~Allen Curtis

Write now. Tomorrow never comes.

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”