Keep the Ball Rolling

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

Keep the Ball Rolling

Postby JillStar » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:38 pm

Never stop your Writing Ball from rolling down the hill. Sometimes when the ball is rolling, we stop it to edit, eat, sleep, work, answer the phone, put out forest fires or just go to the bathroom. Never stop that ball!

As for editing... I feel that if that Writing Ball is rolling at full speed, simply write! Don't stop and look back at what you wrote five minutes ago... just keep going.

Editing can take place an hour after you're done writing... or a day, or a week. But if you stop the ball from rolling just to go make things "better", you have taken two steps backwards. When you do get back to writing, you'll have to pick up the pace again and probably won't do as well.

As for all the other distractions that stop the ball... you can eat later, you don't really need to sleep unless your fingers stop working, your boss will understand and you can put the phone on mute. Now... if you have to go to the bathroom... you may want to put a priority on that. If you house is on fire... grab the computer and leave (calling 911 as you exit). :D
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:40 pm

I'm glad you finally gave me permission to go to the bathroom! My couch is only a few months old!
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:40 pm

hmmm, house on fire....that means firefighters....mmmm, firefighters :twisted:

you know, i have the problem of restarting the ball from rolling once I get into a groove...but so many times I have to stop because it's my bedtime or I need to use the bathroom or someone calls or SOMETHING. It's just so hard to say no to everything else called life. Sometimes I wish I could put life on pause to keep writing.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Re: Keep the Ball Rolling

Postby Hyker » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:13 pm

jillstar wrote:Never stop your Writing Ball from rolling down the hill. Sometimes when the ball is rolling, we stop it to edit, eat, sleep, work, answer the phone, put out forest fires or just go to the bathroom. Never stop that ball!

As for editing... I feel that if that Writing Ball is rolling at full speed, simply write! Don't stop and look back at what you wrote five minutes ago... just keep going.

Editing can take place an hour after you're done writing... or a day, or a week. But if you stop the ball from rolling just to go make things "better", you have taken two steps backwards. When you do get back to writing, you'll have to pick up the pace again and probably won't do as well.

As for all the other distractions that stop the ball... you can eat later, you don't really need to sleep unless your fingers stop working, your boss will understand and you can put the phone on mute. Now... if you have to go to the bathroom... you may want to put a priority on that. If you house is on fire... grab the computer and leave (calling 911 as you exit). :D

All great advice Jill. I need to print this out and tack it up above my monitor :D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Anblick » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:14 pm

Can I sleep?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:15 pm

Do I want to know what the punishment is if she doesnt grant you permission? :shock:
Behind the Press

There's always a bloody ghost.
BobbyB

Postby BobbyB » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:19 pm

Jill, do you consider writing on wordtrip rolling the ball?
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:20 pm

xcheck24 wrote:Do I want to know what the punishment is if she doesnt grant you permission?

I could tell ya... but then I'd have to... TICKLE EVERYONE!

UUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!

Hyker... I'm glad you like the advice! Keep your Writing Ball rolling!
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:21 pm

Whisper it to me...
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:23 pm

I used to get distracted easily. But I'm much better now when I sit to write, I just write and write and write. I do find that I write to a point and stop. To keep the next idea in my head, I may even jot a note as to where I want the story to go next, but I won't write it till another time. That gets me going for the next time when I sit down to write.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul." - GD
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:30 pm

I love that Tina... there comes a point when you "have" to stop writing, but if you jot down that note, you can keep going the next time you sit down to write.

I think that would work as well if you are interupted and can't help it... make a note (even just one word) telling yourself where to go next.
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:34 pm

Was it Hemmingway that always stoped his writing session in mid sentence so that he knew where to begin the next session?
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:41 pm

Bess!! You've stunned me. I was really relating to that beautiful pensive profile.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:44 pm

Should I change it back, my friend?
SassyWritingMama

Postby SassyWritingMama » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:45 pm

I'd like to keep the ball rolling, but my 11 month is always grabbing it mid air!
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:45 pm

Never mind...I'll change it back. It does kind of resemble me in my younger days.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:09 am

Maybe I should take my own advice!!
Ran
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Ran » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:22 am

WRITE ON!!!!!!
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to
gnaw through the leather straps.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri May 14, 2004 11:44 am

My "writing ball" decided to come to a complete stop a while ago and is now finally moving forward at a gentle yet slow pace. Hopefully it will travel at full speed very soon. :)
Ran
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Ran » Fri May 14, 2004 12:23 pm

turn her ever so gently my talented lass and let the wind open your sails....on to the horizon... full speed ahead ;o)
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to

gnaw through the leather straps.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:49 pm

Because my own writing ball stopped rolling a while ago... I thought we could talk about how to get it rolling again.

Life often seems to step right in front of the ball and stop it in its tracks. Life not only steped in front of mine... it flat out stepped on it. So not only do I have to get the little thing rolling again... I have to fill it full of air.

We, as humans, can and will always find excuses for something. Excuses for not watching our diet, excuses for being mean to others, excuses for not writing, excuses for not cleaning the house... you name it... we can come up with something.

Everything that I felt could go wrong this year... did. At least, that's my excuse. Death in the family, breaking-up, dealing with obnoxious people, living with my mother, selling my house, dealing with my dumb agent, fighting depression, keeping sane... ALL OF THESE contributed to my excuses for NOT writing.

I would sit in front of the computer... stare at a blank screen or... worse yet... stare at a work-in-progress and... NOTHING. My mind would wonder to those excuses I mentioned above. I would then think about places I would rather be... adventures I would rather be on... traveling around the world while still sitting staring at my screen.

The thing is... just the other day I told my mother that I was happiest when I was writing my stories. I felt direction in my life... I had a purpose... and I was, in some small way, on an adventure.

So my question to all of Wordtrip is... how do we get our writing ball rolling again once it has stopped?
TinaS1570
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby TinaS1570 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:57 pm

Jill, I was right where you are earlier this year. My friends tried to helpme out, but soon gave up. I just had to find my way back. I don't remember what it was that I just sat and started to write again. I think it could've been journaling, but I'm not quite sure. I just started. Life has been jumping in front of everything I do lately. One day at a time Jill.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul." - GD
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:46 pm

Dunno, Jill. Goals don't seem to work for me. Sometimes it--I'm talking about writing, but I suppose we could get more generic than that--all seems so pointless.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:49 pm

I don't have much to add except that if you run out of excuses, I have plenty I can share with you.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:52 pm

. . . gee, Mlou . . . THAT's helpful . . .
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”