What's the Writer's Life All About?

A place for writer's to congregate and commiserate about the life of the writer. Discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse. Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

What's the Writer's Life All About?

Postby JillStar » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:57 pm

The Writer's Life is a very useful section of Wordtrip.

This is the place for members to discuss the writing process or ask questions... discuss techniques for fixing your prose, livening up your dialogue, or awakening your muse.

Also share in writing victories, be they publication or contest winnings.

Questions, comments, deep thoughts... if it's about WRITING... we want to hear it!!
Last edited by JillStar on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My writing site and blog is found under the pen name Phenix Jira: Main Site; and FB;
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2016: Additional FFF Prompts
snowbird
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby snowbird » Mon May 16, 2005 5:48 pm

I need comments about the Institute of Children's Literature and the course they offer, their guarantee that you'll have a manuscript ready for publishing, etc. Anyone taken the course? What's your opinion?
Dark eyed Junco
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon May 16, 2005 6:11 pm

I sent in a little ditty to them once and they sent a letter back stating they wanted to "take me on"... then I looked at the cost and declined. I received several letters over the course of a year... each one with the cost of tuition less than the last letter.

I can't tell you not to take it because they very well may have good classes (by mail, if I recall correctly)... I just never had the money to do it and then they stopped mailing things to me.

My writing site and blog is found under the pen name Phenix Jira: Main Site; and FB;
dee

Postby dee » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:58 am

I did take their course on writing for children and teenagers a few year ago. I would highly recommend it. It gave me the discipline I needed to stay on track because I actually had assignments due. Once I sent the assignements to the instructor, she would send them back with a letter of very detailed constructive criticism and suggestions on improving. She would also point out my strongpoints, which I was glad to hear because I didn't realize at that time I had any strong points. The course gives you lots of material that you can keep and use for future reference. They also have sections dedicated to teaching you how to market your work, write a query letter, and choose your market, etc. I had several short stories ready to submit to different magazines by the time I was finished with the course. It was a great experience for me and when it was over, I actually missed the correspondence with my instructor.
Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi. I am posting this here becasue I am not sure where to do it. It's just a question: whenever you relate to a personal experience in a story, what do you do to be as objective as possible?
"I think that in order to understand other people's suffering and distress one must have, among other things, a great imagination."

YOU ARE TO ME WHAT YOU CHOSE TO BE.
fiona
Master Tripper

Postby fiona » Tue May 20, 2008 9:55 pm

Act as if you were a character. It helps to think that many people can relate to your story because of their own experience. :-P
Know me by what I did today.
dee

Postby dee » Wed May 21, 2008 5:23 am

[quote="Daniel"]Hi. I am posting this here becasue I am not sure where to do it. It's just a question: whenever you relate to a personal experience in a story, what do you do to be as objective as possible?[/quote]

When it's fiction, I don't always try to make it objective. It is what it is and I draw from that. Characters are created sometimes by people we have known (or a combination of them). Sometimes the theme is related to a personal experience, but I don't make it verbatim what someone has done or said. Mainly, I'd say I take a strand of a person or a situation, change it and turn it into it's own new person or situation.

I guess it depends on what you're writing.
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:54 am

Mlou tells me that I should post my book on the "promos" here to let everyone know it's out. Is this the "promos"? Just in case it is, the book is entitled,

Celtic Queen, an Epic Poem by Cynthia M. Bateman (that's me!) It's available through Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble.com and Tate Publishing.com in both print and audio formats.

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:37 am

Hi Mae...

Why don't you start your own thread. It will stand out more and if you're title says something about being published and out in bookstores... it will definitely stand out!!!

Oh... and yes, this is the area on WT to post it. :)

Congratulations, by the way!!
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:14 am

mae, Congratulations!!
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:53 pm

Actually, the place is "For Sale/Promos". Find it under "All Forums".
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:59 pm

That's true... I've seen posts of this type in both places.
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Re: What's the Writer's Life All About?

Postby timberline » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Don't know where I discovered CommuterLit, an online story-a-day magazine run out of Toronto, but I've published five stories there since last summer. They have a high 63% acceptance rate, and a feed to your in-box. This makes it "low hanging fruit" to pick. But newbies might take a look at it. More at http://commuterlit.com/.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:39 pm

Thanks Timber!! I'll have to take a look. :!:
dee

Postby dee » Fri May 06, 2016 4:03 am

Thanks for that info, TImber :)

Return to “The Writer's Life - Techniques, Characterization, Writing Ideas, & More”