New Member Here :)

A place to introduce yourself.

Moderators: JillStar, Metaphor Makers

Supposemegolden

New Member Here :)

Postby Supposemegolden » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Hey everybody!

I'm new to this website. Mostly I am looking to join a writing group and get started critiquing and being critiqued but I am also interested in participating in some of the fun activities available here (like the tag stories etc).

I am 19 years old, in college, and I aspire to one day publish in the fantasy genre. I look forward to meeting people here and getting to know them well.

P.S. The writing groups don't seem to be active. The last post I could see was from March of 2009. Does anyone know anything else about this?

Thanks,

Kendall
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Hello there!
And welcome!
I'm Elle! I'm the second youngest member the 16 yr old
ever wanna chat Pm me
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 am

Welcome, welcome!

The activity in the individual writing groups ebbs and flows with time. We always have the large writing group open for anybody to post something for a larger audience to look at.

If you love fantasy you must read it too. Who's your favorite author(s)? What's the latest fantasy/sci-fi novel you've read? Do you read any short story collections/anthologies? Since there is such a difference in story structure between novels and short stories it helps to read the style you'll want to be writing in.

I love fantasy and sci-fi. Right now I've been more on a sci-fi kick than fantasy and I can't figure out why. My favorite fantasy author is Stephen R. Donaldson but I also like Brandon Sanderson, Tad Williams and many others.
Is this my reality or yours?
Supposemegolden

Postby Supposemegolden » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Oh okay, well I'd love to get into a fantasy writing group but if it is inactive I'd love to be a part of the large group too. I don't have to just write fantasy but I would just like to improve my writing skills however I can.

I read mostly fantasy novels. My favorite authors are Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, Robert Jordan, and Brandon Sanderson. Right now I try to read YA fantasy with a slightly lower reading level than Jordan or George Martin because I am in school and don't have a consistent amount of time to invest in a large series. I started the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series a long time ago when I was a kid but never finished the first book so I haven't gotten back around to it yet but Brandon Sanderson highly recommends it so it has a fairly high priority on my list when I get around to reading larger books again this summer.

I am usually not too interested in Sci-fi unless it is a genre blend with fantasy elements. I did like what I've read of the Ender saga though.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:27 am

Oh, I forgot about Robert Jordan. :scaredbad: And I have a lot of the DragonLance books (until they got so plentiful that my bank account couldn't keep up with them). Have you tried any Roger Zelanzy books? The stories I've read are quick and easy to follow. If you want something easy durring school I would NOT suggest Stephen R. Donaldson. He's difinitely a "I-have-time-to-think-in-the-summer" author.
Is this my reality or yours?
Supposemegolden

Postby Supposemegolden » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:25 pm

No I have heard of him but never read anything from him. I will have to try them both over the summer.
Fireflare77
Master Tripper

Postby Fireflare77 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:16 am

Hey there, I'm Spencer- glad to "meet" you.

*Elle* wrote:Hello there!
And welcome!
ever wanna chat Pm me

So does that make me the youngest? :(
FireFlare77

I often sit here, in this chair, writing, oblivious to the passing of time.

It's not always rainbows and butterflies, it's compromise that moves us along.
<--Maroon5
Chris725
Wordtripper

Postby Chris725 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:35 am

I'm new here, too! :)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:49 pm

We love new members! I'm the resident Mistress of Horror...only cause no one else wants to stay and play with me. When Jill pops in, she will talk to you about fantasy, she's been working on a period fantasy (I believe).

My goal is to have a novel published within a year. I have 5 manuscripts 2 horrors (paranormal),one murder/serial killer, one tongue-in-cheek romance and one children's fantasy.

Took a poll and I'm going with the initial horror based on wishes and superstitions. If you have any strange superstitions (yours or someone else's) i'm still collecting them.

Start playing with some of the activities here and then post your material for crit's in the large group...i have my red pen ready.

Join Chris and I in the Kiddie pool...we're having virtual margaritas.. 8)
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 am

Fireflare77 wrote:Hey there, I'm Spencer- glad to "meet" you.

*Elle* wrote:Hello there!
And welcome!
ever wanna chat Pm me

So does that make me the youngest? :(

Yes it does:)
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris

Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean

A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
Writingmom
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Writingmom » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Welcome! You'll love it when everyone's awake and writing... lol 8)
http://ldspaz.blogspot.com
~*~ Writing is life ~*~
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Actually, I think everyone is off hang-gliding for the summer! :D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America

Return to “Member Introductions”